Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 02:42 PM

8,238 posts, read 3,492,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
When you smoke, you essentially make a choice to get cancer. When you balloon up to the size of a whale, you essentially make a choice to get heart disease, diabetes, etc.

Then after you make that choice, you want your private health insurance to pay for it. Your premiums will only cover a fraction of the cost, so that means essentially your care is covered by the insurance company..from the premiums of other healthy policy holders.

So either way, whether public or private insurance, you're really asking to redistribute the cost of your actions onto other people. Doesn't that sound rather parasitic to you?

I thought conservatives were for personal responsibility and all that?
Some people "balloon up like a whale" because they develop blood sugar issues. Someone who is insulin resistant will gain weight no matter what they eat or how much they exercise.

When I was a child I was so skinny that people thought I was anorexic. I developed blood sugar issues and gained weight rapidly when I was a young adult. I could walk a mile a day and eat less than 1500 calories a day and still gain weight. I struggled constantly to keep myself at an average weight.

Then while I was injured I couldn't exercise anymore and all bets were off. Had I got the surgery sooner I wouldn't have gained so much weight, but they often delay approval for surgery. Because I can no longer exercise since my knee keeps giving out I cannot get any of the weight off no matter how much I starve myself. When I was homeless and living in my truck I sometimes ate only crackers all day. Sometimes less than 500 calories a day. Did I lose weight? Nope! I gained weight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 03:16 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,813,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
When you smoke, you essentially make a choice to get cancer. When you balloon up to the size of a whale, you essentially make a choice to get heart disease, diabetes, etc.

Then after you make that choice, you want your private health insurance to pay for it. Your premiums will only cover a fraction of the cost, so that means essentially your care is covered by the insurance company..from the premiums of other healthy policy holders.

So either way, whether public or private insurance, you're really asking to redistribute the cost of your actions onto other people. Doesn't that sound rather parasitic to you?

I thought conservatives were for personal responsibility and all that?
Yes, I do take personal responsibility. That's why I PAY thousands of dollars every year for insurance of all types...auto, life, homeowners (including an umbrella policy), and health insurance. That is the whole purpose of insurance, to help protect yourself from bad things that can happen. By having the foresight to cover these things IS taking personal responsibility.

You've got some failed logic there if you don't think someone is taking personal responsibility by buying insurance. That is what you're paying the insurance company to do...cover you when things happen. Every policy an insurer writes is a risk/contract that they evaluate and charge you for...some they make money on, and others they lose. I could be a fool, and just gamble that I'll never need the coverage, but that would be the IRRESPONSIBLE thing to do.

Old 09-10-2016, 03:18 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
We already do the same thing here in the USA only they use different language... like "you're not good candidate for surgery" or"you have to lose 50 pounds before we can do the surgery" or "you're too high risk."
It's a doctors call, not that of a govt bureaucrat.

Old 09-10-2016, 03:26 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Healthcare is rationed everywhere.

How it's rationed is the variable.
I've done consulting jobs for two major healthcare payers in this country. Most people would recognize the names of both of them. I can tell you that the for-profit spent 90% of meeting time talking about money and 10% talking about patient care and provider satisfaction. In the well known non-profit, which also makes good money, but re-invests in the organization, the ratio was opposite. 90% patient care and provider relations, 10% money. Yet they make money.

Old 09-10-2016, 03:42 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I've done consulting jobs for two major healthcare payers in this country. Most people would recognize the names of both of them. I can tell you that the for-profit spent 90% of meeting time talking about money and 10% talking about patient care and provider satisfaction. In the well known non-profit, which also makes good money, but re-invests in the organization, the ratio was opposite. 90% patient care and provider relations, 10% money. Yet they make money.
... and the patient pays for it all ...
SIGH.

Old 09-10-2016, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
... and the patient pays for it all ...
SIGH.
Actually, in the non- profit, the patient & provider receive 90%. Reading comprehension much? Or do you think doctors and nurses should work for free?

Old 09-10-2016, 05:51 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
The private insurance companies do it now, based on profit. Happens all the time.

Why are they in the middle, instead of at the end of the transaction?

Old 09-10-2016, 05:54 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Actually, in the non- profit, the patient & provider receive 90%. Reading comprehension much? Or do you think doctors and nurses should work for free?

Back when Blue Cross was just called Blue Shield, all health insurance was non-profit. It was illegal for insurance to be for profit.

Old 09-11-2016, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Why are they in the middle, instead of at the end of the transaction?
Because many hospitalizations and procedures require prior authorization by the insurance company.

Old 09-11-2016, 01:28 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Yes, Medicare-for-all is absolutely needed. The private insurance companies are acting like leeches on a system geared towards profits and not human health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies