Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 04:58 AM

371 posts, read 426,611 times

Advertisements

We don't need it. We're more of a service economy now not a factory led economy, and to be frank we don't need any more factories. If other country's laborers can assemble light fixtures assembly at a more efficient pace than the next country because of their comparative advantage, and we can produce financial analyst laborers very fast at a more effecient rate, than the previous country mention, because of our comparative advantage, then why are we having the conversation of keeping skilled blue collar jobs, ie. automobile parts facotry worker, in the united states? These jobs are becoming obsolete in our US economy and it's a good thing.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:10 AM

68,335 posts, read 54,455,929 times
One of our biggest advantages in WW II was the ability to quickly switch peace time manufacturing to production of the tools of war, I don't think I'd be quick to write off the skills and manufacturing capacity so easily.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:14 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,445,449 times
Oh, yeah, we need millions and millions of financial analysts, accountants, engineers, attorneys, doctors, etc.

A nation of all Chiefs and professionals and no Indians or people that professionals serve.

Sure thing.

No need for farmers, truckers, stevedores, mechanics, craftsmen, carpenters, electricians, plumbers, laborers (except for illegals)...we can all work in air conditioned high rises tapping away on computers and our food, heat, cooling, light, plastic wrappers, gasoline, oil, etc. will magically appear when needed.

And if we do offshore everything possible and then get into a war where normal trade can't happen, well, tough luck. The skill sets needed for manufacturing, energy production and farming will be gone, but what the heck.

On the other hand, we are one of the few countries in the world that could be totally self-sufficient in every aspect of production -- not even needing the rest of the world because we rich in every kind of resource -- but no, let's not do that. It makes too much sense.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:18 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,756,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diallomacedo View Post
We don't need it. We're more of a service economy now not a factory led economy, and to be frank we don't need any more factories. If other country's laborers can assemble light fixtures assembly at a more efficient pace than the next country because of their comparative advantage, and we can produce financial analyst laborers very fast at a more effecient rate, than the previous country mention, because of our comparative advantage, then why are we having the conversation of keeping skilled blue collar jobs, ie. automobile parts facotry worker, in the united states? These jobs are becoming obsolete in our US economy and it's a good thing.
In the long run we don't need manufacturing employment, but we do need manufacturing, and we also need something for those people to do to make a decent living.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:22 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,756,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post

No need for farmers, truckers, stevedores, mechanics, craftsmen, carpenters, electricians, plumbers, laborers.
Those are service industry jobs.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:26 AM

6,398 posts, read 6,288,505 times
I "get it" from an economic POV, but as for the humanistic view.....

Good luck telling the guy who's worked at GM for 20 years to go be a cab driver now.

All this shipping of part also damages the environment. So good luck telling you grandkids and beyond that we all wear face mask 24/7 because big business fired their ancestors and sold out their health and planet to take advantage of exploiting Chinese and Mexicans.

Hope the plastic chairs they buy a few times a year because they will be worth pennies provide enough comfort for those realities. If not, maybe they can take school trips to the garbage patch to worship all that we have accomplished via free trade.

Ahhhh..... greed.

Oops, i meant capitalism

Old 04-11-2016, 05:31 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,445,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Those are service industry jobs.
No, they are the blue collar jobs that the original poster said we don't need anymore.

Service industry equals waiters, dishwashers, hotel employees and the like.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I "get it" from an economic POV, but as for the humanistic view.....

Good luck telling the guy who's worked at GM for 20 years to go be a cab driver now.

All this shipping of part also damages the environment. So good luck telling you grandkids and beyond that we all wear face mask 24/7 because big business fired their ancestors and sold out their health and planet to take advantage of exploiting Chinese and Mexicans.

Hope the plastic chairs they buy a few times a year because they will be worth pennies provide enough comfort for those realities. If not, maybe they can take school trips to the garbage patch to worship all that we have accomplished via free trade.

Ahhhh..... greed.

Oops, i meant capitalism
I know this is the thing lol. These people aren't just laborers, they're people, and I do see over industrialization happening if we make the shift from manufacturing to service/professional too quickly. The thing is america's economy will always be diversified, but how much skilled blue collar can we ship away to keep up with global economy, better our citizens, and protect environment.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:47 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,391,106 times
This thread is one big central planning orgy for the sake of a megalomaniac's ego.

Stalin would be proud.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
One of our biggest advantages in WW II was the ability to quickly switch peace time manufacturing to production of the tools of war, I don't think I'd be quick to write off the skills and manufacturing capacity so easily.
This is true, however, are we going to have another wwII, do we need this large of a manufacturing base on reserve?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies