Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 10:00 PM

1,050 posts, read 508,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Exactly. I'd like to see a statist answer that question.
If you don't want to pay the $8 to see a movie, you can leave and pay nothing. If you don't want to pay $2.55/gallon for gasoline, you can leave the car home and ride a bicycle. If you don't want to pay income taxes you can refuse to work or refuse the income.

Income is historically low. It is the dues you pay for the right to live in society with all the roads, street lighting, police protection, fire protection, military at the ready, relatively safe food, and thousands of other benefits of organized, managed, civil society. If you don't want to pay your share of the meager costs, go to Alaska and live off the land. Otherwise you owe your share.

It's amazing to me that righties like to accuse anyone who calls for a return to reasonable taxes a parasite who wants his entitlements and wants a free ride. Yet the same righties object to paying their fair share of tax costs but want to live in society when the only way that can be done is to parasitize off others who do pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 10:14 PM

1,050 posts, read 508,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
What crap. ... You are the one who is supporting a mixture of state and religion. I am the one opposing the state interfere with the man's religion.
You have distorted and twisted it all into knot. I advocate that the state, which distributes business licenses and determines business regulations, should not allow religion to determine those regulations and you say that amounts to a "mixture of state and religion." OTOH, you are the one advocating that the state should accommodate some religious beliefs and thereby apply regulations unevenly with special consideration to beliefs of certain religions, and you say that is "opposing the state interfere with the man's religion."

Did someone drop you on your head?

Old 08-23-2016, 12:05 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,458,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Free to leave, really? That's something my ex-husband use to say to me, along with, but you will be leaving the kids behind with me, when you go. In essence one's restraints may take different forms. Another form may be that a person is to poor to travel, or they don't have the necessary credentials other countries require in order to move and set up residency. So the choice becomes, stay and endure or fight within the legal boundaries for a change ...
Majority Rule/Minority Rights: Essential Principles | Democracy Web
The Constant Threat
The American founders—Anti-Federalists and Federalists alike—considered rule by majority a troubling conundrum. In theory, majority rule was necessary for expressing the popular will and the basis for establishing the republic. The alternative—consensus or rule by everyone's agreement—cannot be imposed upon a free people. And minority rule is antithetical to democracy. But the founders worried that the majority could abuse its powers to oppress a minority just as easily as a king. Thomas Jefferson and James Madison both warn in their letters about the dangers of the tyranny of the legislature and of the executive. Madison, alluding to slavery, went further, writing, "It is of great importance in a republic, not only to guard the society against the oppression of its rulers, but to guard one part of the society against the injustice of the other part."
<snip>
Minority Rights I: Individual Rights vs. Majority Tyranny
Democracy therefore requires minority rights equally as it does majority rule. Indeed, as democracy is conceived today, the minority's rights must be protected no matter how singular or alienated that minority is from the majority society; otherwise, the majority's rights lose their meaning. In the United States, basic individual liberties are protected through the Bill of Rights, which were drafted by James Madison and adopted in the form of the first 10 amendments to the Constitution. These enumerate the rights that may not be violated by the government, safeguarding—in theory, at least—the rights of any minority against majority tyranny. Today, these rights are considered the essential element of any liberal democracy.

Understanding Change - A Paper by Scott London

"
The paradigm concept illustrates the extent to which social change can hinge on the state of mind of individuals. In Global Mind Change, Willis Harman observes that "throughout history, the really fundamental changes in societies have come about not from the dictates of governments and the results of battles but through vast numbers of people changing their minds — sometimes only a little bit.""
Basically, I agree. This, however, is a far cry from slavery. I'm not sure that I would equate my citizenship with a bad marriage, but I can see how some might.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:13 AM

952 posts, read 521,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
I've been hearing a constant refrain in these forums that goes like this "We've lost so many of our rights and freedoms" and "We've had our freedoms and rights taken from us."
This is usually followed by slogans like "Make America Great Again"

I'd appreciate someone telling me when America was Greater/better than now...please be specific as to how it was better and why.

I've started this thread to explore just what "rights" and "freedoms" people feel that we have lost or had taken away from us.

Terms-I guess a freedom can be a very subjective thing-so the field is wide open.

Rights-I'm using the definition a Right is something that is codified by law..and taken away by law.

My take..about the only Right that I can think of that has been taken is the right to freely move between Canada and Mexico without a passport.

Freedom of speech and freedom of information have been greatly increased by the internet..although like anything else, the internet requires a lot of discretion as to what to believe or not. It certainly gives a forum to people whose voices would never have been heard. So..a Freedom gained and a right enhanced.

In fact, as I think of it..we have many more Rights than in the past. Many see this as the problem...The right to have a legal and safe abortion...the right not to be discriminated against on the basis of gender orientation, to name a couple.
We gave up more freedom and rights under the Homeland Security Act than we may ever know. In the haste to protect ourselves and our country, we never thought the provisions could be used against us.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:51 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,952,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kode View Post
You have distorted and twisted it all into knot. I advocate that the state, which distributes business licenses and determines business regulations, should not allow religion to determine those regulations and you say that amounts to a "mixture of state and religion." OTOH, you are the one advocating that the state should accommodate some religious beliefs and thereby apply regulations unevenly with special consideration to beliefs of certain religions, and you say that is "opposing the state interfere with the man's religion."

Did someone drop you on your head?
Speaking about twisting. I believe a business owner should be able to refuse any customer for any reason. It could be a religious reason, it could be some other reason. You are the one believing the right to shop is more important than natural liberties i.e. private property rights and the right of association.

The exceptions to this general rule should be few. Emergency medical services is an example.

I believe the right to discriminate, with rare exceptions, should not be reduced when you hang up a shingle.

Government should never be allowed to discriminate. Gay marriage should be the law of the land. However, if an individual does not want to bake a cake used in a gay marriage celebration that should be an inalienable right.

Edited to add an insult to counter attack my opponent's childish insult: DID SOMEONE REMOVE YOUR BRAIN?

Last edited by whogo; 08-23-2016 at 03:07 AM..

Old 08-23-2016, 02:52 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,952,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livejack View Post
We gave up more freedom and rights under the Homeland Security Act than we may ever know. In the haste to protect ourselves and our country, we never thought the provisions could be used against us.
Ron Paul did.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:02 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,189,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Try not paying your taxes.

Slavery can be defined as taking the fruits of ones labor.

At what percent is taxation not slavery?

25% ?

50% ?

75% ?

90% ?
Do you drive on the highway? Were you educated in public school? Does clean water come out of your tap? Is there a military that protects your freedoms? An emergency room, ambulance, fire department, there to help if something goes horribly wrong? Do you know how the development of the Internet that you are posting on was paid for?

Those things are not free. They are all paid for with taxes.

You know where they don't pay taxes? Somalia.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:54 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,958,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
That sounded like jealousy & envy.
How bizarre.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:56 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,958,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
... It was you people who oppose free markets that originated Jim Crow.
How bizarre.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:38 AM

89,560 posts, read 45,216,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Taxation is voluntary...you can leave anytime.
"Free" to leave any time? Nope. Not at all. There's a HUGE exit tax when you leave if you have accumulated assets by being responsible and working your a$$ off...

Exposing the hidden tax costs of renouncing US citizenship - CNBC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies