Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 02:53 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,512,015 times

Advertisements

Nope - not control at all - just good old plain common sense - as evidenced, here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Burka ban introduced in Switzerland for Muslim women - Business Insider

“Those who want to integrate are welcome, irrespective of their religion, but those who rebuff our values and aim to build a parallel society based on religious laws, and want to place it over our society, are not welcome,"

As the French say...

facial coverings "prevent the clear identification of a person, which is both a security risk, and a social hindrance within a society which relies on facial recognition and expression in communication.
Too many these days refuse to assimilate and are, in fact, setting up PARALLEL SOCIETIES. We can't allow it. It is only a matter of time before these societies clash. It is, in fact, now a matter of public safety, not control. Anyone who refuses to be a part of our society and put the good of our country first shouldn't be here at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 03:13 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,635,165 times
Quote:
what's your point? that we should somehow embrace ancient puritanical laws because the virgin Mary might have worn something similar to burqas over 2000 years ago?

you're really reaching.

It's all smoke and mirrors and has absolutely ZERO relevance to the discussion at hand.

Instead of taking a stand and saying, "I disagree because....." it's easier to throw out tidbits like this as though they mean something.

They never do.

Old 07-08-2016, 03:47 PM

15,867 posts, read 21,460,959 times
Quote:
This was your original post:

how is this law offensive towards Jews? If you read the article I posted in the OP, you will see that the ban is for head to toe face included burqas. Jews don't wear burqas - hence this is not offensive to them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burqa

I support freedom and freedom doesn't extend to covering your face in public for all the reason I mentioned in the OP.
I repeat, where did I mention Jewish women wearing a burqa? That was my question and you failed to answer it.

Friends and family cover their hair when they get married, and cover to their elbows and knees (and, in a few cases, wrists and ankles) due to their interpretation of Torah. I do not share that interpretation, but they are free to dress as they choose. Similarly, I do not see justification for the burqa in the Qu'ran, but they are free to dress as they choose. If we restrict a group of people to wear their religious garb, that's an affront to all who wear religious attire that may be asynchronous with modern life. Plenty of people have issue with head coverings of all type - including a tichel or kippah.

I do not agree with removing others' rights because of your discomfort. A burqa isn't hurting you any more than a trench coat or a backpack.

Old 07-08-2016, 03:52 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,558,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I repeat, where did I mention Jewish women wearing a burqa? That was my question and you failed to answer it.

Friends and family cover their hair when they get married, and cover to their elbows and knees (and, in a few cases, wrists and ankles) due to their interpretation of Torah. I do not share that interpretation, but they are free to dress as they choose. Similarly, I do not see justification for the burqa in the Qu'ran, but they are free to dress as they choose. If we restrict a group of people to wear their religious garb, that's an affront to all who wear religious attire that may be asynchronous with modern life. Plenty of people have issue with head coverings of all type - including a tichel or kippah.

I do not agree with removing others' rights because of your discomfort. A burqa isn't hurting you any more than a trench coat or a backpack.
missing the point. again.

Jews don't cover their faces in public. do you know what a burqa is?? that's the entire premise of this thread. Not a ban on headscarves, a ban on burqas. THIS is a burqa

Old 07-08-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
missing the point. again.

Jews don't cover their faces in public. do you know what a burqa is?? that's the entire premise of this thread. Not a ban on headscarves, a ban on burqas. THIS is a burqa
You are missing my point. I know what a burqa is. And?

Old 07-08-2016, 03:58 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,558,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
You are missing my point. I know what a burqa is. And?
And, how does a burqa ban offend Jews?

Old 07-08-2016, 03:58 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,576,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The " Virgin Mary" wore a hijab as did most women in the ME.

Sure she did, unless she was going to dinner with Santa Claus. Then she wore a Red Dress.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:02 PM

22,482 posts, read 12,022,969 times
Quote:
I'm not aware of any other group who dresses the same as the (alleged) women in the article.

in any case, that sort of dress worn by anyone has no place in a western society. IMO
^^^^I agree---that sort of dress has no place in a western society.

Where I live, there are a lot of Muslims. I often see a man wearing a T-shirt and shorts and walking behind him is his wife who is covered head-to-toe.

Anyway---Good for Switzerland

Old 07-08-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
And, how does a burqa ban offend Jews?
Because it is an erosion of religious freedom (and just freedom in general) that can easily extend to a tichel or kippah. For instance, women are barred from wearing any kind of headscarf in Bosnian judiciary buildings. While it disproportional impacts Muslim women, that would leave out observant, married Jewish women as well.

Furthermore, just because there isn't an equivalent in Judaism doesn't mean we can't stand up and show up.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:05 PM

22,482 posts, read 12,022,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Women in some ultra orthodox Jewish sects in Israel wear the burqa.

The burqa predates Islam.

The Quran is silent on burqa.

Where are these ultra-orthodox Jewish sects that dress like that located?

Hasidic Jews in this country don't dress like that. Both the men and the women dress very conservatively and the women don't cover their faces at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies