Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you comfortable with constant government survalence
No, this is our government taking things a step too far 12 63.16%
Yes, I have nothing to hide and don't value my right to some form of privacy 7 36.84%
I don't know 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 09:47 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
Please profile me for being a brown immigrant if it helps in keeping others safe. Hurt feelings are better than permanently injured loved ones. We live in troubled times & that means everyone has to co-operate to make our country safe again. Most of us didnt create this mess but all of us are responsible for cleaning it up again & again. No one likes to be profiled, body searched or disclose personal info but thats the system we are using for now for detecting impending threats. I would rather see someone complain on tv about how they got discriminated at the airport than crying family members of dead relatives. Hurt feelings & insults can be forgotten over time but unexpectedly losing someone close scars you for life. I wish we had a better surveillance system that doesnt invade privacy but unfortunately we dont so deal with it for now.

Sure there are huge risks & concerns about stealing identity, misusing financial info, health issues but if you can think of a better solution, get involved in your govt public forums & make suggestions. You have the right to complain, but you should also brainstorm better solutions.
Wow, so quick to shoot off your talking point of allowing your nanny state government to do whatever they want that you totally didn't even read or get the point.

This is about MASS surveillance, not about racial profiling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 09:52 AM

59,082 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but I find this HIGHLY disturbing and unacceptable.

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2...-surveillance/
If you know about it, it isn't very "secret" is it?

Cessna's CANNOT fly so high that they CAN'T be seen.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:53 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
There is no expectation of privacy while one is in public. The police are learning this lesson also.

There may be other problems here (such as spying into people's back yards) and they should be addressed but if you are in the public realm there is no such thing as privacy.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:54 AM

59,082 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carla delia View Post
I don't care for being checked and I'm not doing anything incorrectly. I would suspect that culprits detest it.
Then I guess you are against any kind of police patrolling whether on foot or in cars.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:00 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,088,130 times
Ive been working on the MIS pilot program for the last year,,, it flies drones over the airspace identifying illegal marijuana grows... using proprietary software GPS coupled with GIS

Now instead of a very expensive and sometimes dangerous flyover (getting shot at or crashing in remote terrain) in a CAMP blackhawk now a small quiet electric aircraft makes a sweep... a human still has to review it but the next gen will have more autonomous notification abilities as the beta testing is vetted. It appears to be very successful as far as an identification tool.

If people think this hasn't been going on for years,,, it has...

We use drones for many public safety activities now... Fire.. SAR.. intelligence... people dont like it... and I am in some agreement with that... me.. I dont have anything to hide and I keep my life unsullied.. but its still squishy and I understand the push back because of the potential for abuse... in the age and rush of technology your cellphone has more capability for surveillance of your activities

There is no privacy in anything anymore... every parcel has a satellite flyover and is mapped.. heck look at google

The train left the station a long time ago...

In California v. Ciraolo (1986), the Supreme Court ruled that an individual’s private property is not protected by the Fourth Amendment as long as an aircraft is in navigable airspace; in this case, the altitude was 1,000 feet. “The Fourth Amendment simply does not require the police traveling in the public airways at this altitude to obtain a warrant in order to observe what is visible to the naked eye,” the Court said.

We are going through SB 1820 which would restrict LEO use of drones..it been to the governors desk twice and hasn't gone through in current form.. but it doesn't matter because we already exceed compliance

I expect a supreme court case as more and more states are popping up with challenges to the fourth but currently there inst good guidance on this

In our case when we workup a property we have sufficient intelligence to obtain a warrant if one is needed and we do... as is necessary... obtain them even if a drone is deployed. However... we can still fly anywhere and see anything.. and that can mean a ground investigation not solely based upon the aerial observation

The warrant process is simple.. can still be done telephonically and all the exclusions of the fourth ALSO apply...

Last edited by notmeofficer; 08-24-2016 at 10:18 AM..

Old 08-24-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There is no expectation of privacy while one is in public. The police are learning this lesson also.

There may be other problems here (such as spying into people's back yards) and they should be addressed but if you are in the public realm there is no such thing as privacy.
Yes, there is an expectation of privacy while in your own backyard.

I don't see how its suitable to have the government monitoring us 24/7 in the public using tools designed to track terrorists in a war.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
If you know about it, it isn't very "secret" is it?

Cessna's CANNOT fly so high that they CAN'T be seen.
I see dozens of private and commercial planes fly over daily, never once did I suspect they had NSA style highly intrusive cameras attached to them capable of spying on the entire US population.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:05 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,646 times
Not exactly 'breaking news'; the Baltimore Sun covered it over a year ago:

FBI admits providing air support to Baltimore Police during Freddie Gray unrest - Baltimore Sun

Old 08-24-2016, 10:07 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Yes, there is an expectation of privacy while in your own backyard.
I noted that.

Quote:
I don't see how its suitable to have the government monitoring us 24/7 in the public using tools designed to track terrorists in a war.
I would argue it a complete waste of funds and resources but it seems the taxpayers aren't paying for it. It's all kinda creepy BUT as far as being in public (public, not in your back yard) most likely perfectly legal.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:10 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
I don't understand people who support government surveillance via the "if you haven't done anything bad you wouldn't have anything to hide" argument.

Using the toilet to drop a deuce is perfectly legal. Most people prefer to close the door though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies