Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 03:54 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,813,989 times

Advertisements

Gee, and the US is supposed to be their 'ally'...

'The protest were in response to the rape and murder of a 20-year-old Okinawa woman, Rina Shimabukuro, whose body was found in a forest a month after she disappeared.

Okinawa is a tropical island only 70 miles long and seven miles wide... numerous US military bases cover over 20 percent of Okinawa's total land area and 40 percent of its arable land.

the US built 39 bases in Okinawa, displacing many landowners. Plans to give lump-sum payments for land drew massive protest rallies, and eventually a rental plan was established. To this day, not one piece of land has been returned to any landowner.

Okinawa Is Still Being Exploited by the US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 04:01 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,051,073 times
Okinawa should have been an independent country. The US ruined it.
-----------

In 1879, Japan declared its intention to annex the Ryukyu Kingdom. China protested and asked former U.S. President Ulysses Grant, then on a diplomatic tour of Asia, to intercede. One option considered involved Japan annexing the islands from Amami Island north, China annexing the Miyako and Yaeyama islands, and the central islands remaining an independent Ryukyu Kingdom. When the negotiation eventually failed, Japan annexed the entire Ryukyu archipelago.[24] Thus, the Ryukyu han was abolished and replaced by Okinawa Prefecture by the Meiji government. The monarchy in Shuri was abolished and the deposed king Shō Tai (1843–1901) was forced to relocate to Tokyo. In compensation, he was made a marquis in the Meiji system of peerage

Old 07-03-2016, 05:36 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,357,140 times
I just watched the Anthony Bourdain episode on Okinawa last night...definitely no reason for the U.S. to be there (or anyone else for that matter). They've been way too friendly to foreigners taking over.

Old 07-03-2016, 05:47 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,732,353 times
That's what happens when you lose the war...That said flippin Jarheads rapeing the locals is a bad deal!!!

Old 07-03-2016, 05:50 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,134,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
That's what happens when you lose the war...That said flippin Jarheads rapeing the locals is a bad deal!!!
You mean placing 75% of all military bases on a colony of Japan whose people had nothing to do with the war?

Old 07-03-2016, 05:56 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Leave. Let Japan provide her own defense.

Old 07-03-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
You mean placing 75% of all military bases on a colony of Japan whose people had nothing to do with the war?
Shouldn't have let the Japanese fortify the whole island then ................

Old 07-03-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Leave. Let Japan provide her own defense.
I kinda of agree with you on this....
Okinawa sucks really I flew out of Kadena for years

Old 07-03-2016, 06:12 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
We're on Okinawa because the Japanese don't want us anywhere near the population of mainland Japan where our presence would NEVER have been tolerated this long. That's because the Japanese don't like us and think we're just wonderful so long as they don't have to see us.

Why I'm spending tax money to defend those people confounds me. It's high time to give Japan back their full sovereignty and go home. I don't wanna hear anymore b.s. excuses by Imperialist Americans about how Japan's constitution doesn't allow them to defend themselves.

Change the constitution then, and stop sucking off the American taxpayers.

Old 07-03-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
We're on Okinawa because the Japanese don't want us anywhere near the population of mainland Japan where our presence would NEVER have been tolerated this long. That's because the Japanese don't like us and think we're just wonderful so long as they don't have to see us.

Why I'm spending tax money to defend those people confounds me. It's high time to give Japan back their full sovereignty and go home. I don't wanna hear anymore b.s. excuses by Imperialist Americans about how Japan's constitution doesn't allow them to defend themselves.

Change the constitution then, and stop sucking off the American taxpayers.
Really Please allow me to help with your research....

US Military Bases in Japan | MilitaryBases.com - US Military Bases
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies