Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 09:03 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You can't have it both ways.

If you want unequal distribution of taxes paid (in other words - tax the rich), then you are going to have unequal distribution of tax breaks.

If you want equal tax breaks, pay your equal share of taxes.

Pick one.

Note that the tax breaks I mentioned overwhelmingly go to parents and to (upper) middle class families - they don't go to childless adults and especially not to working class childless adults.

Beyond that, I'm not interested in soaking the rich.

I support a flat tax rate on discretionary income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 05:29 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I see plenty of opportunity, which requires the right skills, the right tools/resources, and/or the right cash or credit. For example, there's a lot more opportunity available to someone with a car and a smartphone than to someone without those things.
You seem to think that certain folks are born with skills, cars and smartphones. All of those things are acquired.

Old 08-28-2016, 06:07 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,120 times
Quote:
So she's getting fabulously wealthy off of poor people why work low wage jobs and cannot buy homes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Disgusting! You take an inspirational story and you turn it into an opportunity to attack African Americans..
Liberalism sells hopelessness and business is booming.

Old 08-28-2016, 06:55 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I am black... what are you talking about? I am not attacking black people. I did comment on a certain mindset that exists in many (not all) black people that she did not have when she came to the country.

With a free an open mindset, she was able to achieve what she did.
If you are black, then you have to have the exact same opinions and parrot the exact same perspectives as Shabazz does. It is apparently required.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
You seem to think that certain folks are born with skills, cars and smartphones. All of those things are acquired.

No, it's more like people with the right parents start out with seed capital, or the right tools, and having the right connection leads to job opportunities and valuable OJT training which in turn open other doors. Flipping burgers and delivering pizzas make for great work experience for those interested in management, and are fairly useless for everyone else.

At my workplace, the employees living with parents were the first to get smartphones, while the ones living on their own and paying market rents mostly still use dumb cell phones.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Liberalism sells hopelessness and business is booming.

Realists and pragmatists are better suited to acknowledge reality.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:30 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Please elaborate; I was disadvantaged (born to poor druggies and raised by drunks, with developmental and cognitive deficits) and I guess I missed these extensive and special benefits.
Did your parents not qualify for any of the welfare programs?

Old 08-28-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
due to unequal distribution of tax breaks - especially the massive child-driven, homeownership-driven, and middle-class-employment-driven tax breaks - income is probably not a very good measure of taxes paid.
It actually does quite clearly identify EXACTLY who the federal services and programs freeloaders are: the 77.5 million income-earning US households that pay no federal income tax whatsoever. 46 million of those income-earning households also pay no payroll tax, either, due to refundable tax credits offsetting the payroll taxes taken out of their paychecks.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
??? ??? is there a list of these benefits available? When was I expected to access these benefits?
You've been completely unaware of food stamps, Medicaid, welfare, section 8 housing, etc., until now? How can that be?

Old 08-28-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
No, it's more like people with the right parents start out with seed capital, or the right tools, and having the right connection leads to job opportunities and valuable OJT training which in turn open other doors.
Not always. That wasn't the case for me and my spouse. We worked our way through college (we both chose to pursue careers that paid well) and were so dirt poor when we got married that we lived in a run-down apartment in Chicago that heated up to only 59 degrees in winter the first few years of our marriage. If we sacrificed, endured hardships, and succeeded, why couldn't/can't you do the same?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies