Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 10:11 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Since when?

The medications for Add/ADHD can contribute to depression and suicide.

Regardless, the Epipen isn't a necessity, itnis optional treatment. Please, don't try to link a preventable incident with a mandatory need for something.

People with serious allergic reactions go on to live.long lives with using an Epipen.
Gosh SO much nonsense here.

Lets begin.

#1 They lobbied for schools have to keep these in stock, AND refresh it yearly. WE pay for that. The neat trick used? They gave them the first dose free [like a dealer] knowing that later they would have sales at every single location....and at $100 for one it wasnt unreasonable completely.....just only a bit. At $600 its completely insane.

#2 They then changed the pricing to insane levels KNOWING people have no choice, and AFTER they got the school sales on board.

#3 Epipens are NOT a optional treatment for some folks. It saves hundreds of lives a year. I suppose if you consider death a reasonable option rather then selling a $3.50 injector, and $0.50 in medicine for $600......well OK then, they are optional. Death is a option.

People with serious allergies get stung by a bee, and DIE without a epipen. This is price gouging via a heavily lobbied for medicine. This is the worst sort of behavior in a capitalistic society. It WILL damage capitalism.

Now for those going on about how companies have a duty to make money for their shareholders.....yes, and how EXACTLY do you think this ends? Why did the CEO sell 5 million bucks worth of stock? Because even she knows that this is going to end poorly. This was a quick cash in, and at the expense of human lives. Its shameful behavior. And a danger to capitalism because it causes people to lose faith in capitalism.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:34 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
I thought Mylan was the guy that follows Hillary around with the pen that keeps her alive.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:54 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Oh good grief, every medication has a warning about depression and suicide. That's only because pharma wants to cover their butts in case it happens. You can also have heart attacks, bleeding and everything else they can think of. You obviously have no idea how the epipen saves lives. My good friend has a severe peanut allergy. She has had to use the epipen to save her life.
Wasn't it you who said that people never ask doctors for meds not needed? That was you. Then when presented with an argument you quickly change the subject.

Good grief is right. No one needs an Epipen, people want it because they don't like the alternative, the reason doesn't matter.

Again, drug makers aren't hospitals. They aren't your doctor either. They just make stuff and sell it. If you want it, buy it.

So the Epipen saves lives, so do a lot of things. No one is stopping you from buying an Epipen.

Do you support Obamacare?

Old 08-27-2016, 11:03 PM

32,066 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Wasn't it you who said that people never ask doctors for meds not needed? That was you. Then when presented with an argument you quickly change the subject.

Good grief is right. No one needs an Epipen, people want it because they don't like the alternative, the reason doesn't matter.

Again, drug makers aren't hospitals. They aren't your doctor either. They just make stuff and sell it. If you want it, buy it.
When did I change the subject? And do you live in la la land about people not needing this. You obviously haven't seen he effects first hand. It's very scary

Old 08-28-2016, 12:21 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
When did I change the subject? And do you live in la la land about people not needing this. You obviously haven't seen he effects first hand. It's very scary
People need a lot of things. Need doesn't mean you get something at the price you want just because you want it.

I'd rather all the money that went into the development of the Epipen went into finding medical solutions for diseases that affect a greater percentage of the population.

The Epipen is optional. You want it, pay for it.

There are lots of horrible effects for lots of diseases and as you said yourself, you experienced a personal effect. That doesn't make it priority #1 for the entire world.

Are you saying the Epipen is the only solution or it the reality that it is the solution you prefer for certain situations? Isn't tue Epipen only for emergency use? Are those emergencies preventable in any possible way? Sure they are, you just rather not go there.

The increased prices of the Epipen is just another drug flavor of the day.

Do you support Obamacare? Why don't you answer the question? I can only surmise that you do support Obamacare and having no good explanation why, just want to pass.

Well, before they do anything about the price of the Epipen, lets do something about the price of healthcare for the most vulnerable in the USA, they need help far more than people demanding the Epipen prices get controlled. Yeah, that first.

Last edited by Mack Knife; 08-28-2016 at 12:37 PM..

Old 08-28-2016, 03:34 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,054,375 times
[quote=donsabi;45283176]Mylan makes several medications and has competitors. I suggest if you currently are buying meds made by Mylan you ask for the same med from a different pharmaceutical company.
Our politicians will put on a dog and pony show but I doubt that will do anything about the price gouging.
Almost all our Congressmen are millionaires. Who do you think they are really representing?[/QUOTE

Dr. gave be some diabetes Meds. Ins don't cover at all. So I'm not taking it. But Epi.no choice, Who else makes them? This for grandson 8. --

Old 08-28-2016, 11:01 PM

32,066 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
People need a lot of things. Need doesn't mean you get something at the price you want just because you want it.

I'd rather all the money that went into the development of the Epipen went into finding medical solutions for diseases that affect a greater percentage of the population.

The Epipen is optional. You want it, pay for it.

There are lots of horrible effects for lots of diseases and as you said yourself, you experienced a personal effect. That doesn't make it priority #1 for the entire world.

Are you saying the Epipen is the only solution or it the reality that it is the solution you prefer for certain situations? Isn't tue Epipen only for emergency use? Are those emergencies preventable in any possible way? Sure they are, you just rather not go there.

The increased prices of the Epipen is just another drug flavor of the day.

Do you support Obamacare? Why don't you answer the question? I can only surmise that you do support Obamacare and having no good explanation why, just want to pass.

Well, before they do anything about the price of the Epipen, lets do something about the price of healthcare for the most vulnerable in the USA, they need help far more than people demanding the Epipen prices get controlled. Yeah, that first.
The epipen was affordable until they increased it for no reason. Oh maybe it was due to the ceo getting an increase of her salary of millions of dollars. What does she make now....18 million or something. Someone has to pay for her salary. Oh yeah, it's us.
The ACA should have been a single payer system

Old 08-28-2016, 11:46 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Epipens sell for 2/$85 in France.

We crossed the border and found EpiPen prices are much lower in Canada - WXYZ.com

Old 08-29-2016, 01:45 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Gosh SO much nonsense here.

Lets begin.

#1 They lobbied for schools have to keep these in stock, AND refresh it yearly. WE pay for that. The neat trick used? They gave them the first dose free [like a dealer] knowing that later they would have sales at every single location....and at $100 for one it wasnt unreasonable completely.....just only a bit. At $600 its completely insane.

#2 They then changed the pricing to insane levels KNOWING people have no choice, and AFTER they got the school sales on board.

#3 Epipens are NOT a optional treatment for some folks. It saves hundreds of lives a year. I suppose if you consider death a reasonable option rather then selling a $3.50 injector, and $0.50 in medicine for $600......well OK then, they are optional. Death is a option.

People with serious allergies get stung by a bee, and DIE without a epipen. This is price gouging via a heavily lobbied for medicine. This is the worst sort of behavior in a capitalistic society. It WILL damage capitalism.

Now for those going on about how companies have a duty to make money for their shareholders.....yes, and how EXACTLY do you think this ends? Why did the CEO sell 5 million bucks worth of stock? Because even she knows that this is going to end poorly. This was a quick cash in, and at the expense of human lives. Its shameful behavior. And a danger to capitalism because it causes people to lose faith in capitalism.
#1 is a point I'm not sure many people who are up in arms, and those not, about this are aware of. Lobbyists were effective at getting certain lawmakers to require EpiPens (actual brand name) in schools in their states. As any parent who has to keep this product on hand (I don't, thank God) will tell you, they are only good for a year. You either have to use them during that year, that's not something you want, or toss them and purchase new. Same goes for the states that now require a certain number in each of their schools. They must purchase them every year. It's just AMAZING (sarcasm) that the price shot up after the successful lobbying by Mylan. Something else to which people should be paying attention. The major ad campaign by Mylan for Epipen, many of those ads played during the Olympics. Prime advertising time, costs a fortune. Girl who ate a brownie that contained peanut butter sound familiar?

Old 08-29-2016, 04:49 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
When I was an EMT back in the 1990's, those things were 2 for $60.

They should have been long off-patent. Is no one else making them? This is pure price gouging. Classic drug company move.

When I worked in dialysis, every time CMS would grant an increase in the reimbursement for the procedure, the drug company would raise the price of epogen ( necessary for dialysis patients ) by an equivalent amount. Every. Single. Time. And when their patent expired? Somehow, congress extended it another ten years.

Another thing. Have you all noticed how the prices of over the counter medications like pepto or benedryl or cough syrup have gone up over the last five years or so? That's because Medicare and Medicaid started allowing their patients to buy a certain amount of these items as long as a doctor prescribed them. So of course, they jacked up the prices.

It's ridiculous. I'm so tired of our for-profit healthcare system where all the money goes to the private insurers, the drug companies, and in some cases a few for-profit hospital chains. It's not the doctors and nurses getting rich, people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies