Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2016, 06:52 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
I will take the side of whoever doesn't vandalize property. I won't support an American *just* because they're American and for no other reason. Our nationality alone does not make us superior to Brazilians, Iranians, Mexicans, Canadians, etc.
So you are fine with trashy Brazilians booing our track competitors? And stand up for country once in a while, too. We need to walk tall and kick butt to regain the respect (and fear) we used to enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 06:54 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
America needs to stand up for its citizens. We are mistreated around the world. I can assure you if these were Russian swimmers, Putin would have kicked some butt by now.
First of all, I seriously doubt that, because Putin is a grown man, and a very intelligent and reasonably sane one as well. He'd have the sense to know that this is between those brats and the country whose laws they broke, and stay the hell out of it. Second of all, nobody is "mistreating" those frat boys. They broke the law, and they're having to answer for that. Do you think Americans are immune from the law just because they're American?

Why do you think it's the job of a President to force countries to release Americans who violate the laws of those countries? Can you please explain that? And let me ask you one other thing - if those were Brazilian athletes accused of a crime here in the United States, and the government of Brazil tried to "kick American butt" and get them set free without having to face charges, what would be your reaction? Have you got the guts to give me a straight answer to that question? I seriously doubt you do - I'm sure you'll just change the subject again - but what the hell, I thought it was at least worth a try.

Let me ask you something else - do you think the American government should withdraw from every extradition treaty they have with every other country on Earth? You complain about how "mistreated" Americans are around the world - well, arrogant, entitled attitudes like yours are the reason for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
They paid for the damages, it would have ended there but now it is an international incident an Lochte is probably going to lose a few million in endorsements, why couldn't they just shut up and move on.
We should not be supporting stupid behavior by anyone.
I hope that include Brazilian thugs who pull guns and threaten our athletes. That would not be acceptable in our civilized nation and we should not tolerate it from third world nations either.

57,301 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
So you are fine with trashy Brazilians booing our track competitors? And stand up for country once in a while, too. We need to walk tall and kick butt to regain the respect (and fear) we used to enjoy.
Americans get a bad rap abroad, incidents like this don't help make our case.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:55 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
They paid for the damages, it would have ended there but now it is an international incident an Lochte is probably going to lose a few million in endorsements, why couldn't they just shut up and move on.
We should not be supporting stupid behavior by anyone.
Absolutely. His mouth created this whole mess.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:56 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Probably whipping in public. Lochte would watch his friends get whipped on TV.
Let's get real here. A caining in Singapore, but if those guys hadn't paid for that door, they would probably be dead. I'd rather be in Singapore than Brazil if I was being charged with anything. Imagine a Brazilian prison! It's the murder capital of the world. Brazil should be worried about their murder rate hurting tourism more than drunk guys breaking a door and lying about it.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Americans get a bad rap abroad, incidents like this don't help make our case.
I am watching the Olympics as we speak, but don't hear any boos.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
First of all, I seriously doubt that, because Putin is a grown man, and a very intelligent and reasonably sane one as well. He'd have the sense to know that this is between those brats and the country whose laws they broke, and stay the hell out of it. Second of all, nobody is "mistreating" those frat boys. They broke the law, and they're having to answer for that. Do you think Americans are immune from the law just because they're American?

Why do you think it's the job of a President to force countries to release Americans who violate the laws of those countries? Can you please explain that? And let me ask you one other thing - if those were Brazilian athletes accused of a crime here in the United States, and the government of Brazil tried to "kick American butt" and get them set free without having to face charges, what would be your reaction? Have you got the guts to give me a straight answer to that question? I seriously doubt you do - I'm sure you'll just change the subject again - but what the hell, I thought it was at least worth a try.

Let me ask you something else - do you think the American government should withdraw from every extradition treaty they have with every other country on Earth?
Extradition is for serious crime, not lying to the police which would be a misdemeanor here. We need to be very careful about turning our citizens over to publicity trials without the kind of due process they get in the US. We saw what happened in Italy and Italy is about 1000 percent more civilized than Brazil.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:59 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Lochte is home, but Brazil kidnapped 2 of our swimmers from the plane today while another is in hiding. Meanwhile, crickets from Obama. Why is he not threatening sanctions and perhaps worse against Brazil?
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Brazil didn't kidnap anyone. They did what any country would do when they wanted to question someone with respect to a criminal investigation - confiscate their passport until the issue is resolved.
rev is right on this. these athletes made false statements, and these need to be investigated, and if necessary prosecuted. just because they are american athletes does not mean they are immune to detention and prosecution.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Let's get real here. A caining in Singapore, but if those guys hadn't paid for that door, they would probably be dead. I'd rather be in Singapore than Brazil if I was being charged with anything. Imagine a Brazilian prison! It's the murder capital of the world. Brazil should be worried about their murder rate hurting tourism more than drunk guys breaking a door and lying about it.
They do worry about murders, but this thing was all over the international media and the claim was that even Olympic athletes are being robbed in Rio. It is not surprising they want to clear it up.

What if an Iranian female athlete went to the media during Olympics in US claiming she was gang raped by bunch of men wearing KKK gear. It would be all over the global media, and the US would want to clear it up if there was any suspicion she made up the whole story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies