Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 08:20 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,372,412 times

Advertisements

Was in NYC recently and always amazed at the number of people who think it's OK to smile and take selfies in front of something like the 9/11 memorial. I've seen similar things on my Facebook feed as well.
Are people THAT narcissistic and self absorbed to not realize how tactless and disrespectful they are being?
They are standing in front of the names of dead people and there very well could be the families and friends of those people who came to pay their respects who have to witness this stupidity and narcissism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 09:05 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
Was in NYC recently and always amazed at the number of people who think it's OK to smile and take selfies in front of something like the 9/11 memorial. I've seen similar things on my Facebook feed as well.
Are people THAT narcissistic and self absorbed to not realize how tactless and disrespectful they are being?
They are standing in front of the names of dead people and there very well could be the families and friends of those people who came to pay their respects who have to witness this stupidity and narcissism.
I think a lot of tourists are treating it like a national playground. They perhaps did not lose anybody on that day, so it is human for them to feel a little bit disconnected.

I lost couple of very good friends in battle field, and I have a lot of friends who are active duty or former Marines. We were being told once that we laughed too loud and it was very disrespectful in a bar near Marine Corps base on Memorial day. I think a Vietnam era veteran told us that and he was very upset. He also asked us what is there to celebrate, and he said the new generation Marines are too soft (something like that, don't remember the exact words) The fact is that most of the Marines on that day are combat Marines served several tours. How are they "soft" ?

Needless to say, we left without making a scene., but to be honest with you, none of us really felt particularly guilty. The friends we lost would've wanted us to drink and enjoyed ourselves. After all, what is the best way to remember them other than doing the thing they loved the most when they were alive. Not everybody grieves the same.

many people do not live near national cemeteries, cannot visit Arlington, or don’t know people who have lost loved ones in battle whom they could personally thank. Many people are given that day off, so they do the next best thing: They enjoy their freedom; they celebrate the day. That might include grilling steak and eating bbq, a parade, or just dinner on the patio with family and friends.

There are many ways to honor the dead. For some people it means regularly visiting a grave site where a loved one or friend is buried. For others, though, it’s talking about that person, remembering the way he or she lived, or doing something that person would have liked.

all these being said, I think it is always nice to be sensitive toward OTHER people's emotions and feelings. It is poor taste to take smiling selfies or treat the national memorials like Disneyland. I don't think they are jerks, but I do believe people need to be a little bit sensitive at times.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:16 AM

Forgot to add, I can never understand how can a mom setting a boy on the names of the dead.

Like this one.

Tourists treating 9/11 Memorial like a playground | New York Post

Old 08-30-2016, 09:17 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,198,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
Absolutely. The culture of The Great Me-Me-Me.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:32 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Forgot to add, I can never understand how can a mom setting a boy on the names of the dead.

Like this one.

Tourists treating 9/11 Memorial like a playground | New York Post
Until earlier this year, I worked next to the 9/11 Memorial and walked through it every day. I am a WTC survivor. One day a bunch of 20 -somethings were taking pictures. One jumped up and plopped his ass right on the names, holding out his arms to the side. A security guard who was only about the same age walked over to him and yelled, "Get off of there! This is not Disney World. People died here."

I walked over and thanked the guard, who said he has to do that every day.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Until earlier this year, I worked next to the 9/11 Memorial and walked through it every day. I am a WTC survivor. One day a bunch of 20 -somethings were taking pictures. One jumped up and plopped his ass right on the names, holding out his arms to the side. A security guard who was only about the same age walked over to him and yelled, "Get off of there! This is not Disney World. People died here."

sad... People can be very insensitive.

I am so happy that you survived.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:44 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,453,797 times
It isn't just the US where this happens.

The Canadian National War Memorial in Ottawa, has a daily sentry party of four Canadian Forces members, plus a Master Corporal, specifically to deter the idiots. They tell me that the vast majority of the "offenders " are not Canadians. They are visitors to Canada, from various countries. The memorial is a massive marble structure about 40 feet high, but the grave of the Unknown Soldier is directly in front of it, at ground level. It is a grave, so we respect it and it's significance.

The 2 armed sentries are positioned with in 10 feet of the Tomb, so that visitors will get the idea that it isn't a playground. They change positions every half hour, for rest and to use the toilet located below the memorial.

But every shift the Corporal has to call out... Move away from the Tomb... NOW , in both English and French. And if that doesn't get the required effect, he/she marches up and takes the person by the arm and marches them away off of Confederation Square. The Ottawa city Police have a one man standing patrol from 8 pm to 8 am, that covers the area of the square.

Jim B.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:45 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,372,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I think that's the answer. You have to publicly tell these people what insensitive clods they are being.
Amazing that you'd have to but, here we are!
We also live in a culture where we have to remind people that it's not a good idea to play Pokemon GO while crossing a busy street or while DRIVING A CAR!!

Old 08-30-2016, 09:49 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
sad... People can be very insensitive.

I am so happy that you survived.
Thank you.

I think especially "kids" don't get it. My dd is 25. She was 10 when the buildings went down. About 4 or 5 years ago, I realized she never knew the details of what I personally experienced that day. Now what about young adults who have no connection whatsoever?

Old 08-30-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
It isn't just the US where this happens.

The Canadian National War Memorial in Ottawa, has a daily sentry party of four Canadian Forces members, plus a Master Corporal, specifically to deter the idiots. They tell me that the vast majority of the "offenders " are not Canadians. They are visitors to Canada, from various countries. The memorial is a massive marble structure about 40 feet high, but the grave of the Unknown Soldier is directly in front of it, at ground level. It is a grave, so we respect it and it's significance.

The 2 armed sentries are positioned with in 10 feet of the Tomb, so that visitors will get the idea that it isn't a playground. They change positions every half hour, for rest and to use the toilet located below the memorial.

But every shift the Corporal has to call out... Move away from the Tomb... NOW , in both English and French. And if that doesn't get the required effect, he/she marches up and takes the person by the arm and marches them away off of Confederation Square. The Ottawa city Police have a one man standing patrol from 8 pm to 8 am, that covers the area of the square.

Jim B.
agreed.

Also,

It is not a good idea to take smiling selfies just inside the gate marked "Arbeit macht frei."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies