Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 06:45 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times

Advertisements

We see the phrase classical liberal thrown around by libertarians quite often on here. My question is if they are that, what do you call liberals and then conservatives.

Before anyone brings it up, to me the two side of the same coin argument implies they want the same exact thing which in ways they do it is the position that the party takes it on. Conservatism wants big government in the bedroom while liberals want it for the little guy and minorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 06:48 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Statists and non-statists. That's all there is.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:49 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
I don't know that I've ever seen it. I'm not sure why people are so intent on painting people into their acceptable boxes.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:52 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,786,030 times
American politics make no sense because most Democrats or "liberals" are actually center-right or right. U.S. Republicans are way - way - to the right, I don't think there's any place on earth with more conservative politicians other than the Middle East.

I think you're generally right, but both our posts are subjective and I'm sure someone will disagree with me.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:26 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
We see the phrase classical liberal thrown around by libertarians quite often on here. My question is if they are that, what do you call liberals and then conservatives.
Classical liberal generally refers to free markets and deregulation.

Social liberal generally refers to human rights, a strong welfare state, focus on economic equality.

In American politics, "Libertarianism" is an extreme right-wing version of classical liberalism, "Conservative" is like a blend of theocracy and moderate classical liberalism, and "Liberal" refers to a sort of centrist Social liberalism blended with Classical liberalism.

Clear as mud?

Old 05-27-2016, 08:39 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Statists and non-statists. That's all there is.
As I said before, republicans and democrats especially when you compare conservatives to democrats, are exact two sides of the same coin. It is true they are statist in their own ways BUT at the same time, they are polar opposites. Rockefellers and Democrats on the other hand, you have a point and I say that as one because of the mudslinging conservatives try to paint on people like me.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:55 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:

Before anyone brings it up, to me the two side of the same coin argument implies they want the same exact thing which in ways they do it is the position that the party takes it on. Conservatism wants big government in the bedroom while liberals want it for the little guy and minorities.

Another fable.

Believe me, I don't give a fig newton what's going on in your bedroom. And if there were a "government policy" in which the gubment stuck its beak in your bedroom, it sure wouldn't be liberals who'd speak out and fight against it.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:19 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
As I said before, republicans and democrats especially when you compare conservatives to democrats, are exact two sides of the same coin. It is true they are statist in their own ways BUT at the same time, they are polar opposites. Rockefellers and Democrats on the other hand, you have a point and I say that as one because of the mudslinging conservatives try to paint on people like me.
I just see them (Dems, Repubs) as the same.

Arguing over how to spend stolen money (at gunpoint mind you) is a bit too cryptic and outright psychotic for me.

I always picture the statists (both parties) as robbers sitting around a poker table fresh off a heist fighting over how to divide up their ill-gotten gains.

The thing this forum has shown me is that the statists are more individualistic than I previously thought. They don't follow the party platform to the letter like you see in the media.

I don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing though. On one hand it's good that folks try to take things issue by issue. On the other hand it's still people thinking (in great detail) on how other people should live...and at gunpoint.

Old 05-28-2016, 06:21 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Classical liberal generally refers to free markets and deregulation.

Social liberal generally refers to human rights, a strong welfare state, focus on economic equality.

In American politics, "Libertarianism" is an extreme right-wing version of classical liberalism, "Conservative" is like a blend of theocracy and moderate classical liberalism, and "Liberal" refers to a sort of centrist Social liberalism blended with Classical liberalism.

Clear as mud?
Agreed it's 'clear as mud'. & Most attempts to clarify seem somewhat 'cartoonish' to me. Although I do enjoy Barry Deutsch's '24 Types of Libertarian' because while humorous, it reveals or exposes some realities in a funny way.

& 'An Caps' sometimes remind me of Greta Garbo, "I want to be alone. ... I want to be left alone." Ms. Garbo was an old, grand type of movie actress, very popular in the 1930's. YouTube has the famous scene where she very dramatically spoke the words & they became part of her real-life persona.

Old 05-28-2016, 06:48 AM

35,704 posts, read 21,063,743 times
don't know but all here in Orlando picking a leader
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies