Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 12:49 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,506,487 times

Advertisements

Scattered throughout the last few decades of our fictional entertainment, we find technologically-advanced imagery of flying vehicles, inter-galactic spaceships, and the colonizing of distant planets.

What a joke!

We can't even fix the everyday problems we have here, such as violence, hunger, corruption, etc.

Humanity won't even outlive its overpopulation. At the rate we're going, we might not even see the turn of the century much less use technology to create an ideal life! In fact, its our technology that's contributing to part of the problem. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 12:53 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
I'll simply note that the completely unnecessary, bloody, wasteful Vietnam War didn't prevent us from reaching the moon in the same era, our sometimes ridiculous everyday problems have never really stopped technological progress.

Old 06-28-2016, 01:24 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
Some parts of Humanity will outlive its overpopulation by using space age technology to keep livable air, water and food available as decreasing population growth rates stabilize the population to the sustainable level. The societies that continue to have more children than the replacement level and do not have enough fertile land to feed the crowd will more than likely to collapse into plague, famine, war and depopulation.

A specific example is when the oil production countries run out of oil to trade for food the collapse will soon follow. The fundamental truth is the planet can only support so many people. I think we are already at or above that level.

Very likely the societies that have the technology for space exploration also have the technology to keep themselves fed, housed and armed well enough to survive the inevitable collapse of the world's human, and most everything else's, population.

Old 06-28-2016, 01:41 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,506,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Some parts of Humanity will outlive its overpopulation by using space age technology to keep livable air, water and food available as decreasing population growth rates stabilize the population to the sustainable level. The societies that continue to have more children than the replacement level and do not have enough fertile land to feed the crowd will more than likely to collapse into plague, famine, war and depopulation.

A specific example is when the oil production countries run out of oil to trade for food the collapse will soon follow. The fundamental truth is the planet can only support so many people. I think we are already at or above that level.

Very likely the societies that have the technology for space exploration also have the technology to keep themselves fed, housed and armed well enough to survive the inevitable collapse of the world's human, and most everything else's, population.
I think it's too far gone. Think of nature: we've already tampered with the balance with the extinction of various plants and animals. It's already a downhill slide. Sure, a people group can gather resources to survive for a while, but it won't be sustainable. The damage is done.

Old 06-28-2016, 01:42 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,741,434 times
When there is a profit or political driven need, humanity can do it. If nothing else, we are inventive, when necessity dictates.

Old 06-28-2016, 01:50 PM

13,694 posts, read 9,018,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
Scattered throughout the last few decades of our fictional entertainment, we find technologically-advanced imagery of flying vehicles, inter-galactic spaceships, and the colonizing of distant planets.

What a joke!

We can't even fix the everyday problems we have here, such as violence, hunger, corruption, etc.

Humanity won't even outlive its overpopulation. At the rate we're going, we might not even see the turn of the century much less use technology to create an ideal life! In fact, its our technology that's contributing to part of the problem. LOL
Well, as you said, it is 'fictional entertainment'.

I am not sure whether new technology is contributing to an exacerbation of the old problems you have mentioned. It certainly does mean that people, at the least, learn about bad news very, very quickly.

Some technology people view with suspicion anyway. Merely start a thread in which you cite with approval the new GMO foods being developed to help a hungry planet (including drought resistant corn, wheat, etc), and you will quickly be inundated with people screaming about how everyone is developing autism or cancer or the like due to GMO foods.

As an aside: when I first flew to London from DFW in 1980, I spent 9.5 hours in the air. I am travelling back to London this coming September; the flight time will again be 9.5 hours. In all those years, the time in the air has not been reduced one iota. The seats are smaller, which I guess the airlines consider a technological advance, but I, too, am suspicious of the claim.

Old 06-28-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Well, as you said, it is 'fictional entertainment'.

I am not sure whether new technology is contributing to an exacerbation of the old problems you have mentioned. It certainly does mean that people, at the least, learn about bad news very, very quickly.

Some technology people view with suspicion anyway. Merely start a thread in which you cite with approval the new GMO foods being developed to help a hungry planet (including drought resistant corn, wheat, etc), and you will quickly be inundated with people screaming about how everyone is developing autism or cancer or the like due to GMO foods.

As an aside: when I first flew to London from DFW in 1980, I spent 9.5 hours in the air. I am travelling back to London this coming September; the flight time will again be 9.5 hours. In all those years, the time in the air has not been reduced one iota. The seats are smaller, which I guess the airlines consider a technological advance, but I, too, am suspicious of the claim.
Fuel efficiency has gotten cheaper. Aircraft speed stays relatively constant for several factors. Domestically it's the sonic boom. Over open water, it's the fuel efficiency. The technology is there, but the cost factor they'd pass on to the consumer would decrease volume. It's kind of lose/lose for the consumer.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:00 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,953,267 times
Quote:
I think it's too far gone. Think of nature: we've already tampered with the balance with the extinction of various plants and animals. It's already a downhill slide. Sure, a people group can gather resources to survive for a while, but it won't be sustainable. The damage is done.
Things are always going extinct. Something else will evolve to fill the niche.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Things are always going extinct. Something else will evolve to fill the niche.
According to life after humans, it'll be the squid. Lol

Old 06-28-2016, 02:06 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:
better than 95% of ALL species EVER to live on this planet are gone, and the at majority of them long before man entered the picture. second, and is probably responsible for a few species going extinct, but man is also responsible for SAVING a number of species as well.

as to your OP, man is constantly pushing the limits of technology, and while right now the idea of colonizing distant planets and moons is out of our reach, the mathematics have already been solved for things like warp drive, as well as shielding technologies, among other things you see in science fiction programs. just because we cant do a thing right now, does not mean we cannot do that thing in the future. more than 100 years before the space launch to put a man on the moon, a science fiction write by the name of jules verne predicted what it would take to put a man on the moon. he got most of the technology right, including where to launch from and why. there were things he got wrong, like the propulsion system.

so before you proclaim that man cannot do a thing, look into the past and see what man has done even though many said it couldnt be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies