Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 07:52 PM

129 posts, read 163,178 times

Advertisements

I was just looking at the Presidents Instagram. I noticed a post on a women he pardoned. I had no idea people were getting life sentences for ridiculous things like this https://instagram.com/p/BFM-KFVQitL/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 09:03 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,857,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeazabird View Post
I was just looking at the Presidents Instagram. I noticed a post on a women he pardoned. I had no idea people were getting life sentences for ridiculous things like this https://instagram.com/p/BFM-KFVQitL/
Pardons one, imprisons thousands by keeping the war on drugs alive.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:03 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,628,472 times
Be careful of what company you keep.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:19 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,364,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Be careful of what company you keep.
Yes, because you know everything about everyone around you. Somehow you feel that not doing so justifies a life sentence?

In the end...wrong is wrong. And that was a miscarriage of justice.

Old 05-11-2016, 05:34 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,529,442 times
Mandatory sentences and other isanities brought to us by the "war on drugs" that has become a war on the citizenry.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:13 AM

59,014 posts, read 27,284,678 times
Quote:
"We may not necessarily be involved with the crime, but knowing about it is what makes us guilty. Just knowing that they’re dealing drugs will bring about a guilty conviction."

I wonder how many young kids lives were ruined with the drugs she KNEW were being sold?

How many other peoples lives were ruined by becoming drug addicts?

How many DIED from an over dose?

How many crimes were committed in order to steal things to "fence" the stolen goods and and get the money to by MORE drugs?

I have a suggestion for you. INSTEAD of praising obama for letting this scum back on the streets, how about YOU getting in touch with some of the family members who have been affected by the drugs she KNEW were being sold and did NOTHING ABOUT IT and ask THEM how THEY feel.

Actions AND INACTION'S have consequences.

It is a shame some cant think past their own biases.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:30 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,766,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Yes, because you know everything about everyone around you. Somehow you feel that not doing so justifies a life sentence?

In the end...wrong is wrong. And that was a miscarriage of justice.
Reading about the case, she admits knowing ever detail of the $37M interstate drug operation, even participating indirectly in major drug buys and directly in weapon sales. She personally trafficked arms and carried illegal weapons.
She is not completely innocent. The issue, though, is that it sounds pretty clearly that her husband would have killed her and her children if she did not participate; and none of this was allowed to be entered into evidence.
She probably should have served some time, but the life sentence without parole is the bizarre part. Considering that other pretty serious crimes she did admit to, there's a good chance she would have served about 20 years anyway.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:32 AM

129 posts, read 163,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"We may not necessarily be involved with the crime, but knowing about it is what makes us guilty. Just knowing that they’re dealing drugs will bring about a guilty conviction."

I wonder how many young kids lives were ruined with the drugs she KNEW were being sold?

How many other peoples lives were ruined by becoming drug addicts?

How many DIED from an over dose?

How many crimes were committed in order to steal things to "fence" the stolen goods and and get the money to by MORE drugs?

I have a suggestion for you. INSTEAD of praising obama for letting this scum back on the streets, how about YOU getting in touch with some of the family members who have been affected by the drugs she KNEW were being sold and did NOTHING ABOUT IT and ask THEM how THEY feel.

Actions AND INACTION'S have consequences.

It is a shame some cant think past their own biases.
No one is saying she is innocent. The point being made is that a life sentence for her involvement is ridiculous. She killed no one. Selling drugs is a terrible thing to do anD should be punished, but life in prison for a nonviolent crime is preposterous. We have been engaged in the war on drugs for decades and spending an enormous amount of money on it. A drive through any of the communities most affected by these policies show quite clearly the war is not working. We should have the maturity as a nation to acknowledge when a policy doesn't work, and move on to one that does.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:27 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
A drive through any of the communities most affected by these policies show quite clearly the war is not working. We should have the maturity as a nation to acknowledge when a policy doesn't work, and move on to one that does.
It's actually worked exactly as intended. You just have to acknowledge the fact that it was never about stopping drugs.

Quote:
You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin. And then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities... We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did.
Report: Nixon aide says war on drugs targeted blacks, hippies - CNNPolitics.com

This shouldn't surprise anyone given how drug laws are selectively enforced against minorities and the mandatory sentences for "black" drugs are much higher than "white" drugs.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:30 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,608,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Mandatory sentences and other isanities brought to us by the "war on drugs" that has become a war on the citizenry.

Mandatory anything, is an injustice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies