Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 12:01 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
You are the one making a laughable false equivalency. If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand anyway.
What false equivalency? Are they both not rights? Arguably the framers of the Constitution gave more weight to the keeping of arms than to the right to vote since that wasn't included until nearly 100 years after adoption.

If you have to explain, then fine. Unfortunately you're such a sycophant that nothing you'd say would have any thought behind it.

Sorry I got you off script. I know it's tough to think for yourself.

Go have another beer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 12:13 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
What false equivalency? Are they both not rights? Arguably the framers of the Constitution gave more weight to the keeping of arms than to the right to vote since that wasn't included until nearly 100 years after adoption.

If you have to explain, then fine. Unfortunately you're such a sycophant that nothing you'd say would have any thought behind it.

Sorry I got you off script. I know it's tough to think for yourself.

Go have another beer.
I don't drink beer, but thanks for the thought.

Old 08-20-2016, 01:43 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
That's really catchy. And I suppose only Democrats steal from you too, right? Gee, how did I guess that?
Not just Democrats, but they are the worst offenders.

Old 08-20-2016, 01:46 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
I love how the assumption that ex-felons will vote overwhelmingly for democrats goes unchallenged by conservatives and leftists alike.

Old 08-20-2016, 02:56 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
I never understood what the point of stripping their voting rights was.

Once they've served their time, haven't they paid their debt back to society? Why continue to punish them for a crime after their sentence is complete?

All it does is exclude them from society, when the goal should be to incentivise integrating themselves back into law abiding society.

Old 08-21-2016, 01:25 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,445,058 times
There is, of course, the other direction..towards legally stigmatizing convicted felons for life. Just about everyone is in favor of registering sex offenders, no sympathy there, right?

But in Nevada, the state requires all people residing in the state to register if they've been convicted of a felony.

Can we have both...Ex-felons voting and registering?

Opinions??

Old 08-21-2016, 01:39 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,813,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
I am as law and order as they get and also a conservative as many here can atest to. I think that after parole has been completed successfully and restitution satisfied, a person who served time for a felony should be able to vote.

If the crime they were convicyed of is so bad then let the punishment be so long in prison that they'll never vote. An execution for certain crimes has the same effect.

I would never support expunging felony records because people need to be able to know if a person has done such a deed that it required locking them away or meeting that standard for punishment.

Voting though, does include someone in a society and if we say they can't vote, then all other rights are trivial. If we remove their participation in the most basic function of our society then we must also accept the risk that comes with it, a disregard for that society. That can get very ugly.

A person who was convicted if a felony in another country should never be allowed to become a citizen however and thus not be allowed to ever vote. The difference? Citizenship, not voting. Citizenship bestows far more rights than just voting and while I do support a US citizen being able to vote even if they served time fir a felony subject to the conditions I wrote above, that doesn't extend to all other rights such as firearm possession etc.

Simple, felony in another country means no opportunity to become a citizen in the USA, ever, no exceptions.

In the end, I would support a requirement of more than just completing parol and satisfying restitution in order to regain the right to vote. I'd support the requirement to complete an education at least equal to high school so that idiots who become criminals at least get past being an idiot before they vote and that the education they get is non partisan in delivery.
Pretty much agree with this. That said, ID should absolutely be required to vote. Best way to prevent voter fraud. I mean, you can't buy Sudafed without ID, for crying out loud! You should need ID to vote.

Old 08-21-2016, 02:05 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,729,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I love how the assumption that ex-felons will vote overwhelmingly for democrats goes unchallenged by conservatives and leftists alike.
It's the truth. 7 out of 10 felons register as Democrats. Dems have the felon and high school dropout votes all sewn up.

Old 08-21-2016, 02:17 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,028,764 times
Quote:
Republicans are working overtime to deny people their voting rights (Voter I.D. and other Jim Crow laws) and it seems to be the only way they can win future elections is by stealing them. This is definitely a step in the right direction towards combatting these injustices.
How is voter id denying anyone of their rights?

Old 08-21-2016, 02:23 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,335,819 times
One a felon .... always a felon.

And no felon should be permitted to soil the inside of a voting both ... ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies