Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 08:10 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,355,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Extremism is always bad, regardless of what side it falls on. I've always been a moderate, but I just can't get behind anything that the left has to offer, which unfortunately has pushed me to the far right. Trump is getting my vote.
This is actually one of my pet peeves, probably because so many people believe and repeat it. No, extremism isn't always bad, and being moderate isn't always the reasonable stance. I'll explain...

If you believe all rape is wrong, you're an extremist. If you believe all theft is wrong, you're an extremist. If you think we need to compromise, find the middle ground, and find the sensible amount of theft and rape to allow, you're a moderate. There are some areas that you should be an extremist...otherwise you have no principles at all.

I think people confuse being moderate with being unbiased. It's two different things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 08:22 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
. I have never been fond of polls. Have never come across anyone who says they were polled. Who are all these people who take calls from unknown callers and then disclose their party, religion, race, candidate and more to strangers?

Just check out the final polls and electoral college count on realclearpolitics.com the 1st Monday in November and you will start believing in polls. They will predict the winner, in the absence of a 2000 type race, and get at least 48 states correct.

This election is over, in the absence of a massive terror attack perpetrated by Syrian refugees.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:22 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Lots of things to regret. Number one was a do-nothing congress that refused to stand up to Obama and his antics. They gave him nearly everything he wanted. In 8 years only one of Oblubber's vetos was overridden. In 8 years, they only passed 12 bills that Blubber vetoed. Our establishment Repubs are no different than establishment Dems. They put far more effort into attacking Trump than they ever did Obama.
The Republican Congress stood up to Obama every second that he's been president.

The Republicans were unsuccessful in stopping him, but it wasn't for a lack of trying. They lost because he's smart and they're a bunch of idiot hothead reactionaries.

And guess what? The same way Republicans were abused by Clinton and Obama? Yeah....that's about to happen for another eight years. Because we can always be sure that Repubs will overreach, act a fool, and lose the argument.

You guys are hardheaded. You keep thinking that you're sucking wind because you're not conservative enough. But that ain't why. It's because your party is full of loons that sound deranged and they've taken the party off the rails. My goodness...Donald Trump is your party nominee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Do conservatives regret anything from the past eight years?

Yes!! I regret that the liberals have ruined this country over the last 8 years, and they want to finish it off by electing Hillary.
Another RadCon that just doesn't get it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
I don't believe that all of the claims on that list are accurate. I didn't claim that anything specifically was inaccurate. I just don't believe that they are all true.

What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
Lol...you're wasting your time with that crowd. They hate Obama so much that they're too deranged to listen to reason.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:23 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
This is actually one of my pet peeves, probably because so many people believe and repeat it. No, extremism isn't always bad, and being moderate isn't always the reasonable stance. I'll explain...

If you believe all rape is wrong, you're an extremist. If you believe all theft is wrong, you're an extremist. If you think we need to compromise, find the middle ground, and find the sensible amount of theft and rape to allow, you're a moderate. There are some areas that you should be an extremist...otherwise you have no principles at all.

I think people confuse being moderate with being unbiased. It's two different things.
Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:23 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Seriously. Trump is going to lose. Hillary is going to be POTUS.

The Republican Party and conservatives spent eight years vilifying Barack Obama, being completely obstructionist toward his policies, and saying over and over again how Obama was going to completely destroy the United States. He was supposedly going to take everyone's guns away, institute shariah law, and put people in FEMA death camps.

Eight years of that unhinged ranting lead to Trump becoming the GOP presidential nominee. You've basically handed Hillary Clinton the White House on a silver platter.

Has the Republican Party learned anything? Have conservatives taken note of how none of this worked against Obama and the Democrats? Or will it be eight more years of attempted obstructionism and trying to "impeach" Hillary over whatever perceived crimes Fox News and talk radio say she has perpetrated?
I disagree with you. Its not eight years of "unhinged rantings" against Obama that lead to Trump. Its decades of neglect, corruption and the ignoring of the problems of this country by the Establishment that lead to Trump. Even back in the 1990s, many people were looking for alternatives and voted for Ross Perot (including a young LINative) simply because the Establishment leadership at that time, notably George Bush I, were ignoring the problems of this country. George Bush I went from overwhelming popularity after winning the Gulf War to loosing the 1992 election against a political nobody called Bill Clinton.

We have seen pensions disappearing, jobs being sent overseas, massive trade deficits (367 billion last year with China alone), the cost of healthcare exploding, and the COL rising faster then salaries. And these Establishment types like Jeb Bush and Hillary Clinton really do not have any solutions, they are in fact part of the problem.

It really is a shame that Trump's personality turned out to be so clownish, he could have changed the Republican Party and united a large number of working and middle class Americans across racial, ethnic and religious lines into almost a movement. Instead he makes one mistake after another.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:24 AM

810 posts, read 667,681 times
Our country is more divided than ever and much of this falls squarely on the shoulders of Obama. He makes excuses for BLM violence when he's supposed to pay his respects to murdered police officers. He vilifies a school for reporting what appeared to be an obvious bomb and not a clock, invites him to the white house. Goes on humiliating apology tours around the world. Pisses off Isreal and Saudi Arabia. Infuriates non-liberals with his politically correct BS by refusing to mention or acknowledge Radical Islamic terrorism. Murder is up in Chicago and probably other places. Racial tensions are at an all time high. Our enemies don't fear us. Our friends don't trust us. The national debt nearly doubled under his presidency. We're on the verge of another world war with Russia.

Depressed to see it will continue another 4 years with the election of Hillary Clinton. If anybody other than a clown like Trump were opposing her maybe we'd have a Republican in the white house again. Who knows, maybe we'll all be blasted to hell. Obama sucks

Old 10-13-2016, 08:24 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:

Well you got me, I did say all extremism is bad. Sorry , I figured context would prevail on this one, and since we were talking politics I sort of assumed one would understand that is what I'm talking about.
Common sense isn't always so common I guess.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:26 AM

Quote:

Nonsense. It's not an extremist position to say that all rape is bad.

It's extremist to say that we should kill anyone accused of rape without trial or evidence beyond the initial accusation.

Huge difference.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:29 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,340,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Lol...you're wasting your time with that crowd. They hate Obama so much that they're too deranged to listen to reason.
Yeah, you're probably right. Not going to bother anymore.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
Our country is more divided than ever and much of this falls squarely on the shoulders of Obama. He makes excuses for BLM violence when he's supposed to pay his respects to murdered police officers. He vilifies a school for reporting what appeared to be an obvious bomb and not a clock, invites him to the white house. Goes on humiliating apology tours around the world. Pisses off Isreal and Saudi Arabia. Infuriates non-liberals with his politically correct BS by refusing to mention or acknowledge Radical Islamic terrorism. Murder is up in Chicago and probably other places. Racial tensions are at an all time high. Our enemies don't fear us. Our friends don't trust us. The national debt nearly doubled under his presidency. We're on the verge of another world war with Russia.

Depressed to see it will continue another 4 years with the election of Hillary Clinton. If anybody other than a clown like Trump were opposing her maybe we'd have a Republican in the white house again. Who knows, maybe we'll all be blasted to hell. Obama sucks
After you said "pisses off Israel and Saudi Arabia," I stopped reading. Waste of time.

In fact, I can't believe that I'm even responding to that tripe at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies