Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 04:33 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Iran is one of the most advanced nations in the ME, they are working towards advancing their nation democratically and peacefully. Any reactions on our part just give more credibility to the Ayatollah's, a healthy economy and a more open society will eventually defeat the relgious right wing fanatics. But in the meantime we need to avoid these really minor challenges by the Iranian Revolutionary Guard, they would absolutely love us to shoot up one of their boats.
Of the they would. Their disgruntled citizens will rally to the side of the mullahs if we attack the country. And why shouldn't they?

As much as the Iranians may hate their mullahtocracy, they hate outsiders interfering in their domestic affairs even more. This is what Americans can't get through their damn heads.

We aren't as beloved as some like to think we are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 04:47 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
So, because some Iranian boats got close to a US ship, you would attack Iran?
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Right. And you think it would end there of course.

When you're from a country that tries to station its troops all over the world, picking on a nation like Iran is a stupid thing....a really stupid thing.

Your country wants hegemony over its region, so of course the Iranians want hegemony over theirs. And just like you wouldn't expect Iranians to play games in this hemisphere, we shouldn't be playing games in their hemisphere.

Some of you apparently like playing the bully....living vicariously through our military. But just like it backfired in Vietnam and Iraq, it's gonna do the same thing in Iran.

SMH...it's like you guys are allergic to learning lessons.
i would attak the iranian navy as needed. i wouldnt invade iran though, its not necessary. the iranians are provoking the US, as long as that remains just sabre rattling, then you fire a few flares, perhaps a warning shot across the bow(yes a waste of ammunition). if they continue to provoke, the sink the idiots, there is a reason US warships declare and exclusion zone around themselves, especially the carriers. enter that exclusion zone at your own risk.

Old 08-25-2016, 04:53 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,589,364 times
Tehran warns US to stay out of Iranian waters in Gulf

Old 08-25-2016, 05:13 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Iran has over 70 million people, which is the most populous country in the area, twice as many as Iraq, and almost three times as many as Saudi Arabia. They are not going away any time soon.

As a side note; I will never understand this "replacement level birthrate" argument. This comes up with Germany, Russia, and Japan. I have no idea why people get all hyped up over a failing birthrate when a country has tens of millions of people, and in the case of Japan and Russia, over 100 million people.
Look at history: when there are too many people "for the resources"; that's when trouble can start. OTOH: when a country has too few young people; it starts having other problems like caring for its elderly, keeping out illegal aliens and so on. Most families with lots of kids can "afford" to lose 1 or 2 sons in wars; when there are only 1 or 2 kids, then parents become a hell of a lot more protective cause there ain't "spares".

Old 08-25-2016, 05:27 PM

45,579 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Just a reminder... Iranian born Jarrett is in Obama's ear.

Sounds like war games to me.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:29 PM

3,327 posts, read 1,961,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
They put their country too close to our navy !
LOL you right on there. +1

Old 08-25-2016, 06:16 PM

1,229 posts, read 859,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
iran is playing with the tigers tail, unfortunately right now the tiger is a paper one. if hillary gets into office, it will remain a paper one.
No it wont.

Hillary is ten times the hawk Trump is. Look for her and for her foreign policy/advisers to adopt a confrontational style with Putin and the Russians.

The last thing any citizen in the US should want is a woman with the mental disposition of Hillary. Think about the psychology behind it. She's going to immediately go out and try to prove she's as tough as any man.

All that's going to do is cost you, I, and the rest of the tax payers more money and more debt.

It's moronic!! We don't want or need a hawk! We need someone who can deescalate potential tension - not inflame it!!!

We need a deal maker....not a mad woman!

And believe me when I write this, as I have a tremendous amount of cash tied up in shale oil stocks. Nothing better could happen to me financially if the Straights of Hormuz were to close inadvertently to super tanker traffic...

Old 08-25-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Putin is just itching to give you Americans a lesson in what he considers Russia's new "sphere of influence". In ten years the new geopolitical powerhouse in the entire region will be Russia and Iran. It's only too obvious the West led by the USA has no desire to get involved in another fiasco like the invasion of Iraq. The strategic importance of the Middle East is far less important to US interests than it has been seen to be in the past. The shift in the focus of American foreign policy objectives to the Asia Pacific region is totally obvious and logical. The importance of that region is far more important to American interests now and will only get more critical in the future. Did it not strike anyone as strange that we didn't even hear a peep out of Washington as Russia began military operations in what heretofore was an American fief!
Uh; I don't think so. BOTH Iran and Russia are sick countries and; don't have the manpower to do jack to the US. Especially with both places having below replacement level birthrates. The ONLY trump card Putin has is nukes. Period. That's assuming Putin's nukes even work in 2016.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
You're confused man. In reality, Iran could be turned back into an honest, staunch ally. The Iranian people hate the ayatollahs, and the Pasdaran , with a passion. But, guess who's got all the guns? The Iranian people are seriously oppressed. They would love to see the ahatollahs and the Pasdaran get their clocks cleaned, and waxed. Because of those groups, holding the reins of power, the people starve and are forced to live under constant fear of being drug off in the middle of the night, for some weird religious offense or speaking against the will of Allah, or whatever, while the mullahs and the Pasdaran spend wild amounts of money on their personal comforts and developing WMDs. For the greater glory of Allah, of course.

But, you are correct in one thing. An invasion isn't the answer. The Iranian people need to toss the mullahs and the Pasdaran off. We could run interference for them, keeping ISIS and other foreign influence off their backs, but they need to take their country back themselves. And they would. With the right incentive, and the Pasdaran off their backs. Millions of Iranians would love to see the mullahs swinging from trees, alongside their Pasdaran henchmen. Alas though, they haven't the means.

Bush was an idiot for hitting Iraq, and not Iran. Thug though Saddam was, he kept the radical mullahs in line. Iran was , and still is, the problem child. We'd do more than poke that bear were it up to me. We'd skin it and cook it.
Agreed. You're right about Saddam; he was bad news but, Iran and Iraq were pretty much "equal" in power so that dude had his uses.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:30 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i would attak the iranian navy as needed. i wouldnt invade iran though, its not necessary. the iranians are provoking the US, as long as that remains just sabre rattling, then you fire a few flares, perhaps a warning shot across the bow(yes a waste of ammunition). if they continue to provoke, the sink the idiots, there is a reason US warships declare and exclusion zone around themselves, especially the carriers. enter that exclusion zone at your own risk.
You would attack their navy because they got too close to our ships? Would you then state Iran should have attacked out boats when they crossed into Iranian territory a few months ago?

It is a ridiculous notion, one thankfully no civilized nation follows, to attack an entire navy just because one boat got too close.

I fully understand attacking a boat if it gets too close to where it can be a threat, or attacking the navy if their navy fired upon us, but just escalating to a full attack on the Iranian navy is ridiculous.

Another thing, there are 100,000 Iran backed fighters in Iraq alone, and several thousand more in Syria. That would make the situation very interesting, and downright scary for our forces there, if the US decided to escalate the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies