Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 12:08 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,572,496 times

Advertisements

one of the surviving victims today in an interview has criticized them taking 3 hours. IMO, she has a point.

not trying to armchair quarterback, but 3 hours?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 12:21 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,916,239 times
What did police know in those first 3 hours? If the information they had at the time pointed to a hostage situation, i can't blame them.

I'm a nobody though; see what the experts and professionals say.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:23 PM

21,567 posts, read 10,688,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
one of the surviving victims today in an interview has criticized them taking 3 hours. IMO, she has a point.

not trying to armchair quarterback, but 3 hours?!
Yes, I think 3 hours is too long while people were inside the club dying of their wounds. How many of them bled to death waiting for help? I thought after Columbine they changed the way they handled these situations. Prior to Columbine, in a hostage situation they would try to negotiate them out of the building, but after Columbine the possibility of high casualties changed that tactic. In this case, I think they were afraid of a bomb because he told them on the phone he was wearing a bomb vest.

I'm not sure what the right thing to do would be in any given situation, but I do feel that people probably died unnecessarily due to the long wait.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/14/us...gaps.html?_r=0

Old 06-14-2016, 12:24 PM

21,567 posts, read 10,688,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
What did police know in those first 3 hours? If the information they had at the time pointed to a hostage situation, i can't blame them.

I'm a nobody though; see what the experts and professionals say.
It was even questioned by the New York Times. Read this link: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/14/us...gaps.html?_r=0

Old 06-14-2016, 12:24 PM

45,397 posts, read 26,667,114 times
Gonna have to change the saying to : when seconds count, the cops are hours away.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:25 PM

63,917 posts, read 46,963,614 times
I don't know because I was not there.

Here's CNN's timeline:

Timeline of Orlando nightclub shooting - CNN.com

There were 320 people inside the dark club when the shooting began, outside of the club.

An armed off duty officer working at the club was the first to engage. Within minutes there were hundreds of LE on site.

Had all LE stormed the front door at once, seems likely the death toll would have been higher.

Had all inside the dark club been armed, likely the death toll could have been higher.

This will be analyzed for eternity. I was not there and have no opinion.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:28 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,052,495 times
Easy to judge now, from a computer days after the event, but the fact that it was a known ISIS inspired attacker, I think it is okay to assume it isn't a typical hostage situation. I think it was a huge tactical error. Perhaps that is why the kill count is so high.

Also I find it disturbing that the hostages did not rush the attacker. Yeah I admit it is easy to say now, but I think it was obvious that this guys intent was to kill as many as possible, not a bank robber or something. When you change the mag on an AR15, especially under a stressful situation, there is plenty of time to rush. I fumble around when putting mags in at the range, this is when I am well rested, not scared, no worries, etc. Human beings don't have a fighting spirit anymore. We are told to coward and hide, all these mass shootings are usually just one or two people. A crowd can easily overwhelm them.

Domesticated sheep we r.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:44 PM

35,862 posts, read 21,277,480 times
1- conflicting reports from callers to 911- some said more than one, alcohol, no description what would have singled him out-- look at the pictures of the victims, the place was weird- a lot of little cubby holes hard to enter. and possible bomb-
there was a negotiator, but this guy had no plan- he was all over the place to some yelling to other saying please be quiet - its hard to determine what is the best course of action - when the caller said was with Isis- I thought they might have tear gassed the place- but he might have shot them all and had a mask? We do not know, and I am sure some died due to immediate care- Many survivors are talking now

Old 06-14-2016, 01:00 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,572,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
It was even questioned by the New York Times. Read this link: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/14/us...gaps.html?_r=0
with all due respect, the NYT is an ultra liberal viewpoint. The last thing they are known to be is fair and balanced.

Old 06-14-2016, 01:02 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,483,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I don't know because I was not there.

Here's CNN's timeline:

Timeline of Orlando nightclub shooting - CNN.com

There were 320 people inside the dark club when the shooting began, outside of the club.

An armed off duty officer working at the club was the first to engage. Within minutes there were hundreds of LE on site.

Had all LE stormed the front door at once, seems likely the death toll would have been higher.

Had all inside the dark club been armed, likely the death toll could have been higher.

This will be analyzed for eternity. I was not there and have no opinion.
Turn the ****ing lights on...DUH!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies