Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 08:30 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times

Advertisements

Further, Hawking warns, "If we fail then the forces that contributed to Brexit, the envy and isolationism not just in the UK but around the world that spring from not sharing, of cultures driven by a narrow definition of wealth and a failure to divide it more fairly, both within nations and across national borders, will strengthen. If that were to happen, I would not be optimistic about the long-term outlook for our species."

Stephen Hawking warns about threats facing humanity in light of Brexit vote - AOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 08:42 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Further, Hawking warns, "If we fail then the forces that contributed to Brexit, the envy and isolationism not just in the UK but around the world that spring from not sharing, of cultures driven by a narrow definition of wealth and a failure to divide it more fairly, both within nations and across national borders, will strengthen. If that were to happen, I would not be optimistic about the long-term outlook for our species."

Stephen Hawking warns about threats facing humanity in light of Brexit vote - AOL
This just made my day better just by reading! Thanks & respect for posting it here Heidi!

Entire well worth reading opinion piece here:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...rces?CMP=fb_gu

Old 07-31-2016, 10:16 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
It doesn't surprise me that a man with the singular mind to rationally contemplate the very fabric of the universe would have such a hyperbolic view of the petty and microcosmically insignificant concerns of mankind.

He should focus on his strengths, physics and mathematics. Brexit is not the end of the human species.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:28 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,226,625 times
Coming from his perspective, I understand what he's saying. And I don't completely disagree. He values human progress as being of more importance than the prosperity of any given country. And there are things about that in which I do agree, and it's certainly a view that I'm sympathetic to.

But, cultural cohesion is pretty important to progress and unfortunately, this means the the idea of country's existing is highly important. I think one day, a world government will exist. I think it's too soon to try it now. And who knows, maybe there never will be one. In order for it to work, every single culture on Earth would need to have the capacity to comprehend the others. The fact is, the culture of Afghanistan is extremely different than the culture of the Nordic countries. In Norway, women are people. In Afghanistan, they are a place for a man to put his dick when he feels like it. Naturally, it's hard to create a world government that everyone can respect when some cultures think dressing up little boys as a girls then having sex with them while most cultures would think that's horrendously disgusting.

I also don't really think Brexit is a move towards isolationism. It's a move for nationalism. The UK isn't abandoning world politics, they just don't want the EU having the level of influence they have on their economy. Personally, I opposed Brexit. It's not that I disagree with the sentiment behind it, but if the UK was a vital to the EU as people were saying, then the UK could change the EU for the better, which is something that I think would have better long term results than Brexit. But I also don't think it's reasonable to see Brexit as some horrible disaster. It's a hiccup in the economy at best (or worst).

Old 07-31-2016, 10:28 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Utopian academic theory equivalent of Miss America being for world peace.

Really, an extremist prognostication based on an a distorted view of events and their eventual negative outcome to support a political agenda.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:41 AM

4,095 posts, read 2,566,254 times
In theory, he is right.

In actual practice, he is wrong.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:50 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Where greedy collectivist hawking sees "envy and isolation", I see self determination and freedom. Oh how awful.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:53 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,649 posts, read 16,138,284 times
Keep fantasizing upon the stars Stephen. Politics is not your home. Who's cutting his checks these days?

Old 07-31-2016, 10:54 AM

19,641 posts, read 12,231,401 times
No common sense.

Old 07-31-2016, 11:03 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,065,647 times
We all have competencies. Wise men stay within themselves. Hubris is evident in those who think genius in one particular area ordains them to make reasonable assumption, presumptions and prognostications in all others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies