Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 02:07 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,237,379 times

Advertisements

Genetic modification inserts genes into a living thing to change the way it lives: make it grow faster, make it resistant to diseases, make it produce a certain enzyme, etc. This sort manipulation has high-tech science behind this with motives primarily for profit.

On this forum, there are a number of people claiming GMO is healthy and there are a number of people claiming GMO food is unhealthy. While GMO food is man-made it resembles it's natural parent somewhat.

My question is what toxins or nutritional imbalances does eating a genetically modified organism instead of it's natural parent bring?

Keep in mind that balanced diet requires many nutrients that ultimately originate from organic and inorganic components in the soil. It is important to eat a wide variety of things, though as not to become deficient or toxic on any one nutrient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 03:00 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,410,518 times
You have it wrong, Hurricane...
Genetically modified plants are NATURE made and MAN modified. Everything that natural plant has genetically is still there, but has been tinkered with on a molecular level.

Since every living creature processes it's food on the molecular level, that is where the problem lies. No one knows what may happen to our own DNA when alien, man-made DNA is introduced. Will we all become resistant to Roundup, the A-bomb of botany? Or will Roundup molecules end up in our double helix?

Why modify for Roundup? Because the seed won't die when sprayed. GMO lettuce seed won't die, but everything else in the field will. It is a fix-all for all the crops that die when Roundup is sprayed. Spraying Roundup will become possible for the first time on all those crops.

If Roundup does enter our genes, it might not poison us, but it might cause us to become susceptible to some brand new disease that could be lethal. Or it might not be lethal to us, but our unborn children could all die. Or our unborn children may not be able to digest any of the plants that Roundup kills.

None of this has ever been tested. No one even knows what will happen when GMO seed pollinates with natural seed. The only thing we now know is the GMO seed has been genetically modified to die after one season of growth. Monsanto planned this, so as to make new GMO seed has to be purchased crop after crop. What effects will that genetic modification have on us? Will it shorten all our life spans by decades?

Those are the real dangers and questions of GMO food stocks. It's much more than just us humans, too. Nothing is known about how this GMO will affect the animals we eat, or how it will continue to be effective when the plants Roundup now kills finds their ways of resistance to Roundup.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:14 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,872,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid
Genetic modification inserts genes into a living thing to change the way it lives: make it grow faster, make it resistant to diseases, make it produce a certain enzyme, etc. This sort manipulation has high-tech science behind this with motives primarily for profit.
Yes like ANALOGUE MEDIA BEING MESSED WITH AND TRAPPED IN A DIGITAL VOID -- Its garbage!!

Old 06-04-2013, 03:54 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,465,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Since every living creature processes it's food on the molecular level, that is where the problem lies. No one knows what may happen to our own DNA when alien, man-made DNA is introduced. Will we all become resistant to Roundup, the A-bomb of botany? Or will Roundup molecules end up in our double helix?
I'm not a fan of GMOs, but we don't incorporate the DNA of what we eat into our own DNA. Nor will Roundup replace bits of DNA to make you a mutated pesticide person like The Toxic Avenger. Take a fricken biology class, this isn't even close to reality

There are some real issues with GMO's not being thoroughly tested, especially crossing things that have new proteins they did not before (corn with soy proteins and people who are allergic). However, people like this without even the most basic education (or concept) in what they fear make anyone who is concerned look like a completely ignorant fool.

The best thing you can do for your cause is to keep quiet.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:58 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,761,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
My question is what toxins or nutritional imbalances does eating a genetically modified organism instead of it's natural parent bring?
We don't know, and that's the problem.

Not only are the methods used proprietary, but even if they weren't, I doubt we'd be able to figure out their effects on the human body.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:16 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,570,733 times
All the governments and the WHO and Monsanto all say GMO foods are safe.
These same people have also debunked any and all private studies saying otherwise. And those scientists that did those studies have been punished, banned, suspended, fired, had their reputations dragged through the mud so they won't be doing any more studies.
All public funded studies show no problems.

And when public backlash is that great (e.g. cow hormone in the milk - rBGH) then big pharma (Monsanto) just sells it to someone else.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:22 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,465,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
We don't know, and that's the problem.

Not only are the methods used proprietary, but even if they weren't, I doubt we'd be able to figure out their effects on the human body.
Is this serious? We should be frightened of something in which we can never know the effects?

I don’t know the effects of holding a pen in my hand, or putting a piece of notebook paper in my shoe, but I’m not going to work on banning either out of fear of some unproven (especially if it cannot be proven) harm. That’s insane. You don’t seem to care what harm something can do, you just want to ban something because you cannot understand it.

I think we should submit them to testing at least as half as stringent (I would prefer equal) as they do drugs, and if there is proven harm or problems destroy it. There’s the difference of evidence and proof of harm, not just childish fears.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:26 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,237,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Is this serious? We should be frightened of something in which we can never know the effects?

I don’t know the effects of holding a pen in my hand, or putting a piece of notebook paper in my shoe, but I’m not going to work on banning either out of fear of some unproven (especially if it cannot be proven) harm. That’s insane. You don’t seem to care what harm something can do, you just want to ban something because you cannot understand it.

I think we should submit them to testing at least as half as stringent (I would prefer equal) as they do drugs, and if there is proven harm or problems destroy it. There’s the difference of evidence and proof of harm, not just childish fears.
The way it used to be in the old days is that you only ate what's safe. GMO food apparently causes some allergies in some people, so it ain't safe for them.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:42 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,230,743 times
The risks are hypothetical, which is why it's important to regulate food and make sure it is safe before it hits the market. Which we already do.

There are no reasons to fear current GMO produce being sold. It's been tested to be safe.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:44 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,761,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
if you plan on eating it, yes. i think it's safer to stick close to the plants we've evolved to eat.

Quote:
I don’t know the effects of holding a pen in my hand, or putting a piece of notebook paper in my shoe, but I’m not going to work on banning either out of fear of some unproven (especially if it cannot be proven) harm. That’s insane.
Well, first off, unless you plan on eating that pen or notebook paper, I don't think it's the same.

And second, I never said a word about "banning" anything. So.. maybe you're the insane one here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies