Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 07:58 AM

45,615 posts, read 27,240,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
No, CFA did not "have" to do it. Seriously, what is with you guys? You simply will not, cannot, adamantly refuse to give credit where it's due.

The fact is: CFA opened up on a day that they aren't typically open.
The fact is: The employees cooked away to provide food (FREE!) for all the people donating blood.
The fact is: CFA did NOT "have" to do this.

Just stop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
I personally don't like gays either. I'm not religious at all, but I believe that the acceptance of such practices adds to the current massive relationship instability, high divorce rate, and declining values in this country.

With that said, I feel bad for the victims of this massacre. They did not deserve this, despite the fact that their lifestyle choices are deplorable.

CFA owners likely feel the same way.
Both of these responses from page 2 are SOLID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I am happy to give credit where credit is due, and here it is due.
But I still don't like other positions the company taken.
I try to be fair and balanced toward the company, and on occasion will patronize them.

Why do we have to totally love them or totally hate them? Why is that the normal attitude on every thing on City-Data?
This is a fair assessment.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 06-14-2016 at 08:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 07:59 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,116,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageCats View Post
Yeah, those white christians... they don't deserve news coverage.

Where was BLM, the ACLU, or any other civil rights minority / disenfranchised organization? Oh, that's right, they only care about their own causes!
Being white and Christian is the worst possible category there is in America.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:09 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,638,473 times
LMAO. We live in a world where, if fathers of certain ethnic groups stay with their families, they're called heroes. Where some mediocre poem written by a valedictorian is hailed as the greatest speech ever given. Where the White House invites Sara Bareilles to perform at a State Dinner, but asks her to include in one of her songs the Washington Performing Arts Children of the Gospel Choir, and then the audience turns to the choir and gives them a standing ovation, ignoring Ms Bareilles, who finally gets up on her feet, too. But say something positive about a company we all thought did the wrong thing years ago, but seems to have righted itself, and all of you consistently hailing the mediocre question what the big deal is.

Am I the only one seeing this disgusting trend?

If I was a minority, I'd be offended by gloating over the mediocre, as though I belonged to some group only capable of that.

Last edited by MPowering1; 06-14-2016 at 08:21 AM..

Old 06-14-2016, 08:41 AM

45,615 posts, read 27,240,441 times
CFA is really being consistent in their stance.

In their eyes, and mine as well, it is loving to say the gay lifestyle is not good - because it does have consequences. Whether you agree with that or not - that's their stance.

It is also loving to position themselves to help them out in times of crisis, even though they do not agree with those who practice homosexuality - even to the point of violating their own standards in working on Sunday.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:45 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,920,025 times
Really, OP? You're taking this opportunity to make Chick Fil A somehow a victim because they didn't get enough fawning press coverage for this? Maybe it was because the press were too busy covering the actual victims and their families as well as the various implications of this horrific tragedy.

Talk about the victim mentality.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:01 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,352,056 times
Some years ago, I had the misfortune to call a cab in an unfamiliar, predominately white and fairly isolated community. The conversation turned to my field of employment -- and within a couple of blocks, the loser behind the wheel launched into a diatribe about "the Jews who control all of 'big business' ". I could only conclude that this loser was peddling his personal agenda with every conversation he initiated.

And unfortunately, the strategy is also fairly common to a small, but very outspoken majority of Fundamentalist Evangelicals. I'm not referring to blatant anti-Semitism -- but to the conviction among too many of the Christian Right that their way is the only way. And that a distressing minority among them is as obsessed with power and authority as the faux liberals over there in Left Field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Being white and Christian is the worst possible category there is in America.
The resentment between the most fervent Evangelicals and the most fervent "Social Justice Warriors" is a double-edged sword.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:05 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,799,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
From CFA's Twitter:

The employees decided to do it.

If several members of your staff ask to open up to make a few chicken sandwiches for the blood donors contributing to the worst mass shooting in history you essentially have to do it or face a huge backlash.

Can you imagine a "no" from brass with the disappointed employees taking to social media?

Now that would go viral.

At the same time I really do hate the media so whatever.
There's nothing that can't be spun by some. No matter how good a thing they do, it'll never be a good enough.

BTW Sparky, who picked up the tab for the food and costs?

Could it be that as a Christian run business they actually practiced what they're taught, with no other motive except to help people?

Old 06-14-2016, 10:33 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,958,241 times
I am not impressed.

It was nothing but a cheap public relations gimmick.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:46 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,352,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I am not impressed.

It was nothing but a cheap public relations gimmick.
Would you have said the same thing if a gay-oriented organization contributed to the rebuilding of a burned-out Fundamentalist church? Or a feminist group to an Islamic center?

There is a great deal of a "holier than thou" attitude among many gay-friendly and supposedly-"progressive" interest groups.

And as an aside, I have heard some friends (not involved in sexual-orientation issues) ask why Chick-Fil-A isn't mandated by law to be open on Sundays. Clearly respect for individuality and decisions based upon reasons of conscience is deteriorating among the younger and more-media-saturated segments of our population.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 06-14-2016 at 01:25 PM..

Old 06-14-2016, 01:35 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,180,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
I'm not surprised CFA did this.
I'm not either.

I am surprised, however, by how many people are shocked that MSM doesn't talk about stories like this.

Controversy and divisiveness > continuity and accord for the media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies