Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 11:29 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I'm saying that how much money anyone makes should not be a factor in the percentage of their income they pay in taxes.

If everyone paid the same percentage, then a person who makes 50k/year would still be paying double the amount of someone who makes 25k/year.

Does the person who makes 50k use double the government services as the person who makes 25k?

Not likely.... in fact it's probably the opposite.

It's not a difficult concept.

So you're saying that people at subsistence level - with no discretionary income - should pay the same tax rate as everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
And you think that people who make 50k don't live paycheck to paycheck?

Got news for you....most people don't have any more discretionary income when they make more money.

Additional expenses and the progressive " the more you make the more they take" tax system make certain of that.

??? ??? ??? ??? I make $15K per year. Why can't someone making $50K per year get beyond living paycheck to paycheck?

Old 10-13-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Depends on their situation. I make shy of 40k right now, I live in CT, and I have enough money to get by, but of course that comes with some sacrifices. I've made as much as 65K in my life, and things were much much better for me despite the fact that I was paying out significantly more in taxes.

I promise you, poor people don't strive to be poor lol.

I presume you are able to get by because you own your home. People who make half as much as you can't buy homes, so they must rent, which is more expensive than owning.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:38 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
So you're saying that people at subsistence level - with no discretionary income - should pay the same tax rate as everyone else.
DK about that poster. Speaking for myself, that you and Warren Buffet pay the same rate makes sense to me.

No income? No problem. Your benefits are reduced by the same percentage.

Everyone needs to have skin in the game.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:47 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,343,412 times
Quote:
I presume you are able to get by because you own your home. People who make half as much as you can't buy homes, so they must rent, which is more expensive than owning.
Nope.

I don't own, I rent. That and I have a roommate to split some of the household expenses with. 2 bedroom 2 bath.

Old 10-13-2016, 12:08 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,098,820 times
Quote:
Yes.

It is not and never has been the government's job to play Robin Hood.

It is not and never has been the government's job to tell anyone how much of their own money they "need".

If the government cannot adequately fund it's spending in this manner, then it needs to cut spending.

Old 10-13-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Yes.

It is not and never has been the government's job to play Robin Hood.

It is not and never has been the government's job to tell anyone how much of their own money they "need".

If the government cannot adequately fund it's spending in this manner, then it needs to cut spending.
So you would rather have the country go bankrupt, or further exacerbate inequality?

There's a pretty big difference between being "equal" and being "fair"!

Old 10-13-2016, 12:14 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,098,820 times
Quote:
??? ??? ??? ??? I make $15K per year. Why can't someone making $50K per year get beyond living paycheck to paycheck?
When you make more, you spend more and are taxed at a higher rate.

You are also not eligible for any government freebies.

You also tend to be older and therefore spend a larger amount of your income on medical care...and now that everyone's insurance sucks even more than it did thanks to Obamacare, that number is even higher.

Old 10-13-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
When you make more, you spend more and are taxed at a higher rate.

You are also not eligible for any government freebies.

You also tend to be older and therefore spend a larger amount of your income on medical care...and now that everyone's insurance sucks even more than it did thanks to Obamacare, that number is even higher.
Indeed, you do spend more. Do you HAVE to spend more?

Live within your means and stop spending so much. The second point about healthcare I can totally agree with though.

Old 10-13-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
DK about that poster. Speaking for myself, that you and Warren Buffet pay the same rate makes sense to me.

No income? No problem. Your benefits are reduced by the same percentage.

Everyone needs to have skin in the game.

I had a workplace where the total payroll was ~$500,000, the owner made a net of $3M and paid about ~$1M in taxes - obviously he was in the top tax bracket.

If he had given doubled every employee's wage, payroll would have been ~$1M, he would have made net about $2.5M, and he would have paid somewhat lower taxes.

IOW, total taxes were maximized because employees were underpaid.

Didn't the employees make a substantial tax contribution with their sweat, even if they were not rewarded commensurately?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies