Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2016, 07:59 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times

Advertisements

No. There is a huge push to NOT use antibiotics because of resistant varieties.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-05-2016, 08:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've read that so many go seeking abx drugs when they have colds and flu and often the MD's give them the drugs.
If you don't go to doctors, you wouldn't know what they do. I worked in a pediatric office for 11years. Patients/parents did sometimes request antibiotics by phone and in person, but the docs didn't give them out for no reason and extremely rarely over the phone. So rare that I can recall about two times in those 11 years, and one of those times was during a blizzard.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:22 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've read that so many go seeking abx drugs when they have colds and flu and often the MD's give them the drugs.
Why Doctors Uselessly Prescribe Antibiotics for a Common Cold

Most upper respiratory infections are caused by viruses, and will clear up on their own in a few days. Yet about half of the 100 million prescriptions written for antibiotics each year are for respiratory ailments that aren’t going to be helped by a drug.

Prescribing an antibiotic for a viral infection is not only wasteful, it can hurt the patient. More than 140,000 people, many of them young children, land in the emergency room each year with a serious reaction to an antibiotic. Nearly 9,000 of those patients have to be hospitalized.

So why do doctors write the prescription? Most do it out of habit or to make their patients happy. A mother brings her sick child to the pediatrician and expects to walk out with a prescription. It takes time for the doctor to explain why antibiotics won’t do any good and might in fact do her child harm.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:27 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Good grief, what are you a human chemical analyzer?

The Cleveland Water Department conducted a study comparing their water to Fiji bottled water. The study found that Fiji contained the highest level of arsenic and other contaminates when compared to Cleveland’s city water and other bottled water. The Surprising Discovery Of What Is Really Inside A Fiji Bottle Of Water

Nope but sometimes I wonder if I should consider becoming one since it's a marketable field.

A .net article on this kind of subject? No thanks. I think I'll pass but since we are so intent on believing what is written, my blood test in May had barely any abnormalities. Considering I've had stress for a huge chunk of my life (way before I even knew about Fiji) AND I don't have the best diet I'm healthier than I should be. With my crappy diet and the humongous amount of stress, I'm confident that arsenic would put me in the hospital.

Quote:
I am glad that you feel that you are in tune with your body. Just do not be so in tune that you ignore the preponderance of medical and scientific evidence. You can endanger yourself and others.
Articles mean nothing to me unless I can verify them in my own mind. I might research an article on a particular sup/herb but I don't make a claim about it until I've tried it.
If science was always correct, I wouldn't be real. I should be a fictional character because a lot of things about me don't make sense. Sometimes I even confuse myself. For example, they say deja vu is fake but I have experienced it a lot. They also say gay-dar is a myth but I haven't been surprised by any celeb who's come out of the closet...even Ricky Martin who people considered a ladies man seemed "off" to me. There was something deep inside me that knew my ex bf was a jerk (though I didn't listen) and it was all from just the way his face looked. He didn't display any "jerk" tendencies when we were dating. In fact he acted nice. A few years later it was like a complete 360. Same thing with my job coach. She acted really nice to me and not overly fake nice..no good reason why I shouldn't trust her but like a year later she abandons me.
Endangering myself would be to blindly follow doctors or to assume that scientists always have the answer just because they have a degree.

Quote:
I'll give you a hint - dihydrogen monoxide is also known as H2O.

You see why it might be a problem to suggest it does not exist in Fiji "Water"?

You're making it up as you go along.
Okay so I'm not up on my chemical terminology and I thought too fast for my fingers this time. When you type "novels" like I do sometimes you hit an error or two.
However this doesn't change a thing. It goes both ways. If you know that there is an article about the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide which is fake then how do you know that websites that tell you there are side effects to a supplement aren't fake? How do you know that doctors are always telling the truth?
Also the compound H20 is not even remotely close to the chemicals in prescription drugs. When I use the word "chemicals" I'm not taking it literally, I mean a substance that is not pure/synthetic.

Quote:
Jamin you are not helping our anti non herbal medicine cause here

Last edited by Nickchick; 10-05-2016 at 08:54 PM..

Old 10-05-2016, 09:56 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
They're just making up lies because they felt insulted. It's a natural reaction for most people. I take everything I read in the news with a grain of salt.
If there was arsenic I would know. I have very in tune senses (the only bad one is my eyesight but I'm still very observant..just need glasses) In Aquafina, I can feel a lot of unnatural stuff. Even in Dasani, I can feel a few chemicals that don't feel right on the tongue. With Fiji all I feel is water.
It seems your "very in tune senses" do not pick up the arsenic in Fiji, since measurable amounts of arsenic were found in it.

Bottled drinking water has all sorts of minerals in it.

Distilled water has most minerals removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post
There are cures--thanks to the antibiotic revolution (we are now moving out of as bacterial diseases mutate and become drug resistant to our drugs today)--for some bacterial diseases like a number of sexually transmitted diseases. Total cures and not merely remissions.

One problem in science is that in practice it often functions like theology in that a set doctrine can not be challenged, and therefore young scientists might be taught to look for and address a problem per a route that is not the right way to be going about the problem solving.

That is not to say all the laws and theories in science need to not be believed. However, it is good to question some things and at the risk of error see if what is taught as virtual dogma might be disproven. That might be simply a method or route to solving a problem dealing with cancer or some disease or disorder. Questioning that method or route and seeing if a more novel one you've conceputalized might work to any degree at all.

I'm a big fan of modern medicine and modern medical care. There have been tremendous advancements over the decades and centuries. But my one issue with modern day practice of medicine is that it emphasizes on treating people after they get ill, rather than a greater emphasis on the prevention of getting ill. But the latter really has a lot more to do with adequate exercise, good diet, clean healthy water to drink, and reducing the stresses in life (the last one is hard as modern American life is built on stress).

The profit motivation in the pharmaceutical industry is something else to look at. Profit motivations can be good in stimulating researchers and companies to find cures, investment of money and man power in doing so, but it can "unjustly" result in certain medical or psychological problems getting far more attention (financially and in research) than other medical and psychological problems.
I hate to see the meme that doctors do not address life style issues. They do. All. The. Time. For high blood pressure, diabetes, abnormal cholesterol: lifestyle changes are the very first step in the treatment algorithm. For those who choose to go to the doctor when they are healthy maintaining a healthy weight with a good diet and exercise will be discussed by a good internist or family medicine doctor.

Patients fail to follow medical advice. All. The. Time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
That's the thing about science and medicine, we are all Homo sapiens sapiens, with the same organs, but every person's body is different, if you know what I mean. Some drugs, natural or manufactured, work well for one person and not the next, I guess it would be a lot easier if we were all clones!

Immunotherapy is getting bigger and bigger, where they will take your own T-cells out of your body and "reprogram" them to help find and destroy the specific cancer that you have. They still have much more research to do to make it better, but it has saved people's lives. I feel the individualized treatment and therapies are only going to get bigger and better, instead of just trying everything under the sun to see what works.

Last year I had the amazing opportunity to donate my peripheral blood stem cells (PBSCs) to save an anonymous, unrelated, 33-year-old male, in Europe dying from acute myeloid leukemia (AML). I had been on the bone marrow registry for 11 years and I was their last hope. There was no guarantee that my stem cells would engraft and cause his cancer to go into remission. I never once thought about backing out, I was all in, and good news, my cells did engraft into their bone marrow and their cancer is now in remission for over a year a half now. We now have the exact same blood (DNA wise) in both of us!
Your observation is right on the spot. Researchers are now keying in on genetics that determine how people respond to certain medications and using that to guide treatment decisions.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3290900/

Thank you for your stem cell donation. (Tried to rep you, but it's too soon ) My son had leukemia. Fortunately he never got to the point of needing a transplant, but if he had no one in the family would have matched. Those, who, like you, are willing to donate to save a stranger are true angels.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:03 PM

1,478 posts, read 788,657 times
Quote:
That's the thing about science and medicine, we are all Homo sapiens sapiens, with the same organs, but every person's body is different, if you know what I mean. Some drugs, natural or manufactured, work well for one person and not the next, I guess it would be a lot easier if we were all clones!
There is not really a, "if you know what I mean," about it because you are correct. Or so that is what I was taught in an anatomy and physiology course, that no two human beings are physiologically or anatomically the same.

Hence, the course and textbook taught, some individuals react differently to certain drugs or certain drugs in certain dosages than other individuals will. There is also a difference between the two sexes and certain drugs at certain dosages would be too much for members of the female sex to physiologically appropriately handle. I'm sure the Bruce Jenner was always, objectively, born a female crowd will hate to her that.

But due to physiological differences this is a reason why I don't out right dismiss every and all traditional remedies as being impossible to either cure or releave symptoms (the absence of symptoms does not mean a pathogen is not present in a person or some other disease or organ decline might not be progressing) in an individual. Some traditional remedies may work on most, some, or a few, or even a tiny fraction of the population that are statistical outliers.

I've used cod liver oil during Wisconsin winters, something my black grandmother from the Deep South used to give her kids all the time during the cold months in Wisconsin, and it works fantastic boosting my immune system. It seems to have the same positive effect on most people from what I hear. I know some white guy from Canada told me that was standard in his part of Canada to take every winter.

But I also find the total dismissal of modern medicine practice to be irrational. The practice of modern medicine is scientific based. Many centuries ago "medicine men" combined prayers and superstitious practices (e.g., drawing magic symbols on people) with herbal remedies to cure people of various ailments. Some people died and some people lived. When a person lived it seemed like doing the magic dance around the sick person to scare off demons or curses from Indian witches worked. But that may have been coincidental.

On the other hand, people of old had to find ways of helping and protecting their health when they had no doctors around. And they did by discovering over decades and centuries that x plant can be beneficial in helping getting over x sickness or symptom.

Quote:
I feel the individualized treatment and therapies are only going to get bigger and better, instead of just trying everything under the sun to see what works.
Treatments are more or less already individualized.

Medical doctors are like engineers. Both recieve--and most have passing grades through--lots of advanced science courses. But they are not scientists properly--excepted those that do obtain an additional doctoral degree in a natural science. But the rest are professionals properly, that apply the natural sciences to solve the problems in their area of expertise or practice.

So, medical doctors often have to try different drugs on a given patient and often have to adjust the dosages too. They rely on part by the symptoms the patient claims to have (e.g., depression) or does exhibit (e.g., runny nose and sneezing).

Something like "labs" or that is to say blood and urine samples run through medical laboratories by the laboratory scientists employed by hospitals are far more objective and "scientific" than reliance on symptoms. As one poster pointed out due to lab results carried out on their blood samples they and the medical doctor do not have to guess if they are low on vitamin D. The lab works will give an objective answer to that.

Concerning surgeries, organ transplants, and mechanical limb replacements I would say the modern medical field has made incredible strides since the 1800's alone. But even the common flu killed astronomical numbers of Americans alone back during the 1800's, so, I'm impressed with the health and medical fields. They are not perfect, some malpractice goes on, and the fields may still be lost on how to solve some health and medical problems, but compared to 100 let alone a 1,000 years ago it really has accomplished a lot.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:

Most upper respiratory infections are caused by viruses, and will clear up on their own in a few days. Yet about half of the 100 million prescriptions written for antibiotics each year are for respiratory ailments that aren’t going to be helped by a drug.

Prescribing an antibiotic for a viral infection is not only wasteful, it can hurt the patient. More than 140,000 people, many of them young children, land in the emergency room each year with a serious reaction to an antibiotic. Nearly 9,000 of those patients have to be hospitalized.

So why do doctors write the prescription? Most do it out of habit or to make their patients happy. A mother brings her sick child to the pediatrician and expects to walk out with a prescription. It takes time for the doctor to explain why antibiotics won’t do any good and might in fact do her child harm.
I have to say my personal experience, both as a patient and as a health care worker in a doctor's office, does not back up that statement. Also, I thought we were only supposed to be able to quote three sentences. I count nine in that post.

For some reason I can't get my computer to load this 4 1/2 year old story. Did the good "Time" reporter actually talk to any doctors? I find it insulting to the doctors for the reporter to imply that they prescribe antibiotics rather than talk to the parents about why ABs aren't necessary.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:32 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
If you don't go to doctors, you wouldn't know what they do. I worked in a pediatric office for 11years. Patients/parents did sometimes request antibiotics by phone and in person, but the docs didn't give them out for no reason and extremely rarely over the phone. So rare that I can recall about two times in those 11 years, and one of those times was during a blizzard.
I don't go to the doctor's often but I read and hear enough from other health groups and from MD's on the radio. I go to see my integrative MD once a year and I'm due to go in Nov 1. You are assuming a lot about me and what I know or don't know.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:40 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:

I've been hearing this for a long time. I even hear it from ladies in my bridge crowd who run for an abx when they have a cold. The MD gives them the drug.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:45 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Articles mean nothing to me unless I can verify them in my own mind. I might research an article on a particular sup/herb but I don't make a claim about it until I've tried it.
If science was always correct, I wouldn't be real. I should be a fictional character because a lot of things about me don't make sense. Sometimes I even confuse myself. For example, they say deja vu is fake but I have experienced it a lot. They also say gay-dar is a myth but I haven't been surprised by any celeb who's come out of the closet...even Ricky Martin who people considered a ladies man seemed "off" to me. There was something deep inside me that knew my ex bf was a jerk (though I didn't listen) and it was all from just the way his face looked. He didn't display any "jerk" tendencies when we were dating. In fact he acted nice. A few years later it was like a complete 360. Same thing with my job coach. She acted really nice to me and not overly fake nice..no good reason why I shouldn't trust her but like a year later she abandons me.
Endangering myself would be to blindly follow doctors or to assume that scientists always have the answer just because they have a degree.

Okay so I'm not up on my chemical terminology and I thought too fast for my fingers this time. When you type "novels" like I do sometimes you hit an error or two.
However this doesn't change a thing. It goes both ways. If you know that there is an article about the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide which is fake then how do you know that websites that tell you there are side effects to a supplement aren't fake? How do you know that doctors are always telling the truth?
Also the compound H20 is not even remotely close to the chemicals in prescription drugs. When I use the word "chemicals" I'm not taking it literally, I mean a substance that is not pure/synthetic.
Deja vu is not "fake". Who says it is?

There is psychology behind it.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...science-d-j-vu

How many times has your "gay-dar" made you think someone was gay who wasn't? Psychology again: we tend to remember when we were right better than we remember when we were wrong.

If you think people are nice then they are not, perhaps your ability to read them is not as good as you are trying to lead us to believe.

One of the issues with the OP is the blind faith in herbal products that have never been shown to do anything useful and for which quality control is dubious. With any herbal - no matter who makes it and how much it costs - there is no regulation that says the label has to accurately describe what is in the container.

Meanwhile, the expertise of people who have studied a subject for years is ditched in favor of the unproven "supp".

If you discuss chemicals and show us you do not understand basic chemistry, be prepared to be called out on it. Dihydrogen monoxide is the chemical name for water, dear. Plain old water. It is very real, not fake. The article is a parody, designed to show people who natter on about the dangers of chemicals how silly that is. Our entire bodies are nothing but chemicals. Every bodily process, every thought you have - it's all done with chemicals. Your Fiji water contains dihydrogen monoxide. H2O is not a compound, either. It is a molecule. Your not knowing the difference means you do not have even the most basic education in chemistry.

You may choose not to believe anything about supplements that does not fit your view of them. There is psychology behind that, too. It's called denial.

You do not get to invent your own definition for "chemicals". Sorry, words have meanings. If you do not use the accepted meaning you cannot communicate effectively. The word "chemicals" does not have any connotation of purity, a chemical can come from a hole in the ground or be synthesized, and, yes, water is just as much a chemical as anything in a prescription drug. A synthetic chemical can be just as pure as anything found in nature, though neither is going to ever be 100% pure.

The arsenic in your Fiji water is a chemical, too.

What Is a Chemical? (and What Isn't One)

"Question: What Is a Chemical?

Short answer: Everything is a chemical.

Long answer: A chemical is any substance consisting of matter. This includes any liquid, solid, or gas. A chemical is any pure substance or any mixture. It doesn't matter whether it occurs naturally or is made artificially
."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies