Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2016, 05:41 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times

Advertisements

The GOP have already said that they were gonna take it to the US Supreme Court. Right now, they're wanting the ruling delayed until after the November elections.

Attorneys for McCrory, lawmakers want voter ID ruling delayed

Quote:
The motion says the delay is needed because the attorneys will soon appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court, and because changes to voting laws shouldn't be made this close to the November election.

Old 08-04-2016, 05:55 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,565,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I don't think most people would have as much of an issue with ID requirements if they weren't so selective about the types of IDs. Any government-issued ID (local, state, or federal) should be acceptable IMO.
But... but... but... how's that going to put a thumb on the scale ???

Old 08-04-2016, 07:57 PM

4,605 posts, read 6,427,227 times
The bigoted Teabagistan governor strikes again.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:48 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,007,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I don't think most people would have as much of an issue with ID requirements if they weren't so selective about the types of IDs. Any government-issued ID (local, state, or federal) should be acceptable IMO.
Forgive my ignorance, but what ID's aren't accepted besides college ID? Rejecting those doesn't surprise me since they are so varied and easy to fake.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:11 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but what ID's aren't accepted besides college ID? Rejecting those doesn't surprise me since they are so varied and easy to fake.
You can just as easily fake a driver's license or DMV ID.

The other forms not accepted are those associated with government benefits and employee IDs.

And it's very telling that absentee voting isn't subject to the same voter ID restrictions.

Old 08-04-2016, 11:02 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
From an excellent article that was cited here a few days ago. I hope everyone reads it.

"In North Carolina, the legislature requested racial data on the use of electoral mechanisms, then restricted all those disproportionately used by blacks, such as early voting, same-day registration and out-of-precinct voting. Absentee ballots, disproportionately used by white voters, were exempted from the voter ID requirement. The legislative record actually justified the elimination of one of the two days of Sunday voting because “counties with Sunday voting in 2014 were disproportionately black” and “disproportionately Democratic."

"The documents acceptable for proving voters’ identity in North Carolina were the ones disproportionately held by whites, such as driver’s licenses, U.S. passports, and veteran and military IDs, and the ones that were left out were the ones often held by poor minority voters, such as student IDs, government employee IDs and public assistance IDs. The Texas voter ID law was designed the same way: There, officials accepted concealed-weapon licenses but not student or state employee IDs."

Old 08-04-2016, 11:41 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Why not just automatically register everyone to vote? Problem solved. If everyone is on the voting rolls and gets a ballot mailed to them, then you could technically have a voter ID requirement ONLY if you want to go to the polling place instead of mailing in your ballot (with the trip to the polls and showing your ID cancelling out your mail-in ballot). You would have an ID because you'd be sent one along with your voter registration and ballot. Better yet, why not have people just mail in the ballot they receive OR bring it to a polling place and skip the requirement to go to the polls to get a ballot or to have to request an absentee ballot?

That way, people show up with a ballot in hand and their ballots being counted would take them off the voter rolls and prevent them voting more than one time. Also gives people more time to think about which candidates they want to choose. They can sit at home and read about them while marking their ballots, if they like.

Other countries have automatic registration for all citizens of legal voting age. The reality is that, like this ID law, not automatically registering people to vote will keep people from voting and that's pretty much what politicians want to do.

A smaller pool of voters is easier to manipulate.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:33 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
That wouldn't quite work because the mail in ballots would need better controls. Otherwise, groups would simply go door to door offering to "take care of them" or steal them or whatever. But, you could still have early voting just like now and reserve the mail ins for people who were infirm or were going to gone during the whole voting period.

And a lot of countries solve the double voting problem by just dipping their thumb in ink which takes a few days to wear off. Kind of like an I Voted sticker that you can't remove.

But,mif they are going to have an ID required, any official ID has to be included. I mean, a government employee ID is probably harder to fake than drivers licenses in many states.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:15 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,837 times
It's important that the bottom few percent of our society be permitted, even encouraged, to vote. The more degenerate, the better. As they say: Vote Democrat -- it beats working, even at a state government or university "job."

Old 08-05-2016, 08:25 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
That wouldn't quite work because the mail in ballots would need better controls. Otherwise, groups would simply go door to door offering to "take care of them" or steal them or whatever. But, you could still have early voting just like now and reserve the mail ins for people who were infirm or were going to gone during the whole voting period.

And a lot of countries solve the double voting problem by just dipping their thumb in ink which takes a few days to wear off. Kind of like an I Voted sticker that you can't remove.

But,mif they are going to have an ID required, any official ID has to be included. I mean, a government employee ID is probably harder to fake than drivers licenses in many states.
Ahh... good point. Then, let's have the government automatically register people to vote once they are 17 (to be valid by the time they are 18), and have people either vote via absentee ballot or at a polling place with inky thumbs.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies