Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 08:44 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
That's not actually true. Welfare exists regardless of a sense of entitlement.
Why should it? Apart from the truly incapacitated, accepting one or more means-tested welfare program benefits is blaming others for your own failure. Such persons need to take responsibility for their own failures, suck it up, and support themselves and their children if they have them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 06:42 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Yes, they do, and it costs the taxpayers. And, yes, Trump will ruin the nation, at least our reputation. He's not fit to be President. Why? because he listens to nobody, and blames everybody.
You don't think his ego would want to make him a winner?

Are you convinced Hillary will do better than President Obama?

How can the country go 4-8 yrs of Democrat rule? Our country is being overload with immigration be it legal or illegal. Hillary wants a lot more than President Obama has brought in.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:29 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
...How about not blaming everybody else (a.k.a, not you) for your own failings in life?

It's not the immigrant's fault
It's not the African American's fault,
It's not white people's fault,
It's not the Conservative's fault,
It's not the Liberal's fault,
It's not Government,
It's not the Millennials fault,
It's not the Seniors fault,

it's you. YOU failed. So learn from it and suck it up.

(NOTE: Michiganmoon made a great point, I edited it to be more inclusive)

Carry on.

Lol, I hate to rain on your apparently recent epiphany, but responsibility for one's own actions is a concept at least some people have been trying to get whiners to accept for generations.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:49 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I don't blame liberals for any failings in my life. I just blame them for the money they have cost me personally. Like their college affirmative action programs that cost my kids thousands in scholarship money. No problem, I just worked more OT and side jobs and paid it. But it did **** me off at the time.
What does it mean to fail? What does it mean to succeed?

People pretend that to succeed, you need to make a lot of money. The more money you make, the more successful you are.

"As one digs deeper into the national character of the Americans, one sees that they have sought the value of everything in this world only in the answer to this single question: how much money will it bring in?" - Alexis De Tocqueville

But then, are the Amish failing, or succeeding? Were pre-contact Native-Americans failing? Why didn't they want to become "civilized"?

This view of life is not only wrong, but has led to most of the misery and disorder that we see in America.

"The great source of both the misery and disorders of human life, seems to arise from over-rating the difference between one permanent situation and another. Avarice over-rates the difference between poverty and riches: ambition, that between a private and a public station: vain-glory, that between obscurity and extensive reputation. The person under the influence of any of those extravagant passions, is not only miserable in his actual situation, but is often disposed to disturb the peace of society, in order to arrive at that which he so foolishly admires. The slightest observation, however, might satisfy him, that, in all the ordinary situations of human life, a well-disposed mind may be equally calm, equally cheerful, and equally contented. Some of those situations may, no doubt, deserve to be preferred to others: but none of them can deserve to be pursued with that passionate ardour which drives us to violate the rules either of prudence or of justice; or to corrupt the future tranquillity of our minds, either by shame from the remembrance of our own folly, or by remorse from the horror of our own injustice." - Adam Smith

And the only reason you feel this way, is because you are told to feel this way, by people who want you to make more money, to pay more taxes, or to buy more stuff.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 06-27-2016 at 08:13 PM..

Old 06-27-2016, 08:11 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why should it? Apart from the truly incapacitated, accepting one or more means-tested welfare program benefits is blaming others for your own failure. Such persons need to take responsibility for their own failures, suck it up, and support themselves and their children if they have them.
The real problem, is that the vast-majority of the population owns nothing. They have no capital, they have no property, and as a result, they can only live only by working for others, or by the benevolence of others.

"A man who is without capital, and who, by prohibitions upon banking, is practically forbidden to hire any, is in a condition elevated but one degree above that of a chattel slave. He may live; but he can live only as the servant of others; compelled to perform such labor, and to perform it at such prices, as they may see fit to dictate." - Lysander Spooner

To understand part of the problem, think of how everyone wants to win the lottery and "live off the interest". Those with capital, can use their capital to make more capital, without doing any work.

And while many advocates of capitalism will say that investing is "risky", and they should be rewarded for their risk-taking. Let them not forget, the current system of investing(IE speculation), is not the byproduct of natural forces. It is the byproduct of monetary manipulation, money-creation, artificially-low interest-rates, and other processes. The government artificially drives up the value of assets, forming market bubbles, to expand the availability of capital(fictitious capital) to its investors, who then use that capital to invest in other projects, around the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fictitious_capital

It is a "top-down" economic system of mass consumption and exploitation, which benefits a handful of elites, and disenfranchises and enslaves the rest of us, around the world.

Furthermore, this disparity of capital, only exacerbates income-inequality, and it is income-inequality which drives the misery and disorder of everyday life.

Being poor doesn't matter. What matters is being poor when others around you are rich. It is the corrupting influence of money, that gives some power over others, which is the real evil.

"Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition." - Thomas Jefferson

And the obsession with this evil, is destroying everything good about humanity. Morality, family, respect, compassion, love.

I blame all you people for what you have done to this world. Especially the Christians, who I thought were above that. This is a nation built upon usury and filth, and you partake in it, while pretending you are the righteous.

"No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon." - Book of Matthew 6:24

"Civilization is a limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessaries." - Mark Twain

Last edited by Redshadowz; 06-27-2016 at 08:20 PM..

Old 06-28-2016, 06:28 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
The real problem, is that the vast-majority of the population owns nothing. They have no capital, they have no property, and as a result, they can only live only by working for others, or by the benevolence of others.
I will submit that most people start out that way. My spouse and I started out that way. But we saved, invested, and worked our way out of, up, and beyond that. If we can do it, so can anyone else who isn't truly incapacitated.

Old 06-28-2016, 06:55 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
silly rabbit, trix are for kids

dont you realize that these days everyone has to blame someone else for their problems and set backs? no one is responsible for anything these days.
You got that right.

21st Century Theme Song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj3fZsp0ltk

Old 06-28-2016, 07:01 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
How is it my fault when one group, that I am not a member of, commits a disproportionate amount of crime? Is it that whole communist "it takes a village" concept again?

Old 06-28-2016, 07:19 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
How is it my fault when one group, that I am not a member of, commits a disproportionate amount of crime? Is it that whole communist "it takes a village" concept again?
If the electives couldn't get people on board with coming up the world is falling if we don't help these groups, people might think "personal responsibility." Even AA, has come up with the slogan being a "drunk is not your fault"........... someone else must be drinking all that beer for you.

It's like the new American concept nothing is your fault, "the village" will take care of you , but not really, most the time they just make the person worst off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies