Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 09:14 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
I'd like to know that too! The only comments have seen from libs on this thread as is critizing other people's posts!
That's all they've got.

It's really pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 10:09 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperOscar View Post
I don't speak for everyone, but I can say I am very much outraged at those causing destruction and distracting from the message the protesters are trying to show. I am all in favor of the peaceful protesters, I just wish others would also know the difference between those that protest peacefully and those that wish to destroy property for the sake of it.
I support the right of peaceful protest. But these protests really do bother me, and not only because of the associated violence. I find it disturbing that they are protesting the mere fact that Trump won, as if fairly winning an election is a cause for protest. One of the things that has made this country great is our willingness to accept the results of an election (whether we agree with it or not) and have a peaceful, orderly transition of power. These protesters are undermining that.

Old 11-15-2016, 11:02 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
As a liberal, I am very confused by the logic of these protesters.

Throughout America, the people chose Trump.

And aren't they supposed to be all about the power of the people?

Why protest his victory? He won, fair and square.

If you're going to protest, protest his plans or actions. For example, if you worry about him filling up Supreme Court with people who would overturn Roe v Wade, protest about that. If you're concerned that he's not calling out the emboldened racists who are committing hate crimes in his name, then protest about that. (Though he actually recently did call them out)

Or, if you want to protest the electoral college voting system itself, by all means do so. But do it with the intention of changing the entire process for all future presidential elections going forward. Don't do it just to oust one president-elect, who was elected due to the current rules of the game. What kind of third world style BS is that?

These protesters need to be honest with themselves when they ask, "Am I really fighting for the American people?"

Old 11-15-2016, 11:40 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
One of Portland's greats, talk show host Clyde Lewis (http://www.groundzeromedia.org/), said yesterday evening that the protesters are protesting things that they fear *might* happen.

Think about that. They are protesting about things that have not or will not happen.
Expending all this energy on nothing.

Yeah, we understand that Trump won and Bernie didn't.
How long and how much destruction does it take to get that message across?

BTW, for a lot of these people, Hillary was never really in the picture.
Portland was a HUGE Bernie Sanders town.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 11-15-2016 at 12:52 PM..

Old 11-15-2016, 12:07 PM

979 posts, read 490,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I support the right of peaceful protest. But these protests really do bother me, and not only because of the associated violence. I find it disturbing that they are protesting the mere fact that Trump won, as if fairly winning an election is a cause for protest. One of the things that has made this country great is our willingness to accept the results of an election (whether we agree with it or not) and have a peaceful, orderly transition of power. These protesters are undermining that.
Actually I think they have a valid reason to protest, Hillary did win the popular vote, yet lost the electoral vote, makes you wonder if the electoral college needs to be changed to better represent the population. Why should a midwest state with a small population have a stronger power than people in a high populated state.

California has an electoral vote for every 705K people, yet Wyoming has an electoral vote for 182K. That isn't even remotely balanced or even close to properly representing this country. Even the House is a poor representation of this country when representatives in more populated states have more people they represent than those in small populated states.

So that reason alone is a great reason to protest.

Old 11-15-2016, 04:04 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Actually I think they have a valid reason to protest, Hillary did win the popular vote, yet lost the electoral vote, makes you wonder if the electoral college needs to be changed to better represent the population. Why should a midwest state with a small population have a stronger power than people in a high populated state.

California has an electoral vote for every 705K people, yet Wyoming has an electoral vote for 182K. That isn't even remotely balanced or even close to properly representing this country. Even the House is a poor representation of this country when representatives in more populated states have more people they represent than those in small populated states.

Is it so hard to understand that it's meant to BALANCE the power/voice to elect someone that's supposed to represent ALL of the people and not just those from heavier populated states?
It must be...
To restate what has been already said, should the team that gets the most runs over the 7 games of the world series be the winner or the team that won the most games?
Understand it now?

Old 11-15-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Is it so hard to understand that it's meant to BALANCE the power/voice to elect someone that's supposed to represent ALL of the people and not just those from heavier populated states?
It must be...
To restate what has been already said, should the team that gets the most runs over the 7 games of the world series be the winner or the team that won the most games?
Understand it now?
But that brings up the question, what is the balance? Having an electoral vote in one state represent 700K people while in another state represent 180K, that seems like it is off balanced and giving more power and voice to the one that represents the least amount of voters.

The World Series thing doesn't work, it would be more like giving more weight to each run depending on where they come from. This batter is from a rural town and scored a run, so his counts as 3 runs, but the batter from a big city scores a run and his run is only work 1 run. Sure, there might be more runners from big cities on the team, but that doesn't mean the rural batter's score is worth more.

Old 11-15-2016, 04:36 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Hope the protestors-rioters cost the city multi-millions. There won't be any Federal assistance coming either.

Old 11-15-2016, 04:38 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:

It makes me wonder how you plan on succeeding in life with such a lack of understanding of civics. Like dude......

Old 11-15-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
It makes me wonder how you plan on succeeding in life with such a lack of understanding of civics. Like dude......
Thanks for worrying about my well being I guess, but I am financially fine. I own a few apartment buildings that keep me busy and help a friend run his contracting business, so I wouldn't worry too much about me. But that doesn't change my question. In what world does it make sense to have such a lopsided representation in this country? I get it, when your side wins, you love it, but when your side loses, I am sure you want to get rid of the electoral college too. Though I couldn't careless about who wins or loses, I am more concerned about the lopsided representation because that doesn't seem like it is equally representing Americans.

And just so you know, plenty of people say "dude." Take my lawyer, he uses that word often, but then again, that might just be a west coast thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies