Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2016, 07:53 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post

While I agree Rosie has no place tweeting about this, I don't get why questioning whether someone is autistic is attacking or insulting or taunting.
I think because she knows that there are so many people who would consider it be an elephant in the room. Her comment immediately prompts insults, taunts and speculation and she knows it. I think that was her intention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

She did not make a diagnosis. She posed a simple question.

That same question has been posed hundreds- thousands of times on social media and the internet going back to the convention.

She may be the first " celebrity " to ask about the possible elephant in the room.
Personally speaking as the relative and an advocate of a couple of truly wonderful, gifted autistic people I find it extremely insulting and ignorant for anyone to be referring to any autistic person as an elephant in the room.

WHY is autism an elephant in the room? What makes it so? If Barron is autistic what makes him or his condition an elephant in the room with regard to his father's position? How does it impact his father as president?

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
[/b]
I saw that, too, and thought it 'odd'.
Here's a link to the photo with Barron sitting on the stuffed lion. This has to be several years old because Barron looks much younger than now. He looks 5 or 6 years old in this photo.

Trump's hair isn't orange or yellow or white so you can tell his hair is not current. Melania also looks different. This photo was before she discovered excessive orange/bronze cheek sculpting makeup.

Trump Family Photograph : snopes.com

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Exactly. I am currently studying to be a Licensed Clinical Counselor. Previous to that, I was a psych RN and I worked in adoption.

Barron Trump is someone who I would refer for evaluation. He may be on the autism spectrum. He may be developmentally delayed, or clinically depressed. He has a flat affect, never smiles or laughs, and something appears to be "off".

I saw a rather freaky family picture recently taken in the Trump's NYC apartment. Aside from the gauche gold infused decor, and the fact that the three family members were not sitting anywhere near each other, something strange caught my eye -

Ten year old Barron Trump sitting atop a stuffed lion.

I don't think most ten year olds play with stuffed animals. Or would want to be seen with one
Oh, for God's sake. I taught middle school. There are 10 -12 year-olds who have not a single thing wrong with them that still play with stuffed animals. There are perfectly normal 10+ year-old kids that would sit on a big huge stuffed animal to take a picture. What's next, we going to tear him apart over his clothes or hairdo? He has grown up in a bubble of obnoxious wealth and privledge, he is not going to be like a typical kid his age regardless. But, just FYI, that picture was taken in 2010.

I got ticked off when anyone attacked Amy Carter during her father's presidency, Chelsea Clinton during her father's presidency, and the Obama girls during their father's presidency. I don't care who their political parent is, if they are minor children they should be off limits unless they do something that would also have gotten Mary the Accountant's kid splashed across the news. The Trump kid is no different. Take pictures of him if his parents bring him to an offical event but otherwise leave him alone.

Sorry Bush girls, while I think you should have been given some leeway, the bar was lower because you were adults.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-22-2016 at 08:03 PM..

8,840 posts, read 4,802,296 times
Quote:
Because it's not your (or my) business. If his parents want to share this with America, great. If not, why push it? Let them do it on their terms.
You're not getting my point. Is it an insult to say that someone is autistic?

There were earlier posts that seemed to imply he couldn't be autistic because he's good-looking. Huh?

Old 11-22-2016, 07:54 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Not cool. A very cruel taunt that was completely uncalled for. Politicians' innocent children should be untouchable and not mentioned, totally off limits.

Whether or not Barron is autistic is none of hers or anyone elses' business. It isn't the place of Rosie to bring him up to public attention and she should not think of Barron or his dad's political position as an opportunity to bring attention to an autism epidemic.

Social media has been asking the question since August. Trump, no doubt, is fully aware of the tweets and YouTube videos. People are curious about the First Elect family.

If the kid is on the spectrum it will be increasingly challenging for the first family to hide. Attempting to do so says more about his parents than him and will fuel speculation.

On the other hand, he may be just a lonely kid who has lived life in a bubble.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:56 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,504,010 times
For those confused about why this is offensive, one big reason is that Rosie and Trump have a history of animosity, so her actions here are used to undercut Trump and his family by default.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:59 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,274 times
...and don't forget, this poor boy has been subjected to the donnie show for 24/7/365 X 10...I'd 'zone out', too! Hope he is not on the spectrum. It is difficult for them. I love all my students on the spectrum, even the most challenging ones! One of my students moved away over the summer and I miss him so much. None of the others compare...and he was a handful! Whether Barron is on the spectrum or not, clearly Melanja is a devoted mother to him. That's good enough for me.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:00 PM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
While I agree Rosie has no place tweeting about this, I don't get why questioning whether someone is autistic is attacking or insulting or taunting.
It's not, it is inappropriate for anyone other than the parents or the child to publicize or otherwise create focus on something in a child that differentiates them from other kids. It is not anyone else's place to determine how the family will address it.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:09 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4lynn View Post
Wow. None of our business if he is or he isn't, and not for us to speculate. Since his parents haven't disclosed any information on this subject, it's certainly none of Rosie O'Donnell's business and totally improper of her to make such an announcement. Sure, she dislikes Trump, but there is no excuse for her doing this to his 10 year old son. Shame on her.
She did not announce anything.

She echoed a question that's been all over social media since August.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:09 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisetheworld View Post
I haven't seen anyone here disrespecting the Obama girls but you have to admit....this pic is a little creepy......
You obviously haven't seen and pictures of Trump with Ivanka prepubescent...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.