Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 05:36 PM

87 posts, read 75,733 times

Advertisements

I am not American. But, I do care what happens there as America leads the world and I grew up on mostly American movies and TV. What I get is that in the 1930s and the 1940s (before and after the WWII) the USA was generally much better off than now. There was more patriotism, community spirit and much less terrorism and bombings. Much less school shootings as well, right? Sure, there were horrible things like sexism, homophobia and racism but in reality we still have them today to a certain extent. The difference is there is no community spirit in the West, people are too individualistic now. When a society becomes too individualistic it is easier to destroy it from the inside, it's an easy target. I bet something like these things would cause an outrage in 1940s America, but now people are "oh a new shooting, ok" until next time. We're so desensitized as it's so common to have shootings and bombings now. But aren't we supposed to be in a time of peace, there is no official war?! Now people cannot even run a da*n marathon or visit a movie theater with no risk.

Do you think it's high time to go back to isolationism or at least not bothering with "spreading peace" in the Middle East or elsewhere? Let me tell you - my Iraqi flatmate got pissed off after the Paris attacks as in her words "It's bad and sad for those innocent people, but no one cares about people dying in Iraq and Syria everyday for years and the Western world and USA are killing innocent people there. Why "I am Paris" and not "I am Iraq"?!"

See, even after the Western Intervention in the Middle East life in most countries there is not rosy. Not only that, but I feel that they think it's the West who are at fault for their suffering. If they hate the US and the west why should we go there and spread peace, why not leave them alone!? I bet that in the 1940s people in Iraq did not hate the USA as they do now. Believe me, the US intervention does nothing good for its image worldwide, quite the contrary. So why not focus on fixing your internal issues first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 05:47 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times
Absolutely.

The US has the luxury of being geographically separated from the most troublesome parts of the world at the moment. So there's no need to get or remain involved in the issues there. Get out of the Middle East, and stop importing refugees or other immigrants from those countries.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:18 PM

7,682 posts, read 5,533,957 times
Michael, I can't believe that think that the U.S. was much better off in the 1930s than it is now. Have you never heard of the Great Depression?

Old 06-12-2016, 06:26 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Yes. But not really isolationism....non interventionism.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:55 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,357,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yes, was going to post this exact thing.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:58 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,072,628 times
mindyourownbusinessism

Old 06-12-2016, 07:11 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,602,001 times
The US needs to stop being the policeman of the world. It needs to mind its own business. The only candidate to address this and ask "Why is the US all over the globe" has been Donald Trump. Hillary wants to continue sending military everywhere. We need candidates who are more libertarian on the topic and end this intervention the US has all over the world.
The US needs to Mind Its Own Business for sure. It was US intervention that created ISIS, The Taliban, Al Qaeda, and all of the other terrorist organizations. Saddam Hussein did a good job keeping the Islamic State at bay. They exploded on the scene (literally) after his execution. The US is 100% at fault for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQuceU3x2Ww

Old 06-12-2016, 08:24 PM

87 posts, read 75,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
mindyourownbusinessism
I just want to visit an America like the one from the 1980s - prosperous and with much less terrorism than today. Or even better - the 1940s pre or post-war America - patriotic, community spirit, modest young people and everyone minding their own damn business not shouting insults at Walmart (sans racism though). A time when broken families were the exception and not the norm. A time when people ate real food without additives and hormones, so they didn't need to buy dozens of artificial supplements and vitamins. Before they added HFCS and starch to everything, promoting diabetes. Before GMOs. And it is my business because the US dictates the rules. Don't you get it?

Old 06-12-2016, 08:30 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I agree. Time to get out of the Middle East and admit we have no business there. We did it in Vietnam and we can do it again.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:38 PM

30,385 posts, read 19,184,321 times
I think we should go back to isolationism, pull our troops out of every other country, stay out of other people's wars, and enforce our immigration laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies