Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support two weeks of mandatory vacation for all full-time workers in the US?
Yes 112 52.83%
No 100 47.17%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 02:36 PM

18,477 posts, read 7,136,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Considering that the US has the least vacation time of any developed country in the world and the only country that doesnt guarantee workers at least some vacation time, do you support two weeks of mandatory vacation for all full-time workers in the US?

When America Came 'This Close' to Establishing a 30-Hour Workweek | Alternet

I have a hard time supporting "mandatory" anything.

(With the exception of "mandatory" life sentances for murderers etc )

Not real fond of the word "ban" either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 02:37 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,854,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
yeah, it is called slavery to the government, who steals from the people in the form of taxes.
Amen brother! Maybe if more than a quarter of people's earnings were not grabbed by the do nothing government, people could afford to take vacations regardless of payment by the employer.

Why should I and others have to work from January 1st to April 24th (in 2016) for the government before any of my earnings are my own?

And the OP whines about vacations? Maybe if we didn't have to work 4 months to feed the government, we would find time AND MONEY to afford a vacation.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

Years ago, after 8 years in Federal Civil Service, I had I think over 3 weeks of vacation and another 3 weeks for sick leave plus lots of holidays. You would think that civilian labor and benefits would be reflected in what our local, state and federal jobs had to offer. This is why politicians don't have a clue, as they don't live in the real world with the rest of us.
Not when tax dollars pay your salary. You should be paid the least possible amount and get the minimum with regard to benefits. We have to stop feeding the beast. More people would seek employment outside of the Leviathan of government if it was not a beneficial place to work!!

Old 06-20-2016, 02:48 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,355,533 times
Every first world country has taxes people... deal with it.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilletteflare View Post
What people who want to run rough shod over workers never understand that if you employees are not happy because of being over worked or treated unfair, no health care, vacations ect. then they will not do you a good job. If they steal from you you could be pushing them to do so.
What employees don't understand is that business was not created to give them a job and if they don't like where they are working they can get another job, they can get training or education to get a better job, or they can start their own business and employ ingrates who blame their criminal actions of corporate theft on their employers.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Anybody that voted No should not get any vacation days and only 2 sick days a year only days off would be holidays. Most other countries get like 6 weeks off a year the US is so behind.
Okay dictator. I'll stick with what my current employer VOLUNTARILY offered me when I accepted employment here.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:27 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,997,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
It's not about the motives or the shill of an author (I didn't care about that, and don't necessarily believe that the biggest reason is fear)...the fact remains that for whatever reason, 55% of Americans are not taking their vacation time.
And that's why its so important to make it mandatory, so workers dont have to fear the consequences of taking their vacation time which is so common today. Improving the bargaining power of the workers as unions have been decimated is absolutely the right way IMO.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:35 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,997,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
What employees don't understand is that business was not created to give them a job and if they don't like where they are working they can get another job, they can get training or education to get a better job, or they can start their own business and employ ingrates who blame their criminal actions of corporate theft on their employers.
So why dont you support Bangladeshi sweat shops in America? Or do you support that as well? Re-introduction of slavery?

Old 06-20-2016, 03:39 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,523,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Do you support two weeks of mandatory vacation for all full-time workers in the US?
No. That should be negotiated between the employee and employer without government interference.

[like salary, benefits, etc.]

Old 06-20-2016, 03:44 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,550,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
When did family values become a govt mandate? In fact the govt works overtime at destroying them with its welfare schemes.

How much vacation time do you give your employees?
The American people themselves have no family values but they expect their employers and big businesses to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies