Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 08:50 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,792,967 times

Advertisements

Corollary to OP's question:
When did conservatism take over mainstream talk radio? Limbaugh, Hannity, Bortz are all I hear in my office.

The real question is when did expressing one's opinion take over from presenting facts in the news?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 09:44 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,919,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
Corollary to OP's question:
When did conservatism take over mainstream talk radio? Limbaugh, Hannity, Bortz are all I hear in my office.

The real question is when did expressing one's opinion take over from presenting facts in the news?
There really wasn't much talk radio until Limbaugh. Talk radio and FOX news rose so far and fast exactly because non-leftists were locked out by the old media, and had been for decades.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:51 PM

1,147 posts, read 719,766 times
The U.S. media is conservative.

A lot more censorship of language and nudity in America than where I live. You Americans couldn't even handle half a second of Janet Jackson's boob without going into hysteria afterwards.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:53 PM

32,131 posts, read 15,116,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Interesting post. Even Cronkite was liberal and tried to spin the news in that direction (as we now know). But he HAD to do it subtly. Today, the old media does it BRAZENLY and that's the big difference.

Interesting you mention "Firing Line". I have been tussling with PBS staff and directors for many years.....on the state and national level. It's my own little pet crusade.....their hardcore bias upsets me, as a matter of principle. They almost always say, 'but what about Firing Line??" And then I am always forced to point out, "ummmm, that was FORTY years ago!!" (Pure tokenism).
Cronkite didn't try to spin anything. He was the news and told it like it was. He and my father in law were best friends.

Old 07-23-2016, 11:35 PM

244 posts, read 169,224 times
Its pretty bad right now and what's even more scary is that the younger generation his really really prone to propaganda and manipulation. Fox is a response from the left wing media not saying that its a good thing either because if you recall during the Bush years they were in the tank for him hard.

Remember Obamas 2008 run and the Rev Wright stuff .. just think if Trump had a similar situation now and how it would be covered.

Old 07-23-2016, 11:37 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,469,105 times
I think the media is about the same as it was; it's the right wing that has gotten more insane by the day and is now way out of step with most rational centrist views.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:10 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,919,405 times
Cronkite was biased. You've simply bought into a REALLY BIG lie (see the quote below). Probably your personal connection to Cronkite facilitated your blindness.....somewhat understandable. Cronkite was no good, and for those who care about things such as truth, they might consider just a tiny bit of the ample evidence which shows how much pretense is involved in our view of Cronkite:

https://www.commentarymagazine.com/c...-cbs-fox-news/
"So great is Cronkite’s hold on the imagination of many Americans, it’s not likely that Brinkley’s book will do much to tarnish his reputation."

Walter Cronkite - Conservapedia

The Terrible Truth About Walter Cronkite

Walter Cronkite - Discover the Networks

Old 07-25-2016, 10:18 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,594,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
Or was it always this way? As someone that is almost 40, I don't ever remember the mainstream news not being biased, but I've only been really paying attention for about the last 15 years.

What I've noticed is that it's getting worse. It seems crazy that if one was to watch the mainstream news or read the paper these days, that individual would be led to believe that one political idiology is good/correct, while the other one is bad/wrong. When you consider that this country is almost split 50/50 in regards to these political ideologies with a good chunk right in the middle like myself, it really is pretty mind blowing that one ideology has almost complete control over these entities.

What was it like during the 50's -90's?

How and when did this happen?

As millennials begin to come into power do you see it getting worse?

Also, I have no dog on this fight, as I'm an independent who is socially liberal and fiscally conservative. I will be voting for Trump this November, but it's only because I can't stand Hillary Clinton.
When a lot people stopped thinking.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:52 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,897,654 times
Quote:
Or was it always this way? As someone that is almost 40, I don't ever remember the mainstream news not being biased, but I've only been really paying attention for about the last 15 years.

What I've noticed is that it's getting worse. It seems crazy that if one was to watch the mainstream news or read the paper these days, that individual would be led to believe that one political idiology is good/correct, while the other one is bad/wrong. When you consider that this country is almost split 50/50 in regards to these political ideologies with a good chunk right in the middle like myself, it really is pretty mind blowing that one ideology has almost complete control over these entities.

Also, I have no dog on this fight, as I'm an independent who is socially liberal and fiscally conservative. I will be voting for Trump this November, but it's only because I can't stand Hillary Clinton.
The msm has always leaned to the left, whether we are talking news print, radio or TV. but it has continued to get worse as years have gone by. My husbands degree is in Journalism. He was bent on being a newspaper reporter. Many of his professors were liberal. We are talking back in the late 50s. It didn't take him long to forget about working for a newspaper and went into public relations.

Old 07-25-2016, 02:41 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,660,661 times
Quote:

What event bellow received the most mainstream media attention?

A.) GW Bush turning a balanced federal budget into huge deficits.

B.) The Bush White House saying 935 false statements about Iraq and then 1,000's of US soldiers and 100,000+ innocent Iraqis being killed in the Iraq war.
Study: Bush, aides made 935 false statements in run-up to war - CNN.com

C.) Halliburton CEO Dick Cheney giving Halliburton billions of dollars in no-bid US government contracts in Iraq.
FOCUS | Cheney's Halliburton Made $39.5 Billion on Iraq War

D.) Bill Clinton saying 1 false statement/lie about his personal life.

Answer: D. received more media attention than A, B, and C combined.

The corporate backed Fox news/Rush radio say the mainstream media has a liberal bias. But in reality the CEO's who run our mainstream media corporations love the tax cuts republicans give them.

Bush Tax Cuts After 2002: June 2002 CTJ Analysis
Romney's Economic Plan Includes $6.6 Trillion Tax Cut For The Rich And Corporations | ThinkProgress
Donald Trump's Tax Plan Would Cost $12 Trillion | CTJReports
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies