Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2016, 07:39 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Football player gets 15 years for campus rape of unconscious woman

Football player gets 15 years for campus rape of unconscious woman | New York Post

Brock Turner to leave jail after serving 3 months for sexual assault

Brock Turner to leave jail after 3 months for sex assault - CNN.com

Is it really so hard to understand why someone would turn their back on the countries justice system? Please, anyone, defend it.
The two cases are in no way comparable. The first was a full on gang rape that was videotaped, with no doubt of the defendant's guilt. In the latter case all witnesses saw was a man humping an unconscious woman while he was himself clothed. There was evidence that she was fingered before that, but whether it happened while she was unconscious or she was awake and it was consensual is unknown.

But to answer your question, no it is not hard to understand why someone would believe the justice system is out to get blacks when everyone from the POTUS on down says so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 08:28 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post

What's your point?
Quote:
I'd never heard anything about Rapinoe doing that prior to this thread. I support her right to do it, just like I support Kaep's right to do it.

You think no one would call Rapinoe a wh*re or a c*nt or a b*tch over what she did? Think again. When people are lashing out they use the language they think will be most hurtful. It doesn't make this about race, just because some rednecks and racists online dropped the N-bomb at Kaep.

Google Colin Kaepernick - about 24M results.

Google Megan Rapinoe - about 2.3M results, or TEN TIMES fewer results than Kaep. Tell me again how this is all about race because the two being compared have equal celebrity.
Don't think you understand the "point" you are trying to make.

Quote:
Jeremy Lane, yes THAT Jeremy Lane , kneeled during the anthem last week, too, and has stated that he will continue to do so. He's black - why no blacklash there? #1. He wasn't the first to do it (just like Rapinoe). #2. He's much less famous than Kaep (also just like Rapinoe).

Case closed.
The people who are ******** and whining about Kaep don't actually give a rip about the National Anthem, showing their selective outrage and hypocrisy, especially when they claim everything is too PC. If they cared so much about the National Anthem like they claim, it wouldn't matter if it was Cam Newton or the 2nd string goalie on a women's soccer team, they would be equally upset.

It's faux, selective outrage. Sorry that was difficult for you to understand. FYI, Jeremy Lane wasn't adopted by a white family and isn't also being accused of being an Islam convert, who brought up police brutality and oppression.

FYI again, the "you" is always general.

Yeah, case closed.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:04 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The two cases are in no way comparable.
Of course they are.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:50 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Don't think you understand the "point" you are trying to make.

I completely understand the point I'm trying to make, and so do you if you have a greater than 5th grade level of reading comprehension.

Kaep got more attention because he's a bigger star, playing a HUGELY more popular sport, and was the first to be seen doing it. Period. Are racists going to use this is another reason to hate him? Sure, but they already hated him, so that's a zero sum.

Rapinoe is much less well known (just like Lane) playing a MUCH less popular sport, and WAS NOT the first to do it. All of those things have WAY more to do with the different reactions than the color of either person's skin. I cannot possibly make this any clearer.

Quote:
The people who are ******** and whining about Kaep don't actually give a rip about the National Anthem...

Agreed.

Quote:
...showing their selective outrage and hypocrisy, especially when they claim everything is too PC. If they cared so much about the National Anthem like they claim, it wouldn't matter if it was Cam Newton or the 2nd string goalie on a women's soccer team, they would be equally upset.

Yes, exactly. Most of them don't really care about the anthem, which isn't the crux of Kaep's protest, regardless. What they do care about is a famous person from a sport they love doing something they don't like.

Quote:
It's faux, selective outrage.

Of course it is, I've never said it wasn't.

Quote:
Sorry that was difficult for you to understand.

It wasn't. I didn't take issue with that - I took issue with you claiming that Rapinoe got off lighter because she's white and Kaep's black.

Quote:
FYI, Jeremy Lane wasn't adopted by a white family and isn't also being accused of being an Islam convert, who brought up police brutality and oppression.

How on Earth does white family vs. non-white family support your argument? If anything, if this was truly racially motivated, the kid from the black family should be getting it worse.

The Islam thing is just another hurtful thing to say about someone doing something that they don't like, bolstered (they think) by the fact that his fiancé is of Egyptian descent. It's a complete red herring.

Quote:
Yeah, case closed.
Indeed.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I completely understand the point I'm trying to make, and so do you if you have a greater than 5th grade level of reading comprehension.

Kaep got more attention because he's a bigger star, playing a HUGELY more popular sport, and was the first to be seen doing it. Period. Are racists going to use this is another reason to hate him? Sure, but they already hated him, so that's a zero sum.

Rapinoe is much less well known (just like Lane) playing a MUCH less popular sport, and WAS NOT the first to do it. All of those things have WAY more to do with the different reactions than the color of either person's skin. I cannot possibly make this any clearer.

I'm not arguing his popularity vs hers. She was on the team that won the World Cup for the United States of America. She represented America versus the world and she protests during the Anthem. Gabby Douglas, who was also representing America in Rio, didn't put her hand over her heart during the Anthem, and was destroyed for it to the point she had an emotional breakdown.

Now that the Olympics is over, neither Gabby or Megan would be picked out of a lineup by the majority of Americans. One intentionally protested the Anthem and one did not. Which one got destroyed and which one is the one no one cares about?

Either way, for those who are upset at Kaep and don't care about Rapinoe's protest or the white guys on the track and field team that didn't "correctly" stand at attention during the Anthem in Rio, or Phelps laughing during the Anthem, are nothing more than whiny hypocrites. If it was truly about the Anthem, which it is not, then it popularity would be irrelevant.

That was the most recent point I was making.

Race/religion became an issue when people destroyed Kaep for doing what he did, which effectively proved why and justified what he did in the first place. It's a shame those people are too stupid to understand why they can't understand.

Quote:
Yes, exactly. Most of them don't really care about the anthem, which isn't the crux of Kaep's protest, regardless. What they do care about is a famous person from a sport they love doing something they don't like.
Once again, this is part of the discussion as to why Kaep did what he did. It's perfectly okay to not like Kaep or to disagree with what he did. However, it's pathetic that people are using veterans to spew their hate, which is really just ignorant. It's also pathetic to see how intolerant they truly are of those who look different and have different beliefs than they do. It's okay to exercise your freedoms, as long as I agree with them.

Instead of objectively looking at the reason for the protest (the same people who are always telling blacks to protest peacefully), they spew hate, burn his jersey, boycott the 49ers and NFL, tell him to leave their country, all for saying there are problems in America that need to be addressed. Meanwhile, how many of them are voting for a candidate whose entire campaign is based around the fact that there are problems in American that need to be addressed to make it "great" again?

Quote:
It wasn't. I didn't take issue with that - I took issue with you claiming that Rapinoe got off lighter because she's white and Kaep's black.
If some WNBA player who no one had ever heard of would've done this instead of Rapinoe, you don't think, despite not being well-known, she wouldn't get bombarded with racial slurs?

Are you familiar with the West Virginia Tech volleyball team? They'll probably go viral, soon and then you'll understand why. And I did a quick search for comments about what they did, and some of the stuff I can't repeat.

Quote:
How on Earth does white family vs. non-white family support your argument? If anything, if this was truly racially motivated, the kid from the black family should be getting it worse.
Because people are asserting that he has nothing to complain about when it comes to oppression, because he grew up with a white family and he's now wealthy. They are effectively admitting that there is some sort of privilege or advantage by being raised by a white family as opposed to a black one.

These detractors complain that "black leaders" who are wealthy don't do enough for or bring enough awareness to "their community", until they do...then the detractors complain about that.

Quote:
The Islam thing is just another hurtful thing to say about someone doing something that they don't like, bolstered (they think) by the fact that his fiancé is of Egyptian descent. It's a complete red herring.
We'll agree to disagree there.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:52 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizualizax90 View Post
First whites said that blacks should protest peacefully and not riot.

You now have a guy protesting peacefully and y'all still mad and calling him all types of n-words and hoping he breaks his neck this season.

Which one is it y'all want us to do lol
What many of them want is for Black people to shut up and hide.

Old 09-08-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
For some it is. I swear, pulling the victim card gets old fast.
You're right. And I am so tried of so many right-wing posters pretending they're the victim every times some story hits the news.

Old 09-08-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
He not only disrespected our National Anthem he has turned his back on his Lord and Savior by converting to a false religion ...
Another right-wing post demonstrating a total lack of the concept of freedom of religion.

Old 09-08-2016, 02:38 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
I'm not arguing his popularity vs hers. She was on the team that won the World Cup for the United States of America. She represented America versus the world and she protests during the Anthem. Gabby Douglas, who was also representing America in Rio, didn't put her hand over her heart during the Anthem, and was destroyed for it to the point she had an emotional breakdown.

Now that the Olympics is over, neither Gabby or Megan would be picked out of a lineup by the majority of Americans. One intentionally protested the Anthem and one did not. Which one got destroyed and which one is the one no one cares about?

Either way, for those who are upset at Kaep and don't care about Rapinoe's protest or the white guys on the track and field team that didn't "correctly" stand at attention during the Anthem in Rio, or Phelps laughing during the Anthem, are nothing more than whiny hypocrites. If it was truly about the Anthem, which it is not, then it popularity would be irrelevant.

That was the most recent point I was making.

Race/religion became an issue when people destroyed Kaep for doing what he did, which effectively proved why and justified what he did in the first place. It's a shame those people are too stupid to understand why they can't understand.

Once again, this is part of the discussion as to why Kaep did what he did. It's perfectly okay to not like Kaep or to disagree with what he did. However, it's pathetic that people are using veterans to spew their hate, which is really just ignorant. It's also pathetic to see how intolerant they truly are of those who look different and have different beliefs than they do. It's okay to exercise your freedoms, as long as I agree with them.

Instead of objectively looking at the reason for the protest (the same people who are always telling blacks to protest peacefully), they spew hate, burn his jersey, boycott the 49ers and NFL, tell him to leave their country, all for saying there are problems in America that need to be addressed. Meanwhile, how many of them are voting for a candidate whose entire campaign is based around the fact that there are problems in American that need to be addressed to make it "great" again?

If some WNBA player who no one had ever heard of would've done this instead of Rapinoe, you don't think, despite not being well-known, she wouldn't get bombarded with racial slurs?

Are you familiar with the West Virginia Tech volleyball team? They'll probably go viral, soon and then you'll understand why. And I did a quick search for comments about what they did, and some of the stuff I can't repeat.

Because people are asserting that he has nothing to complain about when it comes to oppression, because he grew up with a white family and he's now wealthy. They are effectively admitting that there is some sort of privilege or advantage by being raised by a white family as opposed to a black one.

These detractors complain that "black leaders" who are wealthy don't do enough for or bring enough awareness to "their community", until they do...then the detractors complain about that.

We'll agree to disagree there.

I've said my piece on the root cause of the uproar:

Quote:
...Kaep got more attention because he's a bigger star, playing a HUGELY more popular sport, and was the first to be seen doing it. Period. Are racists going to use this is another reason to hate him? Sure, but they already hated him, so that's a zero sum....

We'll agree to disagree.

If you want to read people saying awful personal insults about Rapinoe - look no further than a thread right here in this very forum:

Megan Rapinoe plan nixed as Washington Spirit move National Anthem up

Last edited by hooligan; 09-08-2016 at 03:06 PM..

Old 09-08-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I've said my piece on the root cause of the uproar:

We'll agree to disagree.

If you want to read people saying awful personal insults about Rapinoe - look no further than a thread right here in this very forum:

Megan Rapinoe plan nixed as Washington Spirit move National Anthem up
11 posts. How many does this thread have?

We'll agree to disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies