Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 05:36 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
The mayor did good too but Bush's speech was what Obama's should have been. It was uplifting and comforting to the family members and he honored the dead officers. Bush's speech was the best of the day. Bet Laura wrote it. Love that lady.

I don't know what happened to that poor police chief. I saw people squirming wondering where he was going with his speech.
I really like the Dallas Police Chief, but he's had one helluva week. I thought the LONG lyrics to the Stevie Wonder song were a bit of overkill but I am more than willing to cut that fine man - who is not a politician - some slack, considering the emotional strain he's been under.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:38 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,606,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I don't know what happened to that poor police chief. I saw people squirming wondering where he was going with his speech.
I didn't see all of Chief Brown's speech, but from my time in Dallas, I did learn that many officers are not fond of him for varying reasons. If that could have anything to do with it, I don't know.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:38 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
I thought it was a well done speech. I'm not a minority either. But I've learned that people that want to hate President Obama will find any reason to hate him. It's not worth thinking about them, it's their insides that will rot with their hate and anger.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-13-2016 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 07-13-2016, 08:32 PM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Let me ask you this - since you're ignoring something very pertinent in my question - maybe I'll finally get an answer from someone.

Would you consider it appropriate for Obama to go to a memorial service for Sterling, with Sterling's family sitting on the front row, and for him to chastise inner city neighborhoods and the people who live there for their faults? Would you consider it appropriate for him to say, "It's a shame that with all the free books and free computers in public schools and libraries, that young men instead reach for a Glock?"
Sure it would be inappropriate, and why would he say that? He didn't say anything like that about the police or police departments.

He would be more likely to say something along the lines of this:

Quote:
Protestors, you know it. You know how dangerous some of the communities where these police officers serve are, and you pretend as if there’s no context. These things we know to be true. And if we cannot even talk about these things -- if we cannot talk honestly and openly not just in the comfort of our own circles, but with those who look different than us or bring a different perspective, then we will never break this dangerous cycle
That is, if we're going to put words in his mouth.

To answer your question, I would think if he does speak at any of the other funerals or memorials, that he will indeed mention the slain officers. But that's just my opinion, my crystal ball is in the shop.

As to your continuing harping on the free books and computers in school rhetoric, my kid's public school does not have a library, we just gave away all the books - because there isn't enough money for a librarian. And she's in a nice neighborhood Philly public school. We can only afford a nurse one day a week so you'd better break your arm on a Tuesday, and a counselor 2.5 days a week for 504 students.

The schools in the very poor inner city hoods are in really rough shape. Have you seen some of the schools in Detroit lately?

The libraries are full of homeless, unfortunately, in some neighborhoods you have to walk past several drug corners to get to the one that still exists, and that's if your Momma let's you out of the house, given all the gang violence. It's a long way to the nearest Barnes and Noble.

All the free books and computers, lol. I wish.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:39 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,956,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I thought it was a well done speech. I'm not a minority either. But I've learned that people that want to hate President Obama will find any reason to hate him. It's not worth thinking about them, it's their insides that will rot with their hate and anger.
Obama would be proud of the way you personally attacked and smeared people who think politics doesn't belong at a funeral.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Obama would be proud of the way you personally attacked and smeared people who think politics doesn't belong at a funeral.
Those same people would hate President Obama if he went out on a ledge and saved a person from jumping. That's the reality of it.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:45 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,606,737 times
Quote:
Those same people would hate President Obama if he went out on a ledge and saved a person from jumping. That's the reality of it.
It may just be a shameless joke, but I see it so often. If you actually believe things like this, you should consider some time away from discussing politics, because that type of thinking has left reality behind.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:46 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times
Quote:
Disagreeing with what he says or does in no way equals hating him. Get real.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Disagreeing with what he says or does in no way equals hating him. Get real.
Do I need to paste how many times posters in this thread have said they hate him? Or can't stand to look at him?

Old 07-13-2016, 08:48 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,956,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
It may just be a shameless joke, but I see it so often. If you actually believe things like this, you should consider some time away from discussing politics, because that type of thinking has left reality behind.
I'm guessing he's a teenager. Oh well, he'll learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies