Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 09:54 PM

67 posts, read 63,805 times

Advertisements

Female Sailor Recognized for Bravery During Iranian Detention Incident | Military.com

Quote:
In the fallout from an embarrassing international incident in which two Navy riverine boats strayed into Iranian waters during a transit to Bahrain and were briefly captured, some half-dozen sailors have faced punishments, but one was recognized with a prestigious award for quick actions in the face of danger, Military.com has learned.

A Navy petty officer second class, the only female sailor among the 10 who were detained, received the Navy Commendation Medal on Aug. 3 in recognition of her efforts to summon help under the noses of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard members who captured the crews.

[MOD CUT/copyright violation]
I know I'll get some flack for saying this but this smacks of PC. Of course the lone woman gets the award, none of the other guys are deserving of course.

While obviously a stressful and scary situation it's not as if she was dodging bullets to get to the button to send the distress signal. Far more likely she was just the closest one to it.

Which brings up a few questions:

1. Shouldn't the other guys get commendations as well? This seems to reek of "She was the only woman so she deserves something".

2. While fortunately she and the others weren't beat or tortured it could have easily been the case had they been captured by others especially given the area. Had that been the case wouldn't feminists be up in arms and blaming men for allowing it to happen if they had been beaten tortured and she would of course been no doubt brutally raped, probably several times?

I am not saying I would ever want that to happen but undoubtedly a woman that is captured will end up facing worse punishment. And while of course everything should be done to protect them in such a scenario would people, especially feminists be willing to say it's horrible she was beaten/tortured/raped but that's just one of the horrible consequences?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 08-12-2016 at 07:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 10:23 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,408,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanastra View Post
Female Sailor Recognized for Bravery During Iranian Detention Incident | Military.com

I know I'll get some flack for saying this but this smacks of PC. Of course the lone woman gets the award, none of the other guys are deserving of course.

While obviously a stressful and scary situation it's not as if she was dodging bullets to get to the button to send the distress signal. Far more likely she was just the closest one to it.

Which brings up a few questions:

1. Shouldn't the other guys get commendations as well? This seems to reek of "She was the only woman so she deserves something".

2. While fortunately she and the others weren't beat or tortured it could have easily been the case had they been captured by others especially given the area. Had that been the case wouldn't feminists be up in arms and blaming men for allowing it to happen if they had been beaten tortured and she would of course been no doubt brutally raped, probably several times?

I am not saying I would ever want that to happen but undoubtedly a woman that is captured will end up facing worse punishment. And while of course everything should be done to protect them in such a scenario would people, especially feminists be willing to say it's horrible she was beaten/tortured/raped but that's just one of the horrible consequences?

The symbolic recognition we give males who have their bodies destroyed (or worse) fighting our wars really pisses off men-hating feminists.

For them, fruit salad is the solution.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:02 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,961,815 times
Probably going to also give her the Navy Cross for being the only sailor who didn't cry.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:10 PM

46,978 posts, read 26,041,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanastra View Post
Shouldn't the other guys get commendations as well? This seems to reek of "She was the only woman so she deserves something".
How many EPIRBs did they activate? None, you say? Then that's too bad. You don't get decorated for hypothetical acts of bravery.

Old 08-12-2016, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
How many EPIRBs did they activate? None, you say? Then that's too bad. You don't get decorated for hypothetical acts of bravery.

Actually, the medal has traditionally been more or less a gold watch for retiring senior NCOs.

Navy Commendation Medal Certificate

Old 08-12-2016, 05:11 AM

40,955 posts, read 49,242,733 times
A Medal for activating a Beacon ? is this difficult ?

Old 08-12-2016, 05:56 AM

45,247 posts, read 26,488,601 times
Wasn't she just doing what she was trained to do under such circumstances? Anyway they shouldn't have even been in those waters.
So many heroes now a days and so little time to honor them all. Think of all the pizza delivery drivers who risk life and limb to get you a pizza while it's still hot. Now that's a hero!

Old 08-12-2016, 06:12 AM

67 posts, read 63,805 times
So absurd, as usual women getting awarded for doing half the work as men would need to to get the same deal or in this case, award. Women have always had it much easier in the military for everything from PT standards to what is being rewarded. I very much doubt in any other time men would have been rewarded for anything like this.

And people wonder why so many men are against women in the military. Well, when you have to put in half as much effort or dare half as much risk as men only to be awarded for it is it any surprise?

I have had friends in the military who have told me as much. Most recently one friend is part of civil air patrol and women get an astounding 3 minute(!) advantage over men in the amount of time to than men! For a runner you should know 3 minutes is a LOT!

That being said, I do have respect for the women that were medics and killed running into fire to help, but this is just utter PC BS.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Wasn't she just doing what she was trained to do under such circumstances? So many heroes now a days and so little time to honor them all. Think of all the pizza delivery drivers who risk life and limb to get you a pizza while it's still hot. Now that's a hero!

The on the job death rate of pizza delivery drivers eclipses the number of LEOs who die on the job.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:33 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,298,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
A Medal for activating a Beacon ? is this difficult ?
Yeah, she pushed a button to "summon help". What help? Nobody came. They were captured and detained. In the pictures she looks as petrified as anyone. There was a time when bravery meant storming beaches under withering automatic weapons fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies