Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 07:53 PM

1,202 posts, read 641,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Not sure if you were being tongue-in-cheek re: your children working abroad, but I honestly believe we're reaching the point that American citizens' best option is to expatriate. Were I a parent, it's something I'd highly recommend for my children.
Being very serious. If I was in the financial position to leave the US I would. My wife will start college to become an RN in January graduate in 2 years. I already looked into jobs in Europe for her....Convincing her is another thing altogether. I feel no great attachment to America and never have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 07:54 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,094,408 times
I really don't like this plan. I think there are better ways to go about it...zero interest federal loans, an increase in federal grants and scholarships, reclassifying student loan debt so it can be discharged in bankruptcy, and free community college.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:55 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
An even better way is to let those who wish to go to college pay for it themselves or seek their own private funding.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:59 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
An even better way is to let those who wish to go to college pay for it themselves or seek their own private funding.
Just like in the third world countries. Good luck with that. Companies will flee the country if you get your way. A massively under-educated population, a sick population, a rapid fall into third world status as the billionaire class steamroll over the 99%.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:00 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthrope83 View Post
Being very serious. If I was in the financial position to leave the US I would. My wife will start college to become an RN in January graduate in 2 years. I already looked into jobs in Europe for her....Convincing her is another thing altogether. I feel no great attachment to America and never have.
Don't blame you -- hope you're able to do it!

In case you didn't know, the 'home of the brave' not only taxes its citizens after they die but also taxes them when they relinquish their citizenship (Expatriation Tax).

Old 09-08-2016, 08:01 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthrope83 View Post
60k gets you a two year stay in Costa Rica.

200k buys you oceanfront.

I'm learning Spanish.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:06 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,186,735 times
Great idea! I'm surprised you guys are pouncing on this??? I read a lot of doom and gloom about how bad the economy is under Obama here. This will help those of you or, your offspring, to be part of the US economy and not be left behind like so many of you posters seem to be. This will allow those who come from families with not enough to pay for college and it will make sure these students graduate and do not become burdened with student loans and interest on those loans. They can save for retirement, a home, vacations or whatever (stuff that will contribute to the economy). You naysayers are not looking at the big picture.

Also, READ the article. The OP only pasted a small section of the article. It is not enough to understand it. Here is a better snippet:

"Clinton now proposes no tuition for students from families making less than $85,000 when they go to an in-state, public college. That threshold would rise to $125,000 by 2021. All community colleges would be tuition-free, in addition to making it easier for existing borrowers to refinance at lower rates, limit repayments to 10 percent of income and forgive any remaining college debt after 20 years. The plan would cost the federal government an estimated $500 billion over 10 years, which the Clinton campaign says would be paid for by ending tax preferences for wealthier Americans."

"Republican Donald Trump has promised a “great” student debt plan, details to come. Trump appears to view student debt as inflating college costs to levels that are only worsening the problem."

Finally, look at the Federal budget (it is online for all to see). Cheers.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:11 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Great idea! I'm surprised you guys are pouncing on this??? I read a lot of doom and gloom about how bad the economy is under Obama here. This will help those of you or, your offspring, to be part of the US economy and not be left behind like so many of you posters seem to be. This will allow those who come from families with not enough to pay for college and it will make sure these students graduate and do not become burdened with student loans and interest on those loans. They can save for retirement, a home, vacations or whatever (stuff that will contribute to the economy). You naysayers are not looking at the big picture.

Also, READ the article. The OP only pasted a small section of the article. It is not enough to understand it. Here is a better snippet:

"Clinton now proposes no tuition for students from families making less than $85,000 when they go to an in-state, public college. That threshold would rise to $125,000 by 2021. All community colleges would be tuition-free, in addition to making it easier for existing borrowers to refinance at lower rates, limit repayments to 10 percent of income and forgive any remaining college debt after 20 years. The plan would cost the federal government an estimated $500 billion over 10 years, which the Clinton campaign says would be paid for by ending tax preferences for wealthier Americans."

"Republican Donald Trump has promised a “great” student debt plan, details to come. Trump appears to view student debt as inflating college costs to levels that are only worsening the problem."

Finally, look at the Federal budget (it is online for all to see). Cheers.
It's a dumb idea which will drive costs up even more because there's even less incentive to reduce cost increases. Nothing that costs money to provide is free even if the end user doesn't pay directly.

Tuition is high b/c government guarantees the loans. No sane entity would loan $200K+ to an 18-yo kid who wants to earn a BA in gender studies but it happens b/c the risk is low.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sazzo9L7tKI

Old 09-08-2016, 08:18 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,370,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
It's a dumb idea which will drive costs up even more because there's even less incentive to reduce cost increases. Nothing that costs money to provide is free even if the end user doesn't pay directly.

Tuition is high b/c government guarantees the loans. No sane entity would loan $200K+ to an 18-yo kid who wants to earn a BA in gender studies but it happens b/c the risk is low.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sazzo9L7tKI
For the win!

Old 09-08-2016, 08:20 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
I could use a free car also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies