Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 08:33 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times

Advertisements

Reagan wasn't such a bargain. He would have been impeached for fighting his secret war.(Iran contra) if he hadn't lost his mind and people felt sorry for him...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 08:42 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Exactly, you stick to economic arguments. Anything else is politically foolish at best and racist at worst.
What killed it for me was watching a documentary, about the Arizona militias patrolling the border , and the leader of a small group who is white, kept saying how this isn't about racism and we're not a racist group that it's just liberals doing a smear job. But then later on in the documentary he said what happens when you put 2 breeds of dogs together in the same cage, they fight with each other. And his answer was to separate the 2 dogs into different cages because they aren't compatible, 2 different breeds. Are you kidding me? He just proved all the accusations against his group

I'll join the kick the illegals out bandwagon tomorrow if the majority of people wanting to kick the illegals out didn't want it out of spite, but out of respect for our legal system. And I'll tell you A LOT more minorities and mixed race people would also be on board if the morons had duct tape around their mouths, and then something would actually get done, instead of the can being kicked down the road. A lot of guys on the right are making this into a social wedge issue like the bathroom bills, instead of actual policy

Old 05-30-2016, 08:52 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
What killed it for me was watching a documentary, about the Arizona militias patrolling the border , and the leader of a small group who is white, kept saying how this isn't about racism and we're not a racist group that it's just liberals doing a smear job. But then later on in the documentary he said what happens when you put 2 breeds of dogs together in the same cage, they fight with each other. And his answer was to separate the 2 dogs into different cages because they aren't compatible, 2 different breeds. Are you kidding me? He just proved all the accusations against his group

I'll join the kick the illegals out bandwagon tomorrow if the majority of people wanting to kick the illegals out didn't want it out of spite, but out of respect for our legal system. And I'll tell you A LOT more minorities and mixed race people would also be on board if the morons had duct tape around their mouths, and then something would actually get done, instead of the can being kicked down the road. A lot of guys on the right are making this into a social wedge issue like the bathroom bills, instead of actual policy
Had an acquaintance in a bar I used to frequent who was really big into Southern heritage. We had talked about a half dozen times. He would show photos of Confederate graves, memorials, etc. He was always sure to add it was just about heritage, not race. Then came him showing me a picture of his wife. I then showed him a picture of my Filipina wife. His jaw dropped, the conversation became stressed. He finished his beer and left.

Having said that, economically there are winners and losers from illegal immigration. I know I am a net winner. However, low skilled workers are definitely losers.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Or here's a thought. How about hospitals like in the days before Reagan?
That is what I meant by fancy prisons. I can see you missed the article I linked. The release of the mentally ill began long before Reagan was President.

Quote:
O’Connor v. Donaldson, 422 U.S. 563 (1975), the Supreme Court found a constitutional right to liberty for mental health patients: "There is...no constitutional basis for confining such persons involuntarily if they are dangerous to no one.
Notice that was 1975. I believe the ACLU was very involved in freeing the mentally ill.

Last edited by whogo; 05-30-2016 at 09:09 AM..

Old 05-30-2016, 10:59 AM

572 posts, read 280,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Reagan's legacy is the near destruction of the middle class with his wealth redistribution programs from the poor to the rich and increasing the government by 15% and the size of the military by 40%.

I'd say today's GOP honors him in everything they do.
Absolutely this.

Old 05-30-2016, 03:02 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Actually, Reagan is part and parcel of why today's GOP is in the straits today. What's worked for him and the GOP for many decades, however, is not working today.

He's embraced the Southern Strategy of wedge issue politics as a electoral strategy.

His electoral coalition was about marrying traditional big business economics with social conservative issues exhorted by the evangelicals.

This formula has been breaking down in the last decade or so.

Old 05-30-2016, 03:44 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,235,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The Republican Party of Ronald Reagan was not the Southern fundamentalist xenophobic party we have today. While it did have an element of that, Reagan had a diverse coalition and he did some things that today's GOP would never sign off on. He had a very progressive policy towards immigration for instance. Reagan paid lip service to the religious right but I am not sure to what extent he thought we should be a theocracy like today's GOP candidates do. While his economic policies are rightly criticized and a lot of people were left out, a lot of the country did pretty well in the late 1980s. After he left office up until his death in 2004, he was widely thought of as a successful President.

Today however, due to the fact the modern GOP has remade Reagan into their image, he has become much more polarizing and his image has taken a beating. Would anybody else agree with this?

Insisting that your government enforce it's border controls (which it is Constitutionally required to do) isn't "xenophobic". But calling it "xenophobic" is definitely deranged and out of touch with Reality.

The only people that routinely try to damage Reagan's image are Leftist hacks who will never understand him.

You're welcome.

Old 05-30-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Every time you walk past a mentally ill homeless person, or see a $200,000 sports car zoom past a ghetto, or hear that the national deficit has increased by another few million, the ghost of Reagan rides again.
LOL! What a bunch of nonsense.

Old 05-30-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Look, there's a difference between wanting to enforce the laws, a d the rhetoric coming out of white people's mouths. But you're a white man at best, or an Uncle Tom in denial at worst, either you can't see it or refuse to see it. I feel sorry for the few decent white guys on here who have opened their eyes up, but too many either are so combative, or choose to bury their heads in the sand and pretend what they say has no effect on anyone at all

It's one thing arguing for enforcing our immigration laws and rules from a law and order perspective, and quite another when you approach it from a racial demographic and cultural superiority angle.
Who does that?

Old 05-30-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Actually, Reagan is part and parcel of why today's GOP is in the straits today. What's worked for him and the GOP for many decades, however, is not working today.

He's embraced the Southern Strategy of wedge issue politics as a electoral strategy.

His electoral coalition was about marrying traditional big business economics with social conservative issues exhorted by the evangelicals.

This formula has been breaking down in the last decade or so.
Reagan saw what happened to Goldwater. He had to expand on Goldwater's base. Yes, he made a deal with the devil; evangelicals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies