Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 08:58 AM

720 posts, read 501,165 times

Advertisements

I'm hesitant to wade into this topic because I know how emotional it is for some people. But I think it's important, given the recent allegations against Donald Trump and the allegations we've heard about Bills Cosby and Clinton, to have an honest conversation about this.

First things first, I don't want to seem like I'm diminishing sexual assault. So if my opinion seems a little lacking in compassion, just know I'm talking from a place of fairness and honesty, not to be dismissive.

I have two points I want to make:

1. We should believe women when they claim to have been sexually assaulted
2. The truth of the matter is we can't.

To my first point, I understand there have been many victims of sexual assault who didn't tell anyone and chose to suffer in relative silence over it. It's unfortunate because their assailants are never held accountable for it and are free to go out and victimize someone else.

For as much sympathy as I have for those people, we have to bear in mind that without proof that this happened, we can't persecute someone solely on the basis of principle and an accusation. Yes, sexual assault/rape is bad. That doesn't mean it's more important to fulfill that universal truth every time someone cries foul than actually ensuring it really happened.

Because the only thing worse than sexual assault is lying about it and causing trouble for an innocent person. But if we just jump to conclusions based solely on an accusation, it makes it easier for people to do just that.

There have been plenty of examples, including some high-profile cases, of women who lied about being raped, and I'm sure their allegations were just as believable as any other story. Unfortunately for the men who were accused, the pity party that gets rolled out when a woman makes an accusation trumps the low-key apology when it turns out the story was fabricated, i.e. Duke Lacrosse, UVA Rape/Rolling Stone article.

Also, there's a lack of perspective between men and women on this point that can't be ignored. Even though both sexes can be both perpetrators and victims of sexual assault, let's be honest, most women will never find themselves in the position of having to deny a sexual assault allegation by another full-grown adult. Most women don't have to worry about some guy they might have grinded against at a club fifteen years ago, or had a drunken hook-up with in college, coming back in their 50s, 60s, or 70s, claiming he was sexually assaulted by her and he didn't say anything because he was so traumatized.

So when people get all precious about accusers just being believed, I always have to roll my eyes a little bit. It's easy for people to get sanctimonious when there is not nor has there ever been any real social expectation that a woman be sexually forward.

So no matter how sympathetic you are, if you weren't there, you have to reserve judgment until a case is made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 09:14 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,227,783 times
The accused and accuser have equal right to be believed. The courts will determine the truth, not you or me or CNN. If the media did it's job (well, they do their job... I mean the job we think they have and should have), they'd inform us of the allegation and possibly give an interview of the accuser, and that's it. You'd never hear about it again unless Donald reacts or the courts make a decision. It's not news to rehash what was said a week ago.

Time frame and who is being accused is unfortunately relevant. The main accuser said it happened, what, a decade and a half ago? To tell you the truth, I haven't followed this controversy that closely because to me, this isn't even my business. It's between him, his accuser, and the courts. My opinion does not matter; plain and simple. But how does one prove that they were groped 15 years ago? At this point, it's one person's word against the others. And Trump is a high profile character. Regardless of the truth behind the claims, everyone taking sides on this issue is doing so in a way that is both entirely uninformed and based on political opinion exclusively.

Let the courts find the truth. The rest of you aren't qualified.

Also, Trump supporters who don't realize that you all got all up in Bill Clinton's **** for the same thing, but are now defending Trump. This is called being a hypocrite and it is one of the least attractive qualities in a person. And yes, Clinton supporters, same goes for you.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:30 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmil View Post
I'm hesitant to wade into this topic because I know how emotional it is for some people. But I think it's important, given the recent allegations against Donald Trump and the allegations we've heard about Bills Cosby and Clinton, to have an honest conversation about this.

First things first, I don't want to seem like I'm diminishing sexual assault. So if my opinion seems a little lacking in compassion, just know I'm talking from a place of fairness and honesty, not to be dismissive.

To my first point, I understand there have been many victims of sexual assault who didn't tell anyone and chose to suffer in relative silence over it. It's unfortunate because their assailants are never held accountable for it and are free to go out and victimize someone else.

For as much sympathy as I have for those people, we have to bear in mind that without proof that this happened, we can't persecute someone solely on the basis of principle and an accusation. Yes, sexual assault/rape is bad. That doesn't mean it's more important to fulfill that universal truth every time someone cries foul than actually ensuring it really happened.

Because the only thing worse than sexual assault is lying about it and causing trouble for an innocent person. But if we just jump to conclusions based solely on an accusation, it makes it easier for people to do just that.

There have been plenty of examples, including some high-profile cases, of women who lied about being raped, and I'm sure their allegations were just as believable as any other story. Unfortunately for the men who were accused, the pity party that gets rolled out when a woman makes an accusation trumps the low-key apology when it turns out the story was fabricated, i.e. Duke Lacrosse, UVA Rape/Rolling Stone article.

Also, there's a lack of perspective between men and women on this point that can't be ignored. Even though both sexes can be both perpetrators and victims of sexual assault, let's be honest, most women will never find themselves in the position of having to deny a sexual assault allegation by another full-grown adult. Most women don't have to worry about some guy they might have grinded against at a club fifteen years ago, or had a drunken hook-up with in college, coming back in their 50s, 60s, or 70s, claiming he was sexually assaulted by her and he didn't say anything because he was so traumatized.

So when people get all precious about accusers just being believed, I always have to roll my eyes a little bit. It's easy for people to get sanctimonious when there is not nor has there ever been any real social expectation that a woman be sexually forward.

So no matter how sympathetic you are, if you weren't there, you have to reserve judgment until a case is made.

That actually depends on the asscused running for Republican or Democrat. If the accused is a Republican candidate, the uncorrobrated accusation is just as true as gravity. If the candidate is running for Democrats, any accusation is just dirty politics and character assasination. If the accuser happens to have everything on 1080p HD video, they were just having rough sex.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:35 AM

4,095 posts, read 2,567,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Also, Trump supporters who don't realize that you all got all up in Bill Clinton's **** for the same thing, but are now defending Trump. This is called being a hypocrite and it is one of the least attractive qualities in a person. And yes, Clinton supporters, same goes for you.
Same thing can be said about Hillary supporters.

They are all in outrage over allegations against Trump, even though they run all the perverted/lewd industries in the country, AND they continue to cheer Bill Clinton on stage.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:37 AM

26,512 posts, read 15,088,692 times
I agree with Hillary.

"Every woman deserves to be heard and every woman deserves to be believed."*

*With the exception of the "bimbos" that "chase $100 bills through trailer parks" aka Bill's accusers. For example, Eileen Wellstone was a college student at prestigious Oxford University who came forward in the year 1969 and said Bill Clinton raped her...she is just a bimbo chasing $100 bills.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmil View Post

Well, your title says: should we believe sexually assaulted victim? A person isn't a victim unless the accused is found guilty. Of course in that case, yes, but if you are saying; should we believe everyone who makes an allegation against another: I have always believed a person is innocent until found guilty. Of course, there are times when the evidence is so clear I would believe the accuser, not all the time. I have a problem with anyone that comes forward years later. In that case there would have to be overwhelming proof.

And no I do not believe every women deserves to be believed. Too many times it turns out the so called victim makes up or exaggerates the story so badly, they have trouble remember even what they claimed happened.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post

They are all in outrage over allegations against Trump, even though they run all the perverted/lewd industries in the country, AND they continue to cheer Bill Clinton on stage.
You know what's funny about this. You clearly read the first sentence, got all angry, and started this rant. Had you been... I don't... an adult, you'd have noticed that last sentence which said the same thing you're saying here.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:45 AM

15,980 posts, read 7,039,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post

Huh????
Hillary, not Bill, is running for president and nobody has accused her of being sexual predator.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:51 AM

15,980 posts, read 7,039,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
The accused and accuser have equal right to be believed. The courts will determine the truth, not you or me or CNN. If the media did it's job (well, they do their job... I mean the job we think they have and should have), they'd inform us of the allegation and possibly give an interview of the accuser, and that's it. You'd never hear about it again unless Donald reacts or the courts make a decision. It's not news to rehash what was said a week ago.

Time frame and who is being accused is unfortunately relevant. The main accuser said it happened, what, a decade and a half ago? To tell you the truth, I haven't followed this controversy that closely because to me, this isn't even my business. It's between him, his accuser, and the courts. My opinion does not matter; plain and simple. But how does one prove that they were groped 15 years ago? At this point, it's one person's word against the others. And Trump is a high profile character. Regardless of the truth behind the claims, everyone taking sides on this issue is doing so in a way that is both entirely uninformed and based on political opinion exclusively.

Let the courts find the truth. The rest of you aren't qualified.

Bill Clinto in not running for President. Hillary is. And no has accused her of sexual assault and neither has she been recorded boating about it. Trump was caught on tape boasting about the various sexual assaults he commits. Then he said he didn't. Now the women - no one is filing any suit - who have been assaulted are saying yes, that is exactly how he assaults women, as he described.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Bill Clinto in not running for President. Hillary is. And no has accused her of sexual assault and neither has she been recorded boating about it. Trump was caught on tape boasting about the various sexual assaults he commits. Then he said he didn't. Now the women - no one is filing any suit - who have been assaulted are saying yes, that is exactly how he assaults women, as he described.
Clinton supporters can mean Bill or Hillary.

My point serves primarily to illustrate that the outrage is political, not moral. If you think this example isn't' fair since it can't be accurately applied to Hillary, fine. I'm not gonna fight that. But it is impossible to deny, though many still do, that most of the outrage directed at candidates under the guise of moral principle is entirely political. Democrats will call Bush out for the wars; Obama still sees drones dropping bombs on a routine basis. Republicans think Obama hates freedom but then finds it outrageous that Obama gave up sole US control over ICANN. Hypocrisy runs rampant across the aisle.

Another thing to add: yes, Bill Clinton is not running for president, but plenty of his supporter still hold that the accusations carry no weight. And really, just pointing out that he's not running dismantles the issue of morality. If the outrage at Trump was moral, then pointing out Bill's alleged wrong doings would not result in "well, he's not running." People care about these allegations only because of politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies