Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2016, 10:41 AM

51,648 posts, read 25,800,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I realize a lot has changed over 40 years. All of what you listed can be said about societies of any other race. Western countries, which have been mostly white, have led the world in evolving towards supporting women's rights.
I don't know about other societies forty, fifty years ago. I wrote about what happened in the society I grew up in.

Women, not western countries, have let the world in supporting women's rights. Much of it has been in the face of significant opposition from men. In our society, white men.

Don't recall black men or Hispanic men standing in opposition to women's rights in the U.S.

Quote:
Would you want your daughters to live in a societies in the Middle East, Africa, or Latin America?
No, of course not.

What an odd question.

Quote:
I'm not condoning how things were for women 50 years ago in the US.
Good to know.

Quote:
But this is a world wide issue and you making this about WHITE men, instead of men, is racist.
It is indeed a world wide issue, but my experience has been about white men in the U.S. and their efforts to keep women in their place.

I don't recall black men getting a pass on assaulting women.

The Women's Rights movement improved the lives of female people just as the Civil Rights movement improved the lives of black people.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 11-07-2016 at 10:52 AM..

Old 11-07-2016, 10:42 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,441,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
Off topic - this thread is about trump's lies.
Tell that to the Lefties derailing the thread about taxes. I don't think you will though.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:42 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,119,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm a 70 year old white female and when I heard that speech and heard "we" and "our" I felt that he was talking to all of us. It's odd that you heard it through a filter that caused you to think he was issuing a 'war cry to black people'
The perception of some is rather mind-blowing. I'm also a white female and have never heard anything divisive in Obama's speeches, in fact, on the contrary, but then again, I am not a paranoid conspiracy theorist so there's that.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:43 AM

42,840 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I should be fair(er) than just singling Reid out for obstructionism, shouldn't I. The rest of the obstructionist Democrats should also shoulder the blame for blocking progress over the years. 10 Times Democrats Vowed To Block Republican Nominees
Are we 'fair and balanced now'?
Tell me the last time Democrats refused to hold hearings for a Supreme Court justice nominee....I'll be right here waiting

Old 11-07-2016, 10:45 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,659,971 times
Quote:
I should be fair(er) than just singling Reid out for obstructionism, shouldn't I. The rest of the obstructionist Democrats should also shoulder the blame for blocking progress over the years.

10 Times Democrats Vowed To Block Republican Nominees

It's pretty standard in the senate to not agree with many of the opposing side's Judicial nominees for ideological reasons. It's been done by both sides since the founding of the republic. I don't think there has ever been a judicial nominee that wasn't contested by some senators. That's why the normal process of confirmation only required a senate majority for confirmation, albeit, currently, the process calls for a 60 vote plurality.
What is different this time is that the republican senate leadership has declared that they will not allow any Judicial nominee proposed by H. Clinton to even be brought to the floor for consideration now or in the future. And that's not even knowing who that nominee would be. It's unprecedented in American governance.

Last edited by mohawkx; 11-07-2016 at 11:05 AM..

Old 11-07-2016, 10:51 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,119,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
It's pretty standard in the senate to not agree with many of the opposing side's Judicial nominees for ideological reasons. It's been done by both sides since the founding of the republic. I don't think there has ever been a judicial nominee that wasn't contested by some senators. That's why the normal process of confirmation only required a senate majority for confirmation, albeit, currently, the process calls for a 60 vote plurality.
What is different this time is that the republican senate leadership has declared that they will not allow any Judicial nominee proposed by H. Clinton to even be brought to the floor for consideration now or in the future. And that's not even knowing who that nominee would be. It's unprecedented in American
It was also unprecedented when the right wing conspired to obstruct and sabotage Obama's entire presidency even before his first inauguration. The GOP is reaping what they have sown by allowing the fringe groups to infiltrate the party in order to garner votes. It will be quite awhile before a Republican will be elected POTUS...thankfully.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:53 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,702,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
A good example is this nonsense of refusing to vet a new Supreme Court Justice. Republicans are already announcing that not only are they not going to vet the current nominee, if Clinton wins, they are not going to vet any of her nominees for the next four or eight years, how ever long it takes.. This is not how sane people govern.
It is, specifically, burning a bridge. By this action, the Republicans have taken the absolute final step into the abyss, and now can no longer be trusted to act honorably in administration of the nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
The one sentence everyone has danced around:
Written like someone who has no idea what s/he's talking about. That sentence is pulled from the warrant. If Comey said anything broader than that, he'd have implicitly admitted to going beyond his granted authority. That sentence was worded very carefully to communicate that he did not commit a violation of the Hatch Act (this time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
Methinks the investigation is still ongoing.
Then you have absolutely no idea how jurisprudence works in the United States. The Clinton emails investigation is over. There are no more open warrants. Any investigation taking place beyond the bounds of evidence that has already been reviewed and determined to be devoid of evidence of intent is a violation of the law.

Quote:
I haven't heard much on policy from Hillary at all.
Which just underscores that you haven't been paying attention. Her speech yesterday afternoon was especially important for everyone who will be citizen of the nation she presides over to hear.

Quote:
Your comments won't be fair and balanced until you admit that the Democrats never refused to give a POTUS' pick for SCOTUS a hearing.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:59 AM

3,770 posts, read 6,741,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I don't know about other societies forty, fifty years ago. I wrote about what happened in the society I grew up in.

Women, not western countries, have let the world in supporting women's rights. Much of it has been in the face of significant opposition from men. In our society, white men.

Don't recall black men or Hispanic men standing in opposition to women's rights in the U.S.

No, of course not.

What an odd question.

Good to know.

It is indeed a world wide issue, but my experience has been about white men in the U.S. and their efforts to keep women in their place.

I don't recall black men getting a pass on assaulting women.

The Women's Rights movement improved the lives of female people just as the Civil Rights movement improved the lives of black people.
What I wrote was for seeing the big picture. If you look at America 40 years ago, (I don't want to look up the number), but say it was 80% white. That is a circumstance of the time, not a cause of sexism.

Sexism was part of every culture 40 years ago and today in most non white majority countries it is still a major issue, even more that it was in the US 40 years ago. I'm only pointing out that it's not a race issue.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:02 AM

42,840 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
quoted from a comment on the article cited:
"it took 2 years to go through 30,000 emails and one week to go through 650,000. smells like a cover up."
heartily agree. DC is corrupt to the core.
Well here's what Edward Snowden said about it on twitter:

Drop non-responsive To:/CC:/BCC:, hash both sets, then subtract those that match. Old laptops could do it in minutes-to-hours. 5:19 PM - 6 Nov 2016

Old 11-07-2016, 11:11 AM

3,770 posts, read 6,741,354 times
I already know enough about Hilary's corruption, being fed debate questions, being asked what questions to give other candidates, taking donations from Saudi Arabia and Morocco, and being funded by Wall Street. The fact that she gets away with things that others would be in prison for, doesn't make her more appealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies