Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2016, 10:51 AM

371 posts, read 426,144 times

Advertisements

Residinghere2007...scholar implies that one is still learning. I'm not full of myself, I know that I only know a few things about slavery, but I do know more than the average. I'm saying everyone should be a scholar. I did take, runaway slaves in the american south, philosophy of race, race and ethnicity in brazil, economics of poverty alleviation, mainstream and marginalization in the US, the new jim crow and economic history of the US pre civil war.

Last edited by diallomacedo; 05-19-2016 at 11:08 AM..

Old 05-19-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
How does it not? Note the difference between the families described in this PBS article, and the Black neighborhoods they're fleeing:

Black Flight: Some Chicago African-Americans Flee City

What are those families doing differently that those left behind are not? See what I mean?
I'd flee those neighborhoods in chicago too. They are open air prisons that are monitored by police, and exploited routinely by the city of chicago. What you need to understand is that oppression is one sided, and if you can't see it, doesn't mean it is not there. Secondly, what you need to understand is that the city of chicago keeps people in this neighborhood in a constant cycle of poverty through a number of tactics. If you would like me to list them, please ask. Your response would be,"oh, I didn't believe people would do that in 2016." It's bad, and oppression is real. Chicago is the most segregated and racist place to live in America IMO. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:39 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diallomacedo View Post
I'd flee those neighborhoods in chicago too. They are open air prisons that are monitored by police, and exploited routinely by the city of chicago. What you need to understand is that oppression is one sided, and if you can't see it, doesn't mean it is not there.
Oh, I can see it. My point is that it's notably worse in liberal/Dem areas.

Quote:
Secondly, what you need to understand is that the city of chicago keeps people in this neighborhood in a constant cycle of poverty through a number of tactics. If you would like me to list them, please ask. Your response would be,"oh, I didn't believe people would do that in 2016." It's bad, and oppression is real. Chicago is the most segregated and racist place to live in America IMO. Correct me if I'm wrong.
No, you're correct. I'm well aware of how liberals/Dems oppress Blacks, from the Jim Crow laws in the South to the massive oppression continuously practiced to this day in Chicago.

Chicago: America's most segregated city - CNN - Jan. 5, 2016

Yet... WHO do Blacks vote for, time and time again? Their own oppressors.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:40 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Quote:
Chicago is the most segregated and racist place to live in America IMO. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I wouldn't say you are wrong,exactly, but I think there are places just as bad, more than a few of them: Detroit, ITP Atlanta, Baltimore, Ferguson, MO... it just might be possible that the "black area(s)" of all cities including NY, PA, DE, everything below the Mason/Dixon... there are only a few places, Southfield, MI comes to mind, Oak Park, IL... there aren't many places that aren't segregated as to the black population where the blacks in the black part aren't treated like you observe in Chicago.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:47 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Oh, I can see it. My point is that it's notably worse in liberal/Dem areas.

No, you're correct. I'm well aware of how liberals/Dems oppress Blacks, from the Jim Crow laws in the South to the massive oppression continuously practiced to this day in Chicago.

Yet... WHO do Blacks vote for, time and time again? Their own oppressors.
I need to have some of what you are on! What are you talking about?! Is TX a liberal/Dem area?! Texas has the singular distinction of having executed black men who didn't kill anyone! It still has black men on death row who did not kill anyone. Texas Corrections is one of few prison systems that does not pay inmates for their labor and uses them in meat packing, furniture manufacture and other industries. 60,000 men and women working for the man, for free, and the majority have not done anything that would be considered a felony in most other states. MS, MO, LA... liberal enclaves? I think not, and is the racial climate wonderful in those places? Honestly, trying to label something as pervasive as race relations as being a Liberal problem...

Old 05-19-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I wouldn't say you are wrong,exactly, but I think there are places just as bad
No, he's right. Maybe the other cities you mentioned are bad, but Chicago actually is the worst.

It also has the most dangerous neighborhood in the U.S., United Center Park.

Chicago Claims Most Dangerous U.S. Neighborhood: Study | NBC Chicago

The United Center is home to the Chicago Bulls and Blackhawks, and recently hosted some of the March Madness games. Been there many times. You do not EVER leave the immediate vicinity of the stadium and parking lots for ANY reason. PERIOD. Unless you're locked in your car heading south on Damen to the Eisenhower.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I need to have some of what you are on! What are you talking about?! Is TX a liberal/Dem area?! Texas has the singular distinction of having executed black men who didn't kill anyone!
They've done that to White men, as well. It's not just an anti-Black thing.

Cameron Todd Willingham – Innocent and Executed

Old 05-19-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I need to have some of what you are on! What are you talking about?! Is TX a liberal/Dem area?! Texas has the singular distinction of having executed black men who didn't kill anyone! It still has black men on death row who did not kill anyone. Texas Corrections is one of few prison systems that does not pay inmates for their labor and uses them in meat packing, furniture manufacture and other industries. 60,000 men and women working for the man, for free, and the majority have not done anything that would be considered a felony in most other states. MS, MO, LA... liberal enclaves? I think not, and is the racial climate wonderful in those places? Honestly, trying to label something as pervasive as race relations as being a Liberal problem...
Race relations differ from city to city. There's a correlation between deomocratic areas giving more opportunity to blacks. If you look neighborhood by neighborhood, I'm sure the county's surrounding chicago are mostly red.

Regardless, the best places to live as free as possible for an Af. Amer. are dc, montgomery county maryland, Denver proper, LA proper (not orange county). Everywhere else is too racist.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:25 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Quote:
Race relations differ from city to city. There's a correlation between deomocratic areas giving more opportunity to blacks. If you look neighborhood by neighborhood, I'm sure the county's surrounding chicago are mostly red.

Regardless, the best places to live as free as possible for an Af. Amer. are dc, montgomery county maryland, Denver proper, LA proper (not orange county). Everywhere else is too racist.

Cool story kiddo.

Old 05-19-2016, 02:13 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
I'm speaking in terms of pride as a collective group. I don't focus on the individual, ever. It's all about the group, and if I may say, people of the european diaspora enact group think a lot in regards to race--that's why some are rallying behind trump.

For some light heartedness, I asked a friend, who's not white nor black, and is politically aware, "what would you do if you were white for a day?"

He said, "I would walk into a room and only acknowledge other white people, I would act like I don't hear what anyone says unless they're white, I'd act like everyone has the same privledges as me, and if anyone is not doing optimum in life it's their fault not anyone elses, I'd only go to places that were mostly white, and if I end up in a place where I'm not the majority, I'd bring attention to it, more than once, I'd walk around as a preacher and tell everyone what their group is doing wrong even though I don't know many of them besides what I see in the media, when a friend tells me 'someone stole my phone' I dont say sorry initially, I ask 'was he black'" *sips coffee*

I don't live by stereotypes, but this bit was funny. Don't be that stereotype. Europe & the diaspora.

Groups don't have pride. ONLY individuals can have pride, and for it to be rational pride, it needs to be tied to single, solitary, individual achievement.

Worrying about silliness like slavery is condemning oneself to a life of misery, failure, and despair. You're doing it to yourself by hiding in the irrelevant past instead of concentrating on what you individually and personally can do to perfect the planet and advance your life. Focusing on slavery is as irrelevant and pointless as focusing on the dinosaurs.

You need to concentrate on your single solitary individual self and what you can contribute and what value you can bring to make your life, and the lives of those around you, meaningful. Not groups. Concentrating and hiding in groups is intellectual suicide and a prescription for a wasted and irrelevant life. There is no refuge in sheepifying your existence. Only failure and self-destruction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies