Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 02:28 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,617,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Merit is subjective. What's merit?

No, everything SHOULD NOT be merit based as you define merit. Merit is whatever the hell the arbiter of said prize says it is.

That's life in the real world. I know you don't believe it, but you aren't the best qualified person for your job. Why shouldn't they fire you and hire someone who's even better?

I mean, gimme a break.
I am sure you could say the same thing with Olympic game then!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 02:28 PM

31,846 posts, read 17,685,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
A business should always hire the best people it can find.
And that description will vary from one hiring manager to the next.

I've been far happier with employees when I look at other factors than I have been when hiring the most qualified, yet many would have defined the best people as those who had more years of experience.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Because schools and companies look at various factors in admissions and hiring, not just scores or performance, whereas with teams you're looking solely at performance.

If companies hired only the best of - average people wouldn't have jobs.

You're acting coy here, as though you don't understand, and it's silly.
If only top players get to play, average people won't be able to go to any Olympic Games.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:

I've been far happier with employees when I look at other factors than I have been when hiring the most qualified, yet many would have defined the best people as those who had more years of experience.
Yes, it would be but as long as the hiring manager is not hiring based on skin color, gender, sexual orientation, or religious believe, I don't see any problem.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:32 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,299,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I am sure you could say the same thing with Olympic game then!
Really?

Then go find another American that runs faster than Tyson Gay.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:37 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,299,449 times
Quote:
Yes, it would be but as long as the hiring manager is not hiring based on skin color, gender, sexual orientation, or religious believe, I don't see any problem.
Even if they did hire on those basis, you wouldn't have a problem with it because you wouldn't know.

I wasn't the best qualified for my position, but I was better connected than the guy that was. And he was a LOT better qualified.

That's life.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
If only top players get to play, average people won't be able to go to any Olympic Games.
That's okay, it's a lesson we learn as children. Did you not get the memo or are you still whining about it?

Old 08-08-2016, 02:55 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,293,493 times
Quote:
Presumably work performance has a couple more dimensions (education, experience, accomplishments, interview results, new ideas brought to the table, quality of portfolio, etc.) than your results in the 40 meter dash. Yet hiring managers should always hire the BEST they can find, when weighing those dimensions.

If you're including "diversity" in your determinations you're introducing mitigating factors that may move you away from hiring the best you can find.

Also, "jobs" are more plentiful than spots on the US Olympic Team, so the idea that if you only hired the best you could find that most people wouldn't get jobs is misleading.

I liked John Carmack's answer here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzmbW4ueGdg

Old 08-08-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Presumably work performance has a couple more dimensions (education, experience, accomplishments, interview results, new ideas brought to the table, quality of portfolio, etc.) than your results in the 40 meter dash. Yet hiring managers should always hire the BEST they can find, when weighing those dimensions.

If you're including "diversity" in your determinations you're introducing mitigating factors that may move you away from hiring the best you can find.

Also, "jobs" are more plentiful than spots on the US Olympic Team, so the idea that if you only hired the best you could find that most people wouldn't get jobs is misleading.

I liked John Carmack's answer here:

Average people might not get the jobs they want if companies only hired what some might consider the best.

I don't intentionally hire for diversity. I'm in a large enough city where the best, as I define it, can come in any color or age, etc. My department has always included a large number of minorities.

I look at too many factors to mention. Time spent at jobs, growth within each job, correct grammar is extremely important to me - particularly for client-facing positions, energy levels, confidence, personality, etc.

Many would suggest the guy or gal who walks in with a 4.0 from an Ivy League school and the most years of experience is the best. Not necessarily.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Even if they did hire on those basis, you wouldn't have a problem with it because you wouldn't know.

I wasn't the best qualified for my position, but I was better connected than the guy that was. And he was a LOT better qualified.

That's life.
But hiring based on skin color is OK?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies