Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2016, 04:44 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,493,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
Hypothetically, what's to stop someone from looking up registered voters in their area, seeing they haven't voted in decades and heading to their poll? I imagine it would be super simple to organize a group of people to take several of these names at various polls and wreak havoc on local elections. Heck, even Presidential elections have been close in the past.

You could rent a couple vans, give each person a name at each poll station, head to each one all together as a group and hit ten or so locations a day. If your candidate's campaign has good funding, you could probably even pay a decent hourly wage.
If a goodly portion of the population can't be bothered to ever vote, why do you continue to believe there are a "substantial number" of people who would vote multiple times? Please define a decent hourly wage!

Old 08-01-2016, 04:45 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,007,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
If a goodly portion of the population can't be bothered to ever vote, why do you continue to believe there are a "substantial number" of people who would vote multiple times? Please define a decent hourly wage!
I guarantee I could spend a couple days on any college campus and come back with 20 or 30 apathetic teens willing to stick it to the man and rig an election. Especially if they made some beer money on the side. That's potentially 3,000 votes over ten days.

Heck, if Bernie were on the ballot, I would need neither apathy nor beer money to convince the average coed.

Last edited by vulfpeck; 08-01-2016 at 04:54 PM..

Old 08-01-2016, 05:32 PM

Quote:
I guarantee I could spend a couple days on any college campus and come back with 20 or 30 apathetic teens willing to stick it to the man and rig an election. Especially if they made some beer money on the side. That's potentially 3,000 votes over ten days.

Heck, if Bernie were on the ballot, I would need neither apathy nor beer money to convince the average coed.
Since you appear to be so knowledgable about rigging elections, how many times have you voted illegally?

Old 08-01-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Since you appear to be so knowledgable about rigging elections, how many times have you voted illegally?
I prefer to be referred to as an undocumented voter, thanks

Old 08-01-2016, 08:40 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
My thoughts entirely, Emissary. My college was a polling place & one of my workplaces was, too. Never once did I have an urge to dig up a name to fraudulently vote. I don't know a soul who has entertained that. Like so many things, where people insist that something unseemly or illegal is GOING to happen, I have to wonder how many times that person has done it themselves.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:52 PM

Don't worry your pretty little head about me. Voter fraud doesn't exist, remember?

Old 08-01-2016, 10:01 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,567,322 times
Quote:
Hypothetically, what's to stop someone from looking up registered voters in their area, seeing they haven't voted in decades and heading to their poll? I imagine it would be super simple to organize a group of people to take several of these names at various polls and wreak havoc on local elections.

You could rent a couple vans, give each person a name and address at each poll station, head to each one all together as a group and hit ten or so locations a day. With ten early voting days you could net upwards of 1,000 votes per van. Target just the tossup precincts and we're talking significant potential shenanigans. Heck, even Presidential elections have been close in the past. Given the right funding, you could probably even pay a decent hourly wage.
Yeah, yeah... fly 'em to a super-secret airport. Take what appear to be city buses into town. Maybe they're all wearing fake Groucho glasses and moustaches. Yup, that's the trick, we've got this election in the bag !!!! What could go wrong?

Old 08-02-2016, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Hypothetically, what's to stop someone from looking up registered voters in their area, seeing they haven't voted in decades and heading to their poll? I imagine it would be super simple to organize a group of people to take several of these names at various polls and wreak havoc on local elections.

You could rent a couple vans, give each person a name and address at each poll station, head to each one all together as a group and hit ten or so locations a day. With ten early voting days you could net upwards of 1,000 votes per van. Target just the tossup precincts and we're talking significant potential shenanigans. Heck, even Presidential elections have been close in the past. Given the right funding, you could probably even pay a decent hourly wage.
I'd be more worried about the Citizens United decision affecting elections, than the unlikely scenario you envision. You're doing the work for Art Pope and the Koch Brothers by worrying about non-existent voter fraud than elections being bought by people with big checkbooks!

Old 08-02-2016, 08:02 AM

20 posts, read 56,244 times
Is it a big deal to bring a ID? will it be so hard to bring one?

Old 08-02-2016, 08:33 AM

5,155 posts, read 3,762,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I have focused on those other aspects. I pointed that out in 2014, with those laws in effect, black turnout was up big time from 2010 , and it was twice as high as white turnout.

You say these laws are all voter suppressiion, yet black turnout increased in 2014. this fact completely undermines your assertion. i also pointed out there are stats bot blue and red all over the country that have these laws. Democrats complain about the early voting periord going from 17 to 10 days in NC and say it is racist, but NY and Hawaii and other stats have no early voting at all. 10 days plus election day is more than enough time for people to vote. early voting costs money and reducing the length of it by 7 days saves money.

These 3 judges talk about racism in NC's past history but what they don't mention is racism and Jim Crow laws were implemented by the Democrat party, and all 3 of them are Democrats. So they are incredibly trying to say that somehow the GOP is passing laws that racist because the Democrat party passed racist laws back in the day. they want to hang their own party's racist history around the GOP's neck.

if we used the logic in their ruling and applied it to every law, any law that has greater non compliance by black people vs white people is racist and the law must be overturned. so for example, if black people violate state and federal gun laws at a higher percentage than white people, that means we shouldn't have gun laws.
I don't get how hard it is to get ID. Prove who you are and you can vote. This is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies