Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 08:00 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,769,360 times

Advertisements

I recently challenged a friend who expressed outrage that a woman was blackmailing his (crooked lawyer) friend by threatening to reveal the friend's misconduct to authorities.
I said, "So what? She isn't lying, is she?"
He answered "No. But it's BLACKMAIL and it's illegal!"

I answered, "Then she should just THREATEN him with blackmail, as that's NOT illegal!
So, why, in this case, is it illegal to threaten to do something legal (snitch).. but it is LEGAL to THREATEN to do something ILLEGAL (blackmail) ??

I am not concerned with extortion, which is a threat to do something illegal, like burn your house down.

Shouldn't blackmail be legal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 08:11 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,259,799 times
When you lay down with dogs you're gonna get fleas...

If the lawyer never did anything illegal or unprofessional she wouldn't be able to blackmail him.

It should be self explanatory why, in general, blackmail isn't encouraged. I don't really have much to add on this, but I would think that the guy has an option here. He could let her tell, which she is supposed to do, or bribe her not to. Pretty sure most of us would want people to come forward in a situation like this.

Prosecutors will offer lighter sentences to criminals in order to gain information for their cases - not exactly the same thing, I know.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:13 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,769,360 times
Lying is not encouraged either, but, except for official docs and under oath, it is not against the law.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:25 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,259,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
Lying is not encouraged either, but, except for official docs and under oath, it is not against the law.
And? As I said, I really don't have a lot to offer here. The lawyer messed up and she knows it would be worth his while to offer her incentive to keep quiet, hence, the blackmail. It is illegal, as far as I know. He could tell the D.A., but then he has to face the consequences of his actions as would she.

It's all relative, if he committed rape or murder it would be best to just pay her off, but she can always go the D.A. and snitch on him. Shoplifting, on the other hand isn't quite as serious.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:15 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,830,354 times
Quote:
I recently challenged a friend who expressed outrage that a woman was blackmailing his (crooked lawyer) friend by threatening to reveal the friend's misconduct to authorities.

I answered, "Then she should just THREATEN him with blackmail, as that's NOT illegal!
So, why, in this case, is it illegal to threaten to do something legal (snitch).. but it is LEGAL to THREATEN to do something ILLEGAL (blackmail) ??

I am not concerned with extortion, which is a threat to do something illegal, like burn your house down.

threatening to reveal someones illegal activities for personal gain is blackmail, and it is the personal gain part that is illegal. its like finding out that you committed a crime, pick one any one it doesnt matter, and then telling you that i will report your crime unless you pay me money, or other compensation, to not reveal your crime.

if i just went to the authorities and told them you committed a crime, that is not blackmail, even if i told you i would do it, as long as i didnt require payment from you.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:20 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:

Yes, blackmail should be legal if you believe we should allow profit or personal benefit from illegal activity to simply be shifted from one undeserving party to another. But in either case, a party actively sought to benefit from the misconduct while making no attempt to stop it, and that's why they're both contemptible in the eyes of the law.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:20 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,001,988 times
Ploma o plata?

http://feraljundi.com/1768/mexico-pl...ent-in-mexico/

Old 02-25-2013, 03:11 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,738,024 times
I think the sentence for blackmail should be automatically the same as for the crime or offense that is the object of the blackmail (if there is a crime or offense, that is). I guess that would discourage serious blackmail quite a bit.
Sometimes when I see movies or TV series where someone is blackmailing someone else, I don't know whom I hate more. The blackmailer or the person being blackmailed, the latter usually not because of the reason for the blackmail, but because of their weakness that feeds the blackmailer.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:18 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,229 times
Quote:

Yep. blackmail should definately be legal. No reason in the world it shouldn't.

Read Defending the Undefendable by Dr. Walter Block. He writes an entire chapter on why we would all be better off if blackmail were legal. And why blackmail is perfectly moral. They got it on Amazon. Fascinating book. Should be required reading of every high school kid in Amerika.

Seriously people, who would you rather deal with, a blackmailer or a gossip? I'll take a blackmailer anyday.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:20 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I think the sentence for blackmail should be automatically the same as for the crime or offense that is the object of the blackmail (if there is a crime or offense, that is). I guess that would discourage serious blackmail quite a bit.
Sometimes when I see movies or TV series where someone is blackmailing someone else, I don't know whom I hate more. The blackmailer or the person being blackmailed, the latter usually not because of the reason for the blackmail, but because of their weakness that feeds the blackmailer.
Blackmailing someone because they committed a crime should always be illegal.

Blackmailing somone because they committed adultery, things of that nature, should be legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies