Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2016, 11:50 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times

Advertisements

On the news earlier to day (CNN I think) they showed a still picture of what was supposedly Scott's gun. I couldn't make out the type. Maybe a small semi-auto. Charlotte police said they are going to show the videos to Scott's family and then make them available to the public. We'll see.

Old 09-22-2016, 11:51 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,187,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I have no idea what the exact laws in N.C. are. So use....he had it laying on the seat.
No, unless you have a valid concealed carry permit, you're not allowed to have the weapon anywhere within easy reach. As it's impossible to obtain such a permit if you have a DUI conviction within the last 3 years and he had one last year, he did not have a permit to carry concealed. And it's likely that his 7-year-prison sentence in Texas means that he was a convicted felon and most likely not permitted to possess a firearm at all.

Here's a link to NC firearm laws:

http://ncja.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/ab0e2cc...arms-Laws.aspx

Old 09-22-2016, 11:53 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
No, unless you have a valid concealed carry permit, you're not allowed to have the weapon anywhere within easy reach. As it's impossible to obtain such a permit if you have a DUI conviction within the last 3 years and he had one last year, he did not have a permit to carry concealed. And it's likely that his 7-year-prison sentence in Texas means that he was a convicted felon and most likely not permitted to possess a firearm at all.

Here's a link to NC firearm laws:

http://ncja.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/ab0e2cc...arms-Laws.aspx

Couldn't rep you again, yet. Evidently Google is too time consuming for pknopp....

Old 09-22-2016, 11:59 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,046 times
Quote:
"Mistakes" where a life is taken should never be acceptable.

It does happen. So? As we are seeing we have a national problem.
I understand the stakes are high, but if you're never made a mistake while on the job (whatever line of work you're in), then you may speak from a position of authority. We ask cops to deal with lots of unstable and volatile situations, some of them involving life and death. We ask surgeons to do the same thing.

To expect any one, in any line of work, to be 100% perfect and always made the right decision.....while we judge from the comfort of our arm chair, with hours to ponder the validity and advisability of any one particular action, is expecting far to much of any human, to say the least.

We should hope that with any profession where the job demands you carry a gun, that we hire only the best and brightest. However, my fear with the current climate with law enforcement, why would anyone wish to subject themselves to a career where if you make a single mistake, you could perhaps lose your job, your pension, be tried and convicted of murder and live your live out in prison, or perhaps even lose your life.

I'm not sure even the best and brightest would ever consider a job offer with circumstances like they currently are. Reason, logic and even the specific facts of the act doesn't even seem to matter to the current rioting crowd....they want blood, fire, mayhem and some free **** from looting, and the facts of the matter be damned. Why on earth when a black cop kills a black man are they shooting about what a devil "whitey" is....or hurting random white people ? I guess that's another sign of racism, when you with intent harm/injure/kill random people depending on the color of their skin.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:02 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
I NEVER argued that they protested legally.
And I never claimed you did. I simply pointed out that while the protest began legally (roads were not being blocked and were peaceful), they became illegal when looting, property damage and people being shot in the street began to occur.

Is that an untrue statement?

Old 09-22-2016, 12:03 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
an·ar·chy
ˈanərkē/Submit
noun
a state of disorder due to absence or nonrecognition of authority.
"he must ensure public order in a country threatened with anarchy"
synonyms: lawlessness, nihilism, mobocracy, revolution, insurrection, disorder, chaos, mayhem, tumult, turmoil
"conditions are dangerously ripe for anarchy"
There is no mayhem, chaos or any of those kinds of things in theoretical Anarchy. The author of that definition assumes those things will happen and with human nature being what it is, they likely would but none of those are a part of Anarchy.

So do I tend to side with the idea of live and let live? I do but I understand that the shortcomings of our human nature requires some laws.

They should be as limited as possible. Actually enforced and enforced equally for all.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:05 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,225,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
So you are saying you refuse to deal with the facts and instead are throwing a temper tantrum? Who do you think you are? The president?
No, I posted a long summary of comments the last time he posted those stats, I'm not going to write them again, nor search to find them and link it.

Anyone who is unaware that we have a massive crime problem in this country is not paying attention, maybe as a society we might need to focus ALSO on the crime at the top of the ladder in the Executives Suites of Corporations. They seem to be the deciding factors between paying lobbyist, buying politicians and outsourcing the function and capabilities people could engage if they had jobs. But, Nope, we sling mud in the streets while the executives bleed us dry.

If anyone thinks that the Media does not play into it, is not paying attention, "they are driven to pursue an angle to push drama and then sensationalize it, and we buy into it every day, all day with the incessant 24/7 talking heads that sit behind the desk.

I stopped watching the protest last night !!! For one it is UN-ORGANIZED, and they don't know how to mange the radical mentality elements.
I don't have any regard or respect for the "looters", nor those who destroy personal property of business, whom had absolutely nothing to do with any of this. I don't care for the people who just wander aimless and yell, without a means to present themselves in a manner to be understood.
I don't like the fact that things get so far off railed by lack or structure, that it becomes a silly fest, and the media pushes it as a major advertising selling Special.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
You know this how?
I never said it happened that way. I said it might have and until we find out.......

Old 09-22-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
This would exclude him from having a weapon......
It might....we will have to see.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:07 PM

46,287 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
I never said it happened that way. I said it might have and until we find out.......

May as well, that way you can have your desired one way conversation without any push back....that way you can sit there and pat yourself on the back saying, yea....I'm am right....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies