Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 08:39 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
There's a Vice documentary out there about watermelon seeding and harvesting in Alabama.

The state made E- Verify the law for all employers/ employees. The illegal workers migrated to adjoining states who chose not to make E-Verify a state law.

The farm offered Minimum Wage to US workers. There were takers. They did not last the day in the heat with the heavy workload. The crop rotted.

The Alabama farmers realized they could not compete on price with growers in other states if they had to offer Minimum Wage especially for low production.

They asked the state for help thinking those on welfare could be required to work the field. Most recipients are women with children, disabled or elderly not suitable for heavy farm work.

Next season, they worked with the state and hired big beefy inmates paying the state cents on the dollar. They too did not last in the heat with the heavy workload. The crop rotted.

No reason Big Grocer and thus consumers were going to pay a substantial premium for watermelon planted and harvested by US workers when cheap watermelon was available from most states that rejected E- Verify and continued to pay undocumented workers by the pound harvested.

The US has been importing farm workers for more than 100 years, no different than other countries.
Only 2% of illegals are picking crops and for those jobs there are unlimited visas for legal, foreign workers. It is not a career job for Americans and is only seasonal work. The Alabama farmers only had themselves to blame for not hiring workers under the visa program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 08:41 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post
Yes, of course. Now we're into speculation. You really don't have anything to support your viewpoint other than your personal situation which doesn't apply to the nation as a whole. Again, both sides are to blame, and as soon as people take off their partisan hats and look at this situation with an objective eye, they will realize that.

Realize what?
That illegal exploited labor, stagnates the going rates of labor? Doing jobs Americans don't want to do for the low pay, the illegals created?

Gotcha!

Old 09-05-2016, 08:45 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
A free trader myself. The problem with immigrants is the welfare state. The purpose of work is to create goods and services, not jobs.
That depends. NJ and Oregon have had long standing legislation that makes it unlawful to pump your own gas and do so to protect jobs. Mexico does the same. Over in Canada it's determined at the municipal level.

Variations like this exist all over the world.

On the flip side, most every rule based job can be done better, faster and cheaper with technology substitution. No reason to pay a human when a machine and software can do it better, faster and cheaper.

Tens of millions of jobs that used to be no longer are because of technology substitution.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:45 AM

1,099 posts, read 901,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Realize what?
That illegal exploited labor, stagnates the going rates of labor? Doing jobs Americans don't want to do for the low pay, the illegals created?

Gotcha!
Realize that both sides are to blame (think that was rather obvious). And that you have no cogent argument for your viewpoint other than your speculation and your personal experience that doesn't apply to the nation as a whole.

Gotcha

Should I just keep repeating the same points over and over for you to ignore?

Old 09-05-2016, 08:57 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Illegals have broken the back of construction trades unions in southern California. Construction trades used to be a ticket to a solid middle class lifestyle, no more.
For those that doubt the truth of what you are saying I would suggest visiting prevailing wage websites comparing what drywall installers earned 20 years ago compared to what the published wage is today. 20 years ago $20 (in 1996 dollars) was common but today it's $14 and less in 2016 dollars.

I'm in construction management and I see that EVERY SINGLE DAY. Totally unbelievable how illegal law breakers have broken the backs of the middle class in the United States.

If you are black forget it, you will NEVER get a job in construction. 20 years ago 50% of masons and concrete workers were black and trying to think here... I don't recall seeing a single black masonry or concrete worker in the last three years. I am sure there has been a couple but right off hand I don't remember. That said remember I could care less what color you are; you make me money and I am happy with you whoever you are.

If you are white you are the new discriminated against group and don't you doubt me. Go ahead, if you are 20 and in good shape try to get a job hanging drywall and get back to me.

Think about it. Republicans support illegal immigration for more compliant workers while democrats support illegal immigration for future votes. Meanwhile blacks continue, and will continue, to support democrats with the policies that put bullets in the future of young blacks across the country.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Realize that both sides are to blame (think that was rather obvious). And that you have no cogent argument for your viewpoint other than your speculation and your personal experience that doesn't apply to the nation as a whole.

Gotcha

Should I just keep repeating the same points over and over for you to ignore?
Who are on the sides you speak of?

Don't get me wrong... I'd be the first the swim the Rio Grande, if I were in Mexico and America was saying comeon over, we won't look.

Are the sides government v. the citizens?

Is it employers v. employees?

Mexico v. America?

Regardless who is to blame, where does that leave the American Citizen that loves to work with their hands?

Old 09-05-2016, 09:00 AM

1,099 posts, read 901,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Who are on the side you speak of?

Don't get me wrong... I'd be the first the swim the Rio Grande, if I were in Mexico and America was saying comeon over, we won't look.
Sigh. I'm sorry. I don't have any more time for this nonsense. Have a good holiday.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Sigh. I'm sorry. I don't have any more time for this nonsense. Have a good holiday.

I understand. That was a rather hard question, when one is partisan.

The Establishment(both sides) v. the people

Old 09-05-2016, 09:09 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Ahh, the magic word..."if". But right now that's not the case, so you are advocating hiring people that have broken the law for labor. As far as I know, no system, Capitalism or any other, advocates doing that.
Amazing how the right wing "less government" crowd advocates more government when it is convenient to them.

Why not allow a true . A good conservative right wing Republican should be in favor of "laissez-faire" system at all times.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:09 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The public doesn't get to vote on immigration issues nor do they get to vote for enforcement or non-enforcement. It's already a given that our politicians are obligated to enforce our laws....all of them.
Illegal immigration became a tidal wave in the 80's.

30 years of doing nothing landed us where we are at, right now.

It has not mattered who sat the oval or held the majority. They all kicked the can.

And as long as politicians and the media who loves them can persuade us it's a partisan issue, they are able to protect employers.

So long as US employers can continue to employ undocumented people without fear of harsh consequences, workers will come. No wall is high enough nor patrols deep enough.

Employment has been the root cause of illegal immigration, all along.

Immigrants, legal and otherwise, have gotten busy creating anchor babies all along. Used to be the anchor baby enabled the family to acquire legal residency, import their extended family and move to the front of the line for citizenship.

SCOTUS needs to rule on birthright citizenship. If affirmative, a super majority of Congress are needed to agree to an amendment. POTUS does not get a vote. Then 38 states must ratify it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies