Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should We Keep or End Affirmative Action?
We Should Keep Affirmative Action 14 12.61%
We Should End Affirmative Action 97 87.39%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 06:24 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,577,283 times

Advertisements

......keeping Asian kids out of top schools due to the need for diversity and equal result and equal representation of different races on campus?

If Affirmative Action is not used and race is NOT a factor at all, all top schools' population will end similiar like UCLA and UC Berkeley campuses where there are about 40% Asians (Mostly East Asians, some South Asians, and few South East Asians) and black in the lower single digit (around 3%).

Is that a good thing or bad thing?

http://opa.berkeley.edu/uc-berkeley-...nrollment-data
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 06:29 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
The ability to go to ANY college or university should be based on academic merit ONLY!

Old 06-23-2016, 06:38 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,840,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
The ability to go to ANY college or university should be based on academic merit ONLY!

Silly, the US is no longer a meritocracy. Rewarding hard work and scholastic excellence is evil in this modern America was live in. We no longer strive to be successful, we rely on our skin color, genitalia and gender fluidity to open doors for us.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Shouldn't there be diversity?

What about the argument that if 10% of Los Angeles' population are black, then UCLA's student population should be similar to its city and not at lower single digit?

Old 06-23-2016, 07:10 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Shouldn't there be diversity?

What about the argument that if 10% of Los Angeles' population are black, then UCLA's student population should be similar to its city and not at lower single digit?
That assumes that the same percent block of the population segments also has a desire to go to college.

We need to stop insisting that college is the right answer for everyone, and trying to force giant un-affordable loans on them because we are selling them on that idea.

Let them go to trade school, or start their own business, or do whatever they want. Lets stop assuming we know whats best for everyone else just because we think it was best for us.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
That assumes that the same percent block of the population segments also has a desire to go to college.

We need to stop insisting that college is the right answer for everyone, and trying to force giant un-affordable loans on them because we are selling them on that idea.

Let them go to trade school, or start their own business, or do whatever they want. Lets stop assuming we know whats best for everyone else just because we think it was best for us.
If Affirmative Action is totally abolished at private and public universities, there will be 40% Asians at Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, MIT, etc. and blacks will go from double digit percentage to like 2%. Are you okay with that?

Old 06-23-2016, 07:21 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Drop race from applications period.

Why aren't you breaking down so-called "blacks" in the same way you have done for Asians?

You mentioned East Asians, South Asians and South East Asians. Why don't you mention African, Afro-Caribbeans and Africa-Americans?

But you come with some "blacks." Color/race-obsessed people...SMH.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:29 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
If Affirmative Action is totally abolished at private and public universities, there will be 40% Asians at Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, MIT, etc. and blacks will go from double digit percentage to like 2%. Are you okay with that?
I'm OK with people doing what they want, not getting caught up in unnecessary student loan debt, and stopping the government from trying to "fix" everything because there are always unintended consequences.

Let the smartest people alive get smarter and succeed so they can make the world/country a better place in terms of innovation, philanthropy, politics, science, health, business...it will benefit EVERYONE in the long run regardless of age, race, religion, and sex.

There will always be a need to address extreme situations, like if we ended up with a school that had like 80% enrollment of just one group, or one group only having like 10% of their entire population being represented in institutes of higher education.

I hate to see anyone suffer or be discriminated against, so thats not the goal here, but it should be based on ability to perform well and history of proving so. If it comes down to not being able to afford it and you fall into the category of being viewed as capable of performing, then yes we should have a system in place to help those people, but if you just aren't even making the grade (literally) why do we want to force someone into that situation.

And actually besides money, I also think there should be help for kids that just don't even know how to apply for schools. I remember seeing a kid on CNN once...the details are foggy because it was a while ago, but he literally started applying to schools and got either confused or frustrated by the process because there were some legitimate issues with it, so he gave up. He had something like a 3.5 or 3.8 GPA in highschool and just basically never finished applying because the process was so screwed up, maybe it was the financial aid application process too, I cant remember all the details. But lets make sure its easy to do for those that are capable whether its money or understanding how/why they should.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:31 PM

1,816 posts, read 1,150,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Silly, the US is no longer a meritocracy. Rewarding hard work and scholastic excellence is evil in this modern America was live in. We no longer strive to be successful, we rely on our skin color, genitalia and gender fluidity to open doors for us.

What about Legacy types? Do you really think George Bush had the smarts and grades to get into Yale, on his academic merit, without help from Daddy and as a Legacy admittance? Legacy is another name for affirmative action for the rich and well connected. So where is the meritocracy in that?

Awaiting response.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:31 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
YES! It is not my job, nor is it the job of the Government, to force education on anybody, regardless of skin color. If 99.9% of blacks, asians, native americans, hispanics, etc. do not wish to go to college, it is THEIR problem, not mine. If they DO want to get an education, but do not qualify academically, then they can go to a Community College to get their skills updated so they CAN qualify! If they (ANY skin color) do not have the drive to better themselves, then I guess they can be grocery baggers or shovel operators or lawn mower drivers or whatever.
The key factor is individual responsibility. Everybody is responsible for their own lives. I don't even accept responsibility for my own children, now that the youngest are over 30. No way will I accept responsibility for somebody I don't even know!
It means nothing to me if Harvard etc. are 90% minorities or 1% minorities. It is up to THEM to get their people to college!

Legacy??
It is up to college educated minorities to ensure that their kids are eligible for a "legacy" position. I really don't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies