Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2016, 11:17 AM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
As noted earlier the courts generally look after the best interests of the child first. Maybe this isn't completely fair but its also not fair for society to have to pay. A bit of a conundrum.
Which is why men should require DNA paternity test before singing the birth certificate.

Once father/child relationship is established. There is no turning back.

I don't think it is fair for the men to pay for the children who are not biologically theirs, especially after finding out they have been played and fooled. But it is what it is.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:18 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
[quote=2mares;45967005]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Do we know it was betrayal? He said he believed the child to be his. He asked the mother to marry him after the baby was born. Did she lead him to believe it was his, did she know it was not? Why did he not have a paternity test before he signed the birth certificate acknowledging he was the father. Why did he wait 11 years to get a DNA test.

So betrayal or clerical error is what determines if you love your child enough to want it to have financial support.

First of I'm talking in a general sense and not of the specific case. The specific cases brought up on threads like this are often not good starting points for a general conversation so I often ignore them. They usually contain too many exceptions to be useful. Secondly your questions are irrelevant. He had a DNA test and discovered the child was not his. All LEGAL obligation to support the child should end at that point.

As to your statement about clerical errors vs betrayal that is just histrionics. You are talking wants when the topic is obviously legal obligations. I think everyone in the thread has acknowledged the cuckolded husband should have the right to choose to continue to be a father if he wants to, in the physical and the economic sense. The cuckolded father, the children and in some cases even the bio father should come before the mother when it comes to choices under these circumstances, in fact. She should be the last person considered.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:18 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
If the courts can decide that he isn't the "father" based on eliminating his visitation rights, he shouldn't be the sugar daddy either.
We dont know the courts eliminated his visitation rights.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:20 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Which is why men should require DNA paternity test before singing the birth certificate.

Once father/child relationship is established. There is no turning back.

I don't think it is fair for the men to pay for the children who are not biologically theirs, especially after finding out they have been played and fooled. But it is what it is.

Which is why DNA tests should be required at birth period, not just at the insistence of the father. A husband is risking a good marriage by asking for a DNA test on his own, and may be creating a custody issue where none would exist otherwise. An undue burden when the motive is simply safeguarding one's rights.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:22 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Oh you think that's bad. I heard of a case where after the divorce she decided to shack up with the biological father while the poor sap still legally had to pay. Of course I would never comply myself.....

Old 10-27-2016, 11:22 AM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Which is why DNA tests should be required at birth period, not just at the insistence of the father. A husband is risking a good marriage by asking for a DNA test on his own, and may be creating a custody issue where none would exist otherwise. An undue burden when the motive is simply safeguarding one's rights.
I agree.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:24 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
As noted earlier the courts generally look after the best interests of the child first. Maybe this isn't completely fair but its also not fair for society to have to pay. A bit of a conundrum.

Society is set up for this in the form of welfare for single mothers, if it is needed. If mom cannot support her child there is assistance. That is legal and more fair than forcing one person based on fraud to pay a significant amount monthly for an unrelated child.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:25 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
[quote=Uncle Bully;45967306]

Quote:
First of I'm talking in a general sense and not of the specific case. The specific cases brought up on threads like this are often not good starting points for a general conversation so I often ignore them. They usually contain too many exceptions to be useful. Secondly your questions are irrelevant. He had a DNA test and discovered the child was not his. All LEGAL obligation to support the child should end at that point.
It is common knowledge that when one signs a birth certificate one legally acknowledges paternity to that child. He had a DNA test 11 years after he acknowledged paternity. He should have done it before he signed the BC. Its like any other contract or warranty, you sign the dotted line agreeing to the terms which are legally binding.

Quote:
As to your statement about clerical errors vs betrayal that is just histrionics. You are talking wants when the topic is obviously legal obligations. I think everyone in the thread has acknowledged the cuckolded husband should have the right to choose to continue to be a father if he wants to, in the physical and the economic sense. The cuckolded father, the children and in some cases even the bio father should come before the mother when it comes to choices under these circumstances, in fact. She should be the last person considered.
You were the one saying its a different situation if it is betrayal (not being aware of the circumstances) or a clerical error.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:29 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:

Insurance companies would refuse to cover this.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:31 AM

736 posts, read 353,685 times
Quote:
I will ask for a DNA test each and ever time. If she doesn't like that well too bad. I am not signing no birth certificate until I am 100 percent certain I am the father. Call me paranoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies