Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 05:24 PM

6,475 posts, read 4,076,574 times

Advertisements

I am not a liberal per say but I lean left. They area I live in 77494 her is the demographics. This is the wealthiest and the third (out of 4 zip codes) whitest part of my suburb so when you here it looks like a whole lot less white people since most of the surrounding burbs are closer to 50% white or a lot less than.
60% White
6% Black- I am Black BTW.
13% Asian
18% Hispanic
3% Other and mixed (mostly mixed).
This was taken in 2010 back when 30% or so of the area was farms which tend to be heavily white I would expect by the 2020 Census this area will be 45%-55% White.

The suburb as a whole (Katy-77494,77449,77450,77493(Includes parts of other zips but those areas are minority majority and wouldn't matter that much about 1/6 of the population) is...
49% White (45% if you add in the remaining 1/6th of the suburb)
10% Black
9% Asian
30% Hispanic (33% when the other 1/6th is added in)
2% Mixed or Other (again mostly mixed)

My suburb though is split about 50/50 conservative to liberal mostly because a high percent of Hispanics here vote conservative and same with the other races than nationally. My specific neighborhood though is heavily republican about 60% Republican 30% Democrat and 10% can swing either direction depending on the candidate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 07:51 PM

610 posts, read 533,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Why do liberals who are most vocal supporters of "diversity" live in non-diverse areas?

But they don't. For reasons that others have pointed out, neighborhoods in high cost cities tend to be more segregated by race. It's more of an economic than racial issue.

Liberals, however, tend to live in cities. This promotes all sorts of interactions among residents even if actual housing (and frequently churches but not so much schools) are divided by race. This is HUGE. Small daily kindnesses and interchanges at work, in hospitals, on public transportation, in stores, or even with random strangers go a long way to cross barriers. Hence the tolerance and even desire for "multiculturalism."

I have a couple of extremely conservative friends who live in the very conservative exhurbs of southern states. All white. Going there is like being in "Disney World." Most of the housing stock and commercial development is brand new and looks beautiful. But it doesn't feel real, in large part because of the lack of diversity. Same thing for rural areas. I grew up in a small rural town. All white.
But your post proves the point. This isn't 1950 anymore--the entire nation is more diverse and all of us interact with people of different color, ethnicity, etc every day at the places you mention. But, as you say, neighborhoods and schools are not so integrated. That's the whole point! For example, all the virtuous white "liberals" of Manhattan send their kids to expensive private schools, the fact that they see a person of another race in a store is meaningless.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:58 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Portland, Seattle, Denver, etc. These are the WASP (minus the P) capitals of the world. And if there is a diverse area of town, the liberals usually live on the opposite end of town, in expensive neighborhoods, and they say they want affordable housing only if it is built somewhere that doesn't wreck their own house value.
Speak for yourself, I am white, fiance is Paraguayan, and we live in a majority Mexican neighborhood

Old 11-23-2016, 10:59 PM

163 posts, read 130,174 times
I've lived in diverse neighborhoods inminority majority cities my whole life and man. I've been attending black family reunions and bbqs my whole life, and 4 quincenerias. Half my family is Native American. I am so sick of these white folks originally from some all white, everybody is related hick town, or all white rich suburb and there obsession with diversity, and thinking they are experts in the subject cause they took a class about it at school and talk to the black people that make there coffee at Starbucks. It's just really annoying. I want to live in a safe clean place with amenities nearby. I do not care what color my neighbors or the people at the store I see are. I don't give a damn about diversity, anywhere, and if you grew up in a truly diverse neighborhood and schools and church like I did and came from a diverse family you wouldn't give a damn either. In fact I am tired of living in diverse places. I sure as hell never want to be forced to live in a black neighborhood again unless it's a rich black neighborhood. Matter of fact I don't want to live around poor people period, and I'm poor my damn self and live in the hood, well till I get gentrified out of her again. Damn yuppies.

Man, white liberals are so annoying. They really think they are experts on everything they know nothing about.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:52 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
I live in Houston,
it doesn't get much more diverse than Houston

I always wonder why "small government/let the market decide" republicans" only live in areas with strict zoning laws.

Old 11-24-2016, 12:49 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,343,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert137 View Post
But your post proves the point. This isn't 1950 anymore--the entire nation is more diverse and all of us interact with people of different color, ethnicity, etc every day at the places you mention. But, as you say, neighborhoods and schools are not so integrated. That's the whole point! For example, all the virtuous white "liberals" of Manhattan send their kids to expensive private schools, the fact that they see a person of another race in a store is meaningless.
We'll have to disagree here. There is a big difference between "token" diversity and the kind of diversity where whites are not the majority - which is significant for many in how they view possible future US demographic changes.

Sure the exurbs may be located within counties where non-white populations may now reach about 20 to 30 percent or so. Because that *is* a change from 50 years ago most of my friends/relatives living in them think they live in a "diverse" area.

But outside cities, housing/school/shopping racial patterns can extend not only to neighborhoods but to whole sections of a county and even a state creating a sense of segregation not found in most cities. Relatively affluent and largely white retiree communities in places like the Carolinas live very separately from the rural areas they moved into. The same is true for newly constructed far-out suburbs. I'm not saying this is due to "racism." Not at all. Rather there are again economic disparities among races that can be even harder to overcome than in cities in part due to factors like lack of public transportation.

Many rural areas have not seen the demographic changes found even in exurbs; the county I grew up in remains 97 percent white. There aren't enough economic opportunities in these areas to pull in non-whites.

In contrast, our close-in suburbanized county has a non-white population about 50 percent. Here, a matter of a few blocks not miles can separate "homogenized" neighborhoods. This can make a world of difference in all sorts of community interactions. Sure those patterns may differ from what they'd be if folks were close neighbors. No argument there. But they still matter. I'm white but my DD is not. Seeing persons of various races even in stores is not "meaningless" - particularly when she was a young kid. They notice. She sure liked "not sticking out" (her words).

As for schools, I actually said that they *were* integrated - including the expensive private schools. The very exclusive Sidwell Friends that is mentioned so much since the Obama kids attend (or did) is 40 percent non-white. Same is true of my DD's public school.

True, churches tend to be more segregated. In our neighborhood, we have to go about 1/8 mile to find a neighborhood where there are very wealthy blacks or 1/8 mile in the other direction to find a neighborhood with new immigrants. Same bus stop. Same school. Same fav local restaurant. But the Hispanic immigrants are at the local Catholic church, black residents are at a Pentecostal church on the same block, while most whites don't go to church. The pocket of orthodox Jews (walking distance to a couple of synagogues) worship separately too.

Most people simply feel comfortable with what they are used to. Here, a high level of diversity is not something just to be trotted out to be PC but the norm. It's just the way it is.

Last edited by EveryLady; 11-24-2016 at 01:07 AM..

Old 11-24-2016, 02:06 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Diversity (the kind liberals mean) is no good. Liberals know that, and that's why they promote and push it on others.

If liberals really liked and wanted the diversity they promote, they would move to a non-white or mixed race country. I'd suggest latin America.

Old 11-24-2016, 02:29 AM

1,147 posts, read 718,489 times
Why do Americans always talk about "white people" like they're all the same?

A first-generation Russian immigrant, a second-generation Italian American and a predominately Anglo-Saxon American whose ancestors immigrated 120 years ago would be three very different people.

A city that is majority white can still be incredibly diverse if the white population is multiethnic and contains a sizeable amount of first and second-generation people.

Last edited by Fish & Chips; 11-24-2016 at 02:40 AM..

Old 11-24-2016, 02:40 AM

1,147 posts, read 718,489 times
Why do Americans always talk about "white people" like everyone is the same?

A first-generation Russian immigrant, a second-generation Italian American and a predominately Anglo-Saxon American whose ancestors immigrated 150 years ago would be three very different people.

A city that is majority white can still be incredibly diverse if the white population is multiethnic and contains a sizeable amount of first and second-generation people.

Old 11-24-2016, 02:48 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,115,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
Why do Americans always talk about "white people" like everyone is the same?

A first-generation Russian immigrant, a second-generation Italian American and a predominately Anglo-Saxon American whose ancestors immigrated 150 years ago would be three very different people.

Good point. Many are claiming "white people have no culture" which is crazy as hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies