Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 12:51 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,913,612 times

Advertisements

MlK rosa parks fedrick Douglas, Harriet Tubman or always referenced in American history. There is so much more to learn about how blacks men and women really contributed to this society.

I was really shocked to see Fox News air this. They don't teach this in public school. So much has been left out. Half truths lies etc.

http://youtu.be/SdNJg9cRj18
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 12:55 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,592,559 times
Black history IS American history. As I've read more American history I've found so many black people have done so many great things in the past. And yes our government schools does cover this us. But I think they want to show that black people can't get ahead without white people's help. A lot of the black leaders they toss in our face always acted like they needed white people to get over. And this is to keep black people loyal to government and to look to them as the savior. Part of the liberal agenda.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:00 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times
History is something which has to be "condensed" and oversimplified to appeal within an increasingly feminized and sensitized public school system.

Since we're talking about individual personalities, what about Prince Hall? An emancipated, articulate African American who broke new ground in the power structure of his times well before the Civil War -- and all of it by peaceful dialogue within the rarefied culture of the Masonic Lodges.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Hall

Not what BLM has in mind, I'm sure.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:21 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,913,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Black history IS American history. As I've read more American history I've found so many black people have done so many great things in the past. And yes our government schools does cover this us. But I think they want to show that black people can't get ahead without white people's help. A lot of the black leaders they toss in our face always acted like they needed white people to get over. And this is to keep black people loyal to government and to look to them as the savior. Part of the liberal agenda.
A lot of public schools are not teaching this. The average white or black middle school or high school kid couldn't tell you these stories and truths if asked.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-19-2016 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 04-18-2016, 01:30 PM

11,802 posts, read 5,804,343 times
People these days don't know who the Vice President is so I don't expect many to remember any history they've been taught. History is American History and when taught 40 - 50 yrs - we covered many important blacks and their contributions. The first grade school historical biography book report I did was on George Washington Carver.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:39 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,844,280 times
As an American I look at what everyone, known and unknown, accomplished prior to my coming onto this planet as my history. Not just if they were white, black, asian, elite, poor, etc.

Like I always see my descendants came and their loyalty and culture went from Kaiser and King to the Constitution. Became as American within one generation as those who were have been here for several.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:49 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,592,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
A lot of public schools are not teaching this. The average white or black middle school or high school kid couldn't tell you these stories and truths if asked.
It was a typo, I meant "aren't"

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-19-2016 at 10:19 AM..

Old 04-18-2016, 02:07 PM

643 posts, read 472,177 times
Black history should comprise no more than the percentage it played in history. Say it is about 5 percent of American history then it should hold no more than 5 percent in the history class on American History. This lets make up crap to make blacks feel better is feeding the bears. It dose no one any good not even the bears.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:11 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Didn't watch the video as don't have time right now, but IMO most history in general is not within history books.

I have always been interested in history and at the age of 8 became heavily interested in black American history in particular, especially the unknown/untold stories of many well known black figures. Like Sojourner Truth, I found out did not speak English until she was an adult due to being the slave of Dutch farmers in New York. Also that slavery was not confined to the old south.

When I was a teenager, I got interested in genealogy and learning my family's history. Due to that, I have learned a LOT about specific communities and locations of which my ancestors resided, including the old south (VA and SC in particular), Pennsylvania and Maryland along with Canada. I was surprised to learn I had multiple lines on my maternal sides of free persons of color and that 10% of the population of the US in 1860 were free people of color, majority black persons (nearly 500k people).

They especially are very rarely talked about in school. I personally feel that more local history should be taught in schools. Where I live we have had black people here since the city was founded and even before that when it was known as the old Wild West (I live in NW OH). Hardly anyone here knows of the black history of our area or even the history in general of our area. History IMO is very inspirational and shows what people can do if they put their minds to it.

It is a dream of mind to start an organization that conducts culture clinics on black Americans, especially for the benefit of African Americans, but I love to share my love of black history and culture with anyone. Many people, no matter their background usually are enlightened in some way. Especially where I live and I share our local history.

For black history month I did a presentation on our school district, which was integrated in the 1870s, nearly 100 years before most of the country. Our area was very innovative in education especially and everyone enjoyed that program and feature both black and non-black. We also have an interesting history in regards to feminism (Gloria Steinem's grandmother lived here and was very active in education and suffrage/women's rights in the early 20th century). The Black church and its history is equally as fascinating on the local level as it is nationwide IMO. The AME Church's history (my family have been AME since the 1700s) is one of gret inspiration to me even though I am not religious. The social clubs/societies of black people, the black press, black abolitionist and even the black military experience are just not topics that are readily spoken about by many.

Most people do not care much about history it seems or they attempt to re-write it or define it in terms of the modern era, which is unnecessary IMO.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:15 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarjoe View Post
Black history should comprise no more than the percentage it played in history. Say it is about 5 percent of American history then it should hold no more than 5 percent in the history class on American History. This lets make up crap to make blacks feel better is feeding the bears. It dose no one any good not even the bears.
Black history is intertwined with the whole of "American" history. We are Americans and have been here for generations (black people that is). I have traced my family back to the 1700s and the Revolutionary era. Most white Americans are descendants of recent immigrants, however we (rightfully) include the immigrant experience in history classes, yet we exclude many aspects of black American history and culture and especially so as it pertains to free persons of color.

American history would not be what it is without us and IMO it should be told in a chronological fashion including the black people and natives who were in this country and moving forward to include all the other groups of persons who have become America.

This is why, as stated above, I feel it should be more of a local history courses throughout the country, maybe focused on states to ensure that different perspectives of the American narrative are shared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies