Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 09:21 PM

251 posts, read 311,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
wow america may actually turn into a safe country and we cant have that can we???!!
That would be great wouldn't it? But we have too many gun goobers for that, unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 09:48 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,347,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Because California has also banned open carry. So no form of bareing arms is allowed via law, thus flying in the face of the 2nd amendment.
You can thank Ronald Reagan for that.

California Governor Ronald Reagan commented that he saw “no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons.” and that guns were a “ridiculous way to solve problems that have to be solved among people of good will and would work no hardship on the honest citizen.”

Governor Ronald Reagan signed the bill, (the Mulford Act) in 1967 and it became California penal code 25850 and 171c.

To think a politician would use common sense. Amazing.

Maybe that is why I voted for him, for governor, and later President.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:56 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,877,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post

California Governor Ronald Reagan commented that he saw “no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons.” and that guns were a “ridiculous way to solve problems that have to be solved among people of good will and would work no hardship on the honest citizen.”

Governor Ronald Reagan signed the bill, (the Mulford Act) in 1967 and it became California penal code 25850 and 171c.

Ronald Reagan, who knew? And where have all the normal Republican's gone? A question I ask myself every time I visit P&C on CD.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Ronald Reagan, who knew? And where have all the normal Republican's gone? A question I ask myself every time I visit P&C on CD.
Common sense use to be the hallmark of the Republican party.
Now it's name calling, insults, and degrading anyone who doesn't agree with them on every issue.
The party of ideas became the party of nothing.

Here is a little article on how things have changed.
How Ronald Reagan learned to love gun control

Old 06-14-2016, 10:55 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:

Surprised you are happy about Jim Crow laws being passed. Ca legislators got all scared when black people legally armed themselves, can't have that, better make it illegal for "citizen" which was code for minorities to carry loaded guns, make them get this permit that would only be issued to white folks.

Gun control is the last remaining remnant of Jim Crow, I wonder why it is so strongly supported by democrats.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Surprised you are happy about Jim Crow laws being passed. Ca legislators got all scared when black people legally armed themselves, can't have that, better make it illegal for "citizen" which was code for minorities to carry loaded guns, make them get this permit that would only be issued to white folks.

Gun control is the last remaining remnant of Jim Crow, I wonder why it is so strongly supported by democrats.
Ah, now 'citizen' is 'code' for minorities. That's a new one.

There was no separate permit, so the law affected everyone equally, so trying to portray it as a Jim Crow law is a bit of a stretch. But like so many other ignoratio elenchi, you failed to answer if the former president was correct or as you put it, a Jim Crow democrat.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:20 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:

Actually no, you don't have Ronald Reagan to thank for that. Fact is, open carry was still generally allowed in California up until a few years ago. In fact, when this case was in the District Court, before it went to the 9th Circuit, one of the reasons they ruled that California could put tighter regulations on concealed carry, was because the right to carry a firearm was accommodated by the state in the form of open carry. Then, while this case was still making it's way through the courts, California took steps to effectively ban open carry as well. I know it's asking a lot to actually know what your talking about, but please do try.

Secondly, as already pointed out to you, Ronald Reagan made his comments in an era of extreme racial tension. It was all about keeping the black man unarmed. All them white California Liberals couldn't have black men walking their streets with guns, now could they? Never fails to amaze me how willing Liberals are to defend a racist policy when it suits their agenda.
Quote:
Common sense use to be the hallmark of the Republican party.
Now it's name calling, insults, and degrading anyone who doesn't agree with them on every issue.
The party of ideas became the party of nothing.

Here is a little article on how things have changed.
How Ronald Reagan learned to love gun control
Wow, it's truly amazing how blinded you are to how much these things describe the people in your own party.
Quote:
Ah, now 'citizen' is 'code' for minorities. That's a new one.

There was no separate permit, so the law affected everyone equally, so trying to portray it as a Jim Crow law is a bit of a stretch. But like so many other ignoratio elenchi, you failed to answer if the former president was correct or as you put it, a Jim Crow democrat.
Right. Everyone had to apply for the permit. Whites got the permit, blacks didn't. That was how the Democratic Party kept the black man unarmed after the civil war.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:28 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn wow america may actually turn into a safe country and we cant have that can we???!!
Before you get too excited, consider this: Every state under the jurisdiction of the 9th Circuit Court already has permissive concealed carry laws on the books where it's very easy to get the permit, except for California and Hawaii. Even the majority of counties in California will happily issue you a permit to carry. It's only a few that won't. Sorry if that rains on your celebration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies