Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 04:14 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,241,592 times

Advertisements

And people were saying around here not too long ago in several threads that the black vote is meaningless.

In Georgia, if the perfect storm happens in this election for Hillary...i.e. a huge black voter turnout, she would only need one in four white folks to take the state of Georgia. Obama didn't even try to take the state, and only lost it by five points in 2012.

That's because of all the new transplants to the Atlanta area. The numbers are astonishing. I knew a lot of people had moved there, but I didn't realize that it was enough to move the political needle in the state.

Can Clinton turn Georgia from red to blue? It's a matter of black and white - LA Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 04:33 AM

26,542 posts, read 15,111,244 times
The solid south is already broken up. Anyways the term initially applied to the South voting for Democrats.

Virginia, North Carolina, and Florida all have voted for Obama at least once.

I also would argue that it is more to do with white southerners becoming more diverse in their votes than more African Americans voting (in lock step).

The black vote is anything but meaningless...as they virtually all vote the same way. The GOP must find a way to win some of that share.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:54 AM

89,083 posts, read 44,906,239 times
Georgia and SC are interesting cases. Spent a significant amount of time there this past year helping my elderly Mom with some health issues. There are a lot of retirees from the rust belt, and they've seen how their children's and grandchildren's lives have been decimated via NAFTA, etc.

Michael Moore calls it in this clip, but it's not just the 4 states he mentions. It's their retired parents and grandparents of ALL races in Florida, etc., as well.

NSFW language:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKeYbEOSqYc

Old 10-26-2016, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr0polis View Post
why would i care about what michael moore thinks and whats the difference between him and karl rove on the right saying clinton has already won.
It doesn't matter what Michael Moore thinks. He's just one person. What matters is that so many voters are thinking the same way. And so are their retired parents and grandparents in the Southern states of NC, SC, GA, and FL after watching firsthand the decimation of their children's and grandchildren's middle class families.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:09 AM

1,649 posts, read 1,009,751 times
Quote:
you see that more and more with demographics.

the southern white male vote will be over 70 percent trump.

the asian vote will go 75-25, maybe 80-20 clinton, same with latinos.

the problem with the gop is minority groups are increasing while white groups are shrinking.

hillary could win easily by ignoring white males

the gop was warned about that in the report they commissioned after the 2012. pursue the minority vote or become a meaningless party.

i tell you now kasich would have got 20-25 percent of the black vote.
This is what happens when you alienate almost every demographic.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:37 AM

Quote:
the problem with the gop is minority groups are increasing while white groups are shrinking.
Interesting that you take the minority vote for granted. The FACT is that since our country's demographics have been changing, that means the middle class is increasingly comprised of minorities.

And that's the very class that's been decimated by the existing establishment. See the Michael Moore clip I posted. Now, guess how many minorities work in the rust belt and even the South Chicago Ford plants MM talks about.

NAFTA is crushing their lives, and they know it. Trump is the only candidate sticking up for them.

Last edited by InformedConsent; 10-26-2016 at 06:17 AM.. Reason: Autocorrect switched words

Old 10-26-2016, 05:38 AM

5,286 posts, read 6,223,341 times
Quote:
i tell you now kasich would have got 20-25 percent of the black vote.

In 04- Bush only had to pull 16% AA vote in Ohio alone to pull off the win.

In many ways I think the black vote has become less important in the South because we have seen so many Northerners move to the Southern metro and coastal areas. So its given Rs a separate route to grow their base without engaging black communities. I think 2012 was the election where that stragey bit them in the ass. The whole 'skewed' polls argument was based on the belief that minorities would never show up to vote proportionately (much less in higher rates than whites) for two straight elections.

This year is all about Trumping pissing on the Hispanic vote. That is the only reason Arizona is competitive and has given Clinton a lifeline in Nevada where Harry Reid was the last D to win a big race other than Obama. In Florida it will be Puerto Rican-American turnout (and Cuban-American ambivalence) that swings the vote if Clinton wins there.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:41 AM

45,249 posts, read 26,488,601 times
This just in; minorities in GA like free stuff or promises thereof.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:09 AM

25 posts, read 34,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
This just in; minorities in GA like free stuff or promises thereof.
All it took was for one ignorant comment when there was actual intelligent conversation happening...

Old 10-26-2016, 06:11 AM

73,075 posts, read 62,694,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
The solid south is already broken up. Anyways the term initially applied to the South voting for Democrats.

Virginia, North Carolina, and Florida all have voted for Obama at least once.

I also would argue that it is more to do with white southerners becoming more diverse in their votes than more African Americans voting (in lock step).

The black vote is anything but meaningless...as they virtually all vote the same way. The GOP must find a way to win some of that share.
It is far from meaningless, as Blacks vote in as high of numbers as Whites do. They aren't the only factor. They are a huge factor. There is something more to consider.

NC went Democrat because of cities like Charlotte, Raleigh, Chapel Hill, and Durham. So many college students. So many people from out of state. And there is more. While there are many young Republicans(ages 18-30), that is slowly dwindling. More and more young Whites are voting Democrat. The Hispanic population is increasing too. While a large part of it is foreign-born, there are many Hispanics moving to NC and GA from other states. Many Asians moving to the South as well.

Blacks are a huge factor, and the biggest factor. They are not the only factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies