Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 09:18 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
The photo was circulated during the shooting but it turned out to be just a law abiding open carry black man....open carry does not apply to minorities:

Texas black gun owners say they face racism from police | The Star-Telegram

One of the great ironies here is many states originally banned open carry because Black Panthers walked around with them to "cop watch"

I guess your post underscores the confusion of open carry and figuring out the good guys from the bad guys. Remember, the actual shooter turned out to be a black man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 09:48 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Did any “good guys with guns” intervene to stop the shooting of police officers?
Right. Since there were civilian "good guys" with guns AND police officers with guns - how come neither one stopped this shooting. The civilians ran with everyone else while the police...

Old 07-10-2016, 09:50 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Mayor Nagin in N.O. was corrupt. Every mayor in Chicago was corrupt.

How are we supposed to tell a corrupt mayor from a decent one?

Old 07-10-2016, 10:41 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Not all police are in uniform. Should they not be allowed to carry for fear of confusion?

How about the President's secret service detail?

Old 07-10-2016, 10:47 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,919,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

What does that have to do with this thread??

By the same logic:

Some city-data users are idiots. Some are not.

How are we supposed to tell idiot users from those who are not.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:58 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

I do not think we should just go with your opinion for starters.........

Old 07-10-2016, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
What does that have to do with this thread??

By the same logic:

Some city-data users are idiots. Some are not.

How are we supposed to tell idiot users from those who are not.
You are supposed to answer the question. Can you answer it?

Old 07-10-2016, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I do not think we should just go with your opinion for starters.........
Nagin was corrupt. I suppose there have been Chicago mayor's that were able to avoid getting caught.

Old 07-11-2016, 04:17 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
The photo was circulated during the shooting but it turned out to be just a law abiding open carry black man....open carry does not apply to minorities:
If you are carrying a gun during an event where a shooting occurs you can expect the police are going to consider you a person of interest black, white or purple.

Was never a fan of this practice, if I have a gun I don't want to advertise that fact to someone that might want to steal it from me. If you are in crowd like that it would be very easy for someone to come up behind you, hit you over the head with something and take your gun. It's kind of like waving a wad a cash around, not very smart.

That's my opinion and I'm not going to tell someone they can't do it. There is some practical reasons for open carry, if I'm going to walk out to my car or over to my neighbors house with a rifle I shouldn't have to box it up.

This is certainly a dilemma for the police during an active shooter event whether it's open carry or concealed carry. If I'm getting shot at pull a gun out of waistband to protect myself and the cops arrive it's going to be very difficult for them to understand who is who.

Old 07-11-2016, 05:11 AM

57,281 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Why did these people need to bring rifles to a protest march, what were their plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies