Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2016, 07:03 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Oh really.

Here in the United States, you only have to wear cornrows and tats to be a thug regardless of whether you harm anyone or not.

Unless you can swim, of course.
Not true. You can do those things you mention and only be a thug wanna be. To be fair it is typically the actions of the individual that rat thug status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 07:10 AM

1,504 posts, read 850,649 times
Obama is not really big on white people. Look at the entertainers that he invites to the House...He is deeply dedicated to the support of everything black...

Old 08-20-2016, 07:39 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Wow, some folks are just way to easy. Your going to believe a bunch of Drunks that already lied, over and over, and now have new stories to try and save face. Good for you.

Doesn't matter what we believe. Its going to boil down to what his "Sponsors" believe, what the National Olympic Committee believes, and The National Swim Team believes. They will be the ones to determine if they paid enough, and how much they will pay. Lochtey has not paid anything, but I am sure it will cost him big time in the end. Have no sympathy for him at all.
I believe that *all* details are important when forming an opinion of a topic/event/situation ... not just the tidbits that support my own preferred narrative. As new details come in, they too should be considered. If that results in a change of opinion, that's just fine. Flexibility and an open mind to change is the sign of maturity and reason. Only a rigid simpleton gloms onto a breaking story, forms an opinion, and then steadfastly maintains that opinion no matter what new details emerge.

The fact that a Brazilian resident who stepped in to interpret during this event has now been identified and is backing up the swimmers story that they never entered the bathroom, that the only damage was to a sign, and that the guards pulled them out of the taxi with drawn guns are pretty important details. That along with the government's assertion that an extra fine should be paid now just because Feigen can afford it paints a picture of a corrupt government shaking down a couple of ugly misbehaved American athletes.

But by all means stick to your preferred narrative and create pages of smug finger-wagging generalizations against Americans. Because all 350 million of us are *just like* Ryan Lochte.

Old 08-20-2016, 08:32 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I believe that *all* details are important when forming an opinion of a topic/event/situation ... not just the tidbits that support my own preferred narrative. As new details come in, they too should be considered. If that results in a change of opinion, that's just fine. Flexibility and an open mind to change is the sign of maturity and reason. Only a rigid simpleton gloms onto a breaking story, forms an opinion, and then steadfastly maintains that opinion no matter what new details emerge.

The fact that a Brazilian resident who stepped in to interpret during this event has now been identified and is backing up the swimmers story that they never entered the bathroom, that the only damage was to a sign, and that the guards pulled them out of the taxi with drawn guns are pretty important details. That along with the government's assertion that an extra fine should be paid now just because Feigen can afford it paints a picture of a corrupt government shaking down a couple of ugly misbehaved American athletes.

But by all means stick to your preferred narrative and create pages of smug finger-wagging generalizations against Americans. Because all 350 million of us are *just like* Ryan Lochte.
I've read they also damaged the bathroom door and a soap dispenser, to say nothing of the bushes they p'd on. They could have been out of there paying $50.00 if Lochte and the others didn't lie. What you call a 'government shakedown,' I consider a fine for the vandalism, false statements, and intentionally allowing their 'misbehavior' to become an international kerfuffle.

Old 08-20-2016, 08:54 AM

So your assertion is that the witness, whose statements are in the articles I've posted, is lying? Did you even read the articles?

He said that they never entered the bathroom and that the sign that was on the exterior wall is the only thing that was damaged. He interpreted between the swimmers and the guards to agree on a $50 fine for the sign damage. What part of that are people not understanding? Every news crew that has visited the bathroom has reiterated that there is no damage in the bathroom. Why is this so difficult to absorb?!

FFS, people are so blinded by their outrage that they aren't even open to accepting new information from a third party Brazilian witness who has no reason to lie. Just ridiculous.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:00 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,442,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Wow, some folks are just way to easy. Your going to believe a bunch of Drunks that already lied, over and over, and now have new stories to try and save face. Good for you.

Doesn't matter what we believe. Its going to boil down to what his "Sponsors" believe, what the National Olympic Committee believes, and The National Swim Team believes. They will be the ones to determine if they paid enough, and how much they will pay. Lochtey has not paid anything, but I am sure it will cost him big time in the end. Have no sympathy for him at all.

Do the crime, pay the fine. It's Brazil and when in Brazil, you play by their rules. I can only imagine the posts in this forum if a bunch of athletes from Brazil behaved this way in the US.

I'm more angry at the black eye that these 'representatives of our nation' gave us.

FYI..what they did, had they did in the US, would have easily resulted in jail time..indecent exposure, vandalism and esp. making a false police report--are all crimes.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Do the crime, pay the fine. It's Brazil and when in Brazil, you play by their rules. I can only imagine the posts in this forum if a bunch of athletes from Brazil behaved this way.

I'm more angry at the black eye that these 'representatives of our nation' gave us.

FYI..what they did, had they did in the US, would have easily resulted in jail time..indecent exposure, vandalism and esp. making a false police report--are all crimes.
It's a $510 fine for public urination in Rio. That *is* their law. They paid $50 for the sign damage and $11,000 to the government. Now the government wants another $37,000.00 on top of it. At what point does the punishment exceed the crime to you people?

Old 08-20-2016, 09:12 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
So your assertion is that the witness, whose statements are in the articles I've posted, is lying? Did you even read the articles?

He said that they never entered the bathroom and that the sign that was on the exterior wall is the only thing that was damaged. He interpreted between the swimmers and the guards to agree on a $50 fine for the sign damage. What part of that are people not understanding? Every news crew that has visited the bathroom has reiterated that there is no damage in the bathroom. Why is this so difficult to absorb?!

FFS, people are so blinded by their outrage that they aren't even open to accepting new information from a third party Brazilian witness who has no reason to lie. Just ridiculous.
There is video of them exiting the bathroom. How did they exit if they never entered?

Old 08-20-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
There is video of them exiting the bathroom. How did they exit if they never entered?
Can you link that footage? Because what has been readily shown does not show them walking out of a bathroom. The swimmers stated that they never went inside which is why they peed on a wall instead, and the Brazilian civilian who interpreted at the scene made a statement that backed that up.

Bentz’s statement aligned with that of a witness, Fernando Deluz, a disc jockey who told the Globo television network that he became an impromptu translator. Deluz said the only discussions between the swimmers and the guards were about minor damage — the sign that was knocked off a wall.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usato...?client=safari

Look, I'm not defending their bad behavior here. They own that. But I do feel that facts are vital to determining the actual extent of any crimes they committed. And details continue to emerge that indicate that they peed on a wall, damaged a sign, and that Lochte refused to back down from his original story when first interviewed by the police. They don't appear to have ever walked into the bathroom at all, and several legitimate news sources have reported that the sign is the only damage that exists. A witness is backing that up. So why are these new details being so heavily downplayed? If there's footage of them in the bathroom, show it! Show the damage!

Last edited by ATX Wahine; 08-20-2016 at 09:34 AM..

Old 08-20-2016, 09:33 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Quote:

You read about your witness who corroborates your version of events, but there are other accounts of witnesses who contradict your version of events. This guy says there was some damage and they paid on the spot; also that they didn't have a gun pointed at them. This contradicts Locate's story.

Witness: American swimmers were 'terrified'

Gas station translator says Ryan Lochte, swimmers didn't have gun pointed at them

There are also accounts from some of the other swimmers contradicting Locate's story and saying that he was drunk and belligerent.

So really, which should you believe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies